Sign in to follow this  
ca

Team for WBA ??

would that be the diamond formation with that squad? as i think that we will play a similar starting line up and formation to the one we used against stoke(4-4-2 with the two wingers), except with rudd in goal instead of ruddy.

and i was wondering, is James Vaughan going to be fit enough to be on the bench, i hope so because i am excited about him :)

It''s make or break for Rudd as a disastrous performance would no doubt have Lambert looking belatedly at experienced back-up free-agents such as Marcus Hanneman. I just hope and pray that Rudd performs well against Long, Odemwinge(if fit) etc as I can see us losing this game if he doesn''t.  WBA will be no pushovers.  

The goal keepers performance doesn''t dictate the team performance. Rudd only has to play really well if the defenders are playing poorly. If Rudd has a ''poor'' game, it will be because of one or two silly mistakes that are down to bad luck or inexperience, or because he has far too much to deal with because the defence is rubbish. Its going to be very hard for him, its not make or break he''s 19, he could have another 20 years in him. One bad performance in your first premier league start will not make or break his Norwich or whole career. And anyway, we can''t have another GK in the squad until 1st January, and Ruddy will have probably got sent off again before then with all these diving strikers around.

[quote user="J.Warman"] and i was wondering, is James Vaughan going to be fit enough to be on the bench, i hope so because i am excited about him :)[/quote]

Have to admit I''d forgotten about Vaughan, wouldn''t it be good to see him on the bench?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The goal keepers performance doesn''t dictate the team performance. Rudd only has to play really well if the defenders are playing poorly. If Rudd has a ''poor'' game, it will be because of one or two silly mistakes that are down to bad luck or inexperience, or because he has far too much to deal with because the defence is rubbish. Its going to be very hard for him, its not make or break he''s 19, he could have another 20 years in him. One bad performance in your first premier league start will not make or break his Norwich or whole career. And anyway, we can''t have another GK in the squad until 1st January, and Ruddy will have probably got sent off again before then with all these diving strikers around.[/quote]

We can get a GK if he is a free agent !!

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The goal keepers performance doesn''t dictate the team performance. Rudd only has to play really well if the defenders are playing poorly. If Rudd has a ''poor'' game, it will be because of one or two silly mistakes that are down to bad luck or inexperience, or because he has far too much to deal with because the defence is rubbish. Its going to be very hard for him, its not make or break he''s 19, he could have another 20 years in him. One bad performance in your first premier league start will not make or break his Norwich or whole career. And anyway, we can''t have another GK in the squad until 1st January, and Ruddy will have probably got sent off again before then with all these diving strikers around.[/quote]

[/quote]

But they can''t be registered in the 25 man squad until the next transfer window. Deadline for squads was 5PM 1st September or something like that.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote] But they can''t be registered in the 25 man squad until the next transfer window. Deadline for squads was 5PM 1st September or something like that.[/quote]

LOL.... that''s irrelevant as he would still be eligible to play for us immediately.

It''s hardly make or break for Declan Rudd. Obviously if he has a shocker he might not be considered again for a while but he''s a very young keeper with lots of potential to come back again in the future. Lambert knows that and clearly rates him.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote] But they can''t be registered in the 25 man squad until the next transfer window. Deadline for squads was 5PM 1st September or something like that.[/quote]

LOL.... that''s irrelevant as he would still be eligible to play for us immediately.

[/quote]

LOL how would he? Unless under 21, they have to be registered in the 25 man squad to be able to play in the premiership, outside of the transfer windows, you cannot register players to the 25 man squad, unless there is some rule that if you haven''t filled the 25 you can add free agents, but i have never heard/seen this in action. So either find me evidence that you are allowed to add players to the 25 man squad outside of the transfer window, or accept your wrong.

Ok maybe you can add free-agents, but that just makes registering players a pointless exercise. Might as well just limit the number of players you can have at the club.

Anyway. this discussion is pointless, Lambert doesn''t want another goalkeeper, just because you want one doesn''t mean were going to get one.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Ok maybe you can add free-agents, but that just makes registering players a pointless exercise. Might as well just limit the number of players you can have at the club. Anyway. this discussion is pointless, Lambert doesn''t want another goalkeeper, just because you want one doesn''t mean were going to get one.[/quote]

It''s in the rules..... players under 21 and free-agents do not have to be registered and can be added to augment the squad. I''m glad you agree at last .... LOL

He might want another keeper after Sunday as I am willing to bet that Ruddy will be sent off again this season.  

[quote user="87canary"]Rudd

Naughton - De Laet - Barnett - Tierney

Bennett - Crofts - Fox - Pilkington

Holt - Morison[/quote]I agree with your team but how can you drop Johnson after the Stoke and Chelsea performances?

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"][quote user="87canary"]Rudd Naughton - De Laet - Barnett - Tierney Bennett - Crofts - Fox - Pilkington Holt - Morison[/quote]

I agree with your team but how can you drop Johnson after the Stoke and Chelsea performances?
[/quote]

You can''t [:)]

Rudd

Naughton De Laet Barnett Tierny

Johnson

Bennett Pilkington

Hoolahan

Morison Holt

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Rudd Naughton De Laet Barnett Tierny Johnson Bennett Pilkington Hoolahan Morison Holt[/quote]

Against Stoke I got the impression we played a different kind of 442, different to the diamond with Crofts and Johnson as more defensive midfielders and not playing anyone in Hoolahans diamond tip position. However both Bennett and Pilkington would cut inside rather than play as out and out widemen.

