Sign in to follow this  
Mook

Re: HOPE THIS IS A RUMOUR

Why is it not a step up???? From Managing Iwan and Abbey to managing Forster and Goater??! They have a rich Chairman, a huge stadium, lots of support and were in the play-offs last year, that sounds quite good to me.

Umm - i''ve heard that Reading are lining up Cotterill (who was booted out from Sunderland)

They were saying Laurie Sanchez at Wycombe. But I expect they can do better than that. There are plenty of managers out of work.

Steve Cotterill, Joe Kinnear, Bryan Robson, George Graham

Maybe reding have money and a nice stadium but support is not as good as ours and remember when south stand is done ours will be a good stadium too. Sorry but dont think Reading would be a step up.

Then I believe he got them promoted again. Why slag him off, he was a reletively young manager at that point in time and to be honest Ravanelli and Juninho were very patchy players and still are to a certain extent.

Sorry to offend chicken, didnt realise you were a closet fan of captain marvel.

I have no particular beef with Robson, its just that I dont believe it''s that difficult to get a team promoted when you have millions to spend on foreign imports.

I''m surprised he lasted as long as he did, I think he survived for a long time at middlesborough on his reputation as a brilliant player.

Dont forget that Robson was very good mates with Steve Gibson the chairman as well, I think this extended his stay longer than it would have been. The boro fans seemed to want Robbo out after about three years.

Middlesbrough are the prime example to prove that money cannot guarantee success. Look who they now have: Juninho (again), Southgate, Mendieta, Mills, Nemeth, Maccarrone, Zenden. And they only just scraped a home win against Everton and were just above Wolves.

Bryan Robson may have been a great player but he got his teams to drastically underperform. Yes they got promoted after relegation but they should never have been relegated anyway having spent the best part of £30m. Even Paul Merson left, blaming a drinking culture.

Not so long ago Middlesbrough and Norwich could be considered as equals, sooner or later their massive overspending will come to an end when Gibson realises what he has achieved for it. They haven''t even secured