Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Only one keeper this weekend?

Am I missing something? or are we going into this weekend with only Rudd available? To go into a Premier League game, or any game with one keeper is short sighted!

Can''t be right can it.

Mind you there has been nothing about Steer being recalled that I have seen from this side of the world.

That could be a worry, we don''t even have Cody to fall back on.

Will Remi Matthews be on the bench? I know he is very young and has only played a few games for our reserves, but would Lambert risk not having a sub keeper on the bench.

I am sure Rudd will be fine, he''s done it before! But I wouldn''t like to think we would be like Sheffield utd and not put a sub keeper on the bench. We do not have Phil Jagielka :-)

With 7 subs available there''s no reason not to put Remi Matthews on the bench. With the luck we''re having with refs it''s better to be safe than sorry.

[quote user="Mahogany"]With 7 subs available there''s no reason not to put Remi Matthews on the bench. With the luck we''re having with refs it''s better to be safe than sorry.[/quote]

Yep Matthews will be on the bench - good experience for him

I feel nervous about playing a goalkeeper with so little first team experience. Rudd hasn''t filled me with confidence to be honest. Hopefully he will put in the type of performance which makes me realise precisely why Lambert is happy to have him as his #2, and then we can all move on from having these conversations, but I fully expected us to sign somebody like Richard Wright or Stuart Taylor to sit on the bench for the year and was very surprised when the deadline passed without us doing so. As good as Rudd may or may not be, it reminds me of the season that Gunn broke his leg and we had a young Andy Marshall thrown in at the deep end. It all ended in tears. Personally I think that Lambert has shown a slight naivety in not signing a third keeper. If it weren''t for Ruddy playing so well against Stoke and Wigan we wouldn''t have any points on the board, and now we go into a game which will be one of our best chances this season for 3 points and we have a young kid with little experience in goal, one who has just come off of the back of a 4 goal mauling which can''t have done much for his confidence. If this goes wrong I sincerely hope that Lambert learns from this, I would hedge my bets on Ruddy''s red card not being his only one this year and the ban for the second red is always longer?

What''s the betting that West Brom go into the game with a big forward instructed to give Rudd a few big knocks, they will prey on this as an area of vulnerability. I can''t think of any other team without two experienced keepers. Look at West Brom, they have Carson and Fulop, then QPR have Kenny, Cerny, and Murphy. The same applies to all of them. Lambert is riding his luck, really tempting fate if you ask me. Potentially a huge mistake.

we were in a similar situation a few years ago. can''t remember which year, but joe lewis was on the bench as a 15 or 16 year old. we survived that time and hopefully will this as well.

Just about every time I''ve seen Rudd play I''ve seen lots of goals against. To play with no reserve is negligent and I hate to think of the score if he is sent off or injured after only a few minutes, which sods law dictates will happen as WBA will surely exploit the situation to the full. Lambert seems to have gung-ho approach to points which could be vital come the end of the season. I get the impression that we''re not concerned about relegation which is a shame considering the efforts to get us here.

[quote user="LeJuge"]What''s the betting that West Brom go into the game with a big forward instructed to give Rudd a few big knocks, they will prey on this as an area of vulnerability. I can''t think of any other team without two experienced keepers. Look at West Brom, they have Carson and Fulop, then QPR have Kenny, Cerny, and Murphy. The same applies to all of them. Lambert is riding his luck, really tempting fate if you ask me. Potentially a huge mistake. [/quote]West Brom have Foster and Fulop.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="LeJuge"]What''s the betting that West Brom go into the game with a big forward instructed to give Rudd a few big knocks, they will prey on this as an area of vulnerability. I can''t think of any other team without two experienced keepers. Look at West Brom, they have Carson and Fulop, then QPR have Kenny, Cerny, and Murphy. The same applies to all of them. Lambert is riding his luck, really tempting fate if you ask me. Potentially a huge mistake. [/quote]West Brom have Foster and Fulop.[/quote]Lol, that''s what I meant to type, probably whilst thinking "don''t type Carson, don''t type Carson".