I liked this especially given Bennett and Pilkingtons ability to shoot. (Didn''t see it too many shots against Stoke but it was their Premierships debuts).

Would be interesting to see all three playing and what formation etc.

[quote user="87canary"]Rudd

Naughton - De Laet - Barnett - Tierney

Bennett - Crofts - Fox - Pilkington

Holt - Morison[/quote]I agree with your team, but how can you drop Wes after the Wigan and Chelsea performances?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="87canary"]Rudd Naughton - De Laet - Barnett - Tierney Bennett - Crofts - Fox - Pilkington Holt - Morison[/quote]

I agree with your team, but how can you drop Wes after the Wigan and Chelsea performances?[/quote]

This comment is fair enough and also testament to the strength of our squad and the options we now have[Y]

I havvnt been to any of the games yet due to work but going on sunday so hrd for me to really so who has played well and who hassnt. I still think Lambert probably doesnt know what his best XI in all honesty so can see him possibly chopping and changing a bit. I dontknow if Naughton has played well but i think Russell Martin deserves a go after how good he was for us last season. I would go for Morisson although from the sounds of it Chris Martin hasnt done too badly up front

I must confess to not knowing an awful lot about how WBA play which will obviously impact on Paul Lambert''s team selection. I''ve got this idea in my head that Roy Hodgson likes a fairly traditional 4-4-2 but I''m not sure whether they have a huge amount of width in the side. Can anyone shed any light on this? Paul Lambert has changed his side around for all three game so far so I would not be surprised to see further changes.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I must confess to not knowing an awful lot about how WBA play which will obviously impact on Paul Lambert''s team selection. I''ve got this idea in my head that Roy Hodgson likes a fairly traditional 4-4-2 but I''m not sure whether they have a huge amount of width in the side. Can anyone shed any light on this? Paul Lambert has changed his side around for all three game so far so I would not be surprised to see further changes.

[/quote]

I had a little look on the chalkboards and analysis of the Man Utd game, seems to me that they attack down one side only and defensive on the other. Also lots of cross field balls from the right to left behind the midfield line. So I expect Naughton to be kept busy on Sunday by Shorey.

You can''t drop hoolahan for performance reasons but unfortunately for him you can drop him for tactical reasons

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]You can''t drop hoolahan for performance reasons but unfortunately for him you can drop him for tactical reasons[/quote]

I don''t think that there are any tactical reasons for dropping him for Sunday though. If WBA play a 4-4-2 as we expect then he can be accommodated as part of a diamond midfield in his usual position at the tip or he could play off a central striker in a sort of 4-4-1-1 and drop back into midfield when we are out of possession to try and outnumber their midfield. If we play a flat midfield with two strikers as we did against Stoke then he will miss out as PL will likely want to pair Crofts and Johnson in the centre so he will miss out.

I was impressed with his performance against Chelsea and a little surprised both when he was taken off and by the lack of comment about his withdrawal on here after the game. I had a check on the Guardian chalkboards today to check whether I was imagining things and it did sort of back up what I was thinking. Wes made 19 passes in the Chelsea game of which 16 were successful. Now that does not sound like much of a contribution at all but you have to bear in mind that the whole team only made 250 passes in the whole game (Chelsea made 598) so for a 60 minute performance that is not too bad.

Now my overall impression of his performance against Chelsea was that he was instrumental in getting us back into the game after we were pretty much chasing shadows for the first 15-20 minutes. His passing statistics do seem to back this up as from the 15-45 minute mark he made 14 passes of which 12 were successful. It is also worth noting that one of the ''unsuccessful'' passes was the cross which Holty tried to back flick in. He did not contribute a great deal after the break which obviously led to him being replaced by Morison. Our goal came just minutes later which is probably why nobody was that keen to question the decision to take him off.

It''s difficult to know how much you can read into the statistics from one game but I get the feeling that if he can be influential, for what was admittedly a small amount of time, against a side like Chelsea then he should be able to reproduce that against lesser sides. He is a player who thrives on having the ball at his feet and he is likely to see a lot more of the ball in our home games you would think. I''m not overly convinced that the diamond can work in the Premier League so he may find his opportunities limited but I feel we need to find a way of getting him into the team as he has probably been our most influential player over the past couple of seasons.

Shack, don''t get me wrong I do agree with you, Hoolahan is an instrumental part of the team here at Norwich. But it is reassuring to know that Lambert won''t build his team around him in so much that it shows our squad depth.

Over the last two seasons Hoolahan''s fitness (in terms of whether he has been injured or not, not his overall fitness during games) has almost made or broken our season. It''s good to know that this season that won''t be the case and we can use him intelligently in games where it will benefit having him on the pitch...i.e. Wigan and Chelsea where he performed admirably in both.