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="LeJuge"]What''s the betting that West Brom go into the game with a big forward instructed to give Rudd a few big knocks, they will prey on this as an area of vulnerability. I can''t think of any other team without two experienced keepers. Look at West Brom, they have Carson and Fulop, then QPR have Kenny, Cerny, and Murphy. The same applies to all of them. Lambert is riding his luck, really tempting fate if you ask me. Potentially a huge mistake. [/quote]West Brom have Foster and Fulop.[/quote]Lol, that''s what I meant to type, probably whilst thinking "don''t type Carson, don''t type Carson".

[/quote]I do agree with you though, even Swansea have signed 3 goalkeepers in Vorm, Moreira and Tremmel

[quote user="LeJuge"]I feel nervous about playing a goalkeeper with so little first team experience. Rudd hasn''t filled me with confidence to be honest. Hopefully he will put in the type of performance which makes me realise precisely why Lambert is happy to have him as his #2, and then we can all move on from having these conversations, but I fully expected us to sign somebody like Richard Wright or Stuart Taylor to sit on the bench for the year and was very surprised when the deadline passed without us doing so.

As good as Rudd may or may not be, it reminds me of the season that Gunn broke his leg and we had a young Andy Marshall thrown in at the deep end. It all ended in tears. Personally I think that Lambert has shown a slight naivety in not signing a third keeper. If it weren''t for Ruddy playing so well against Stoke and Wigan we wouldn''t have any points on the board, and now we go into a game which will be one of our best chances this season for 3 points and we have a young kid with little experience in goal, one who has just come off of the back of a 4 goal mauling which can''t have done much for his confidence.

If this goes wrong I sincerely hope that Lambert learns from this, I would hedge my bets on Ruddy''s red card not being his only one this year and the ban for the second red is always longer?
[/quote]

---

Agreed, although Ruddy''s performances so far (and it is very early days) haven''t really changed anything. The argument was never about his shot-stooping, which is decent enough, but about his judgment, decision-making and positional sense. Against Wigan his bad judgment should have cost us that point. He got bailed out by two last-ditch defensive blocks.

My worry is that Lambert has misjudged the way the emergency goalkeeper loan rule is interpreted. I suspect he believes we can get an emergency loan if we get only one of our three senior keepers (in practice Ruddy or Rudd) injured for any length of time. One of the journalists covering Norwich City said he thought Lambert might try that in that eventuality.

But having looked at previous cases, it seems that you need two of your three (or three of your four, because some clubs have that many) to be out. In other words Ruddy and Rudd would have to be out. If it was only one out the PL would turn round and say it had been our decision to go with only Rudd and Steer (who must count as a senior because he is playing for Yeovil) as back-up and we should have foreseen the possible consequences.

With one keeper out we could try for a free agent, but that is taking a gamble on who might be available at the time.

Looking in perspective that this could be positive for us.

The players will no doubt have had extra training on not conceding pens and getting red cards, the defensive players will no doubt be even more aware of protecting the keeper, which could make us sharper at the back.

Trust Paul Lambert

[quote user="Number 9"]Looking in perspective that this could be positive for us.

The players will no doubt have had extra training on not conceding pens and getting red cards, the defensive players will no doubt be even more aware of protecting the keeper, which could make us sharper at the back.

Trust Paul Lambert[/quote]That will all mean nothing if he drops a cross in the six yard box.

[quote user="LeJuge"]I feel nervous about playing a goalkeeper with so little first team experience. Rudd hasn''t filled me with confidence to be honest.
[/quote]

I agree, it''s worrying.

Rudd has very little experience at any level and I don''t think in any of his appearances for us he''s ever put in a performance where people could honestly have come away thinking "wow, this lad is something special".

I would guess Lambert is just taking a bit of a gamble by having him as No. 2 to Ruddy and hoping he wouldn''t have to call on him much.

What the lad has got on his side though is that he''s "home grown" so the crowd are probably less likely to get on his back or put the blame on him if he''s not doing well.

Hopefully he''ll just be "on it" on Sunday and save everything.

I''m with you cookieace...shocking amount of negativity from fellow NCFC fans. Its prob this new breed of football fan who has make cara rud a quieter place over the last few years...grumble grumble...ssssssshhhhh!

get behind your team and back them from the off on Sunday...and lets not all go mute like cara rud did 2nd half against stoke.

[quote user="Cookieace"]So much negativity, PL has done very well after these past two years and now people are questioning his judgement? Unbelievable If you ask me.

ILWT![/quote]He isn''t the sun god, he is human and he can make mistakes. This is potentially a mistake. It will become a mistake if Rudd gets injured or sent off, or shows himself way out of his depth. I don''t think we can afford the risk, if the decision costs us 2 or 3 points, then it could be crucial. I find it laughable that because Lambert has done well we have to agree with every one of his decisions. If football ever becomes like that I will stop attending games.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I''m with you cookieace...shocking amount of negativity from fellow NCFC fans. Its prob this new breed of football fan who has make cara rud a quieter place over the last few years...grumble grumble...ssssssshhhhh!

get behind your team and back them from the off on Sunday...and lets not all go mute like cara rud did 2nd half against stoke.[/quote]New breed? Season ticket for 16 of my 28 years alive mate, 3 of the other years spent living 300 miles way and another during the Chase boycott. I think you will find it is those who nod and agree and worship every decision made by non-playing staff who are the quiet ones mate "siiiittt daaaaaannnn, I caaarrnn''ttt staaand uppp wit me bovril, me ''ips are playin uuupp, get aaaaooott if ya wannaaaaa staaand".

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Cookieace"]So much negativity, PL has done very well after these past two years and now people are questioning his judgement? Unbelievable If you ask me.

ILWT![/quote]He isn''t the sun god, he is human and he can make mistakes. This is potentially a mistake. It will become a mistake if Rudd gets injured or sent off, or shows himself way out of his depth. I don''t think we can afford the risk, if the decision costs us 2 or 3 points, then it could be crucial. I find it laughable that because Lambert has done well we have to agree with every one of his decisions. If football ever becomes like that I will stop attending games.[/quote]

I am not saying that, if it fucks up then you should jump on his back.

I personally also think lambert is riding his luck, but at the same time I trust his judgement.

[quote user="Cookieace"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Cookieace"]So much negativity, PL has done very well after these past two years and now people are questioning his judgement? Unbelievable If you ask me.

ILWT![/quote]He isn''t the sun god, he is human and he can make mistakes. This is potentially a mistake. It will become a mistake if Rudd gets injured or sent off, or shows himself way out of his depth. I don''t think we can afford the risk, if the decision costs us 2 or 3 points, then it could be crucial. I find it laughable that because Lambert has done well we have to agree with every one of his decisions. If football ever becomes like that I will stop attending games.[/quote]

I am not saying that, if it fucks up then you should jump on his back.

I personally also think lambert is riding his luck, but at the same time I trust his judgement.[/quote]Well then we are of two completely different schools of thought. Personally I hate those who jump over something with the amazing gift of hindsight. By putting my fears out there now, I am more than entitled to say "told you so". You, on the other hand, will have no right to do so having criticised those who dare question Lambert. On the other hand, if Rudd has an absolute blinder and looks like a potential future England keeper, keeps us in the game, and makes us all realise how great he is.... then I will say "Now I see why Lambert didn''t sign an experienced back up keeper". At least, I will say that if we get through this entire season without regretting the signing of another keeper. The fact that you are criticising me for being afraid of a possible eventuality, but would be happy for me to remain silent and instead be critical in retrospect, says it all really. That is the last thing that I would do, what kind of person would I have to be to praise Lambert for not signing a keeper, only to criticise him for the same thing a few days later? I''d love to be proved wrong, but the idea that I have to suppress my instincts and opinions and become one of those know it alls who predicted everything but "just didn''t say it" is not particularly appealing to me. So I''ll say it again, I am worried about Rudd with a kid on the bench, would have preferred Lambert to sign an experienced keeper. I''ve stuck my opinion out there, and as the season progresses we will find out whether or not I am proved wrong.... or indeed whether Lambert signs another keeper at some stage. I''ve been wrong plenty of times before, just like I''ve been right plenty of times before. I was wrong about Simeon Jackson last season, who I had completely written off, if Rudd wants to prove me completely wrong too then nobody will be any more happier than me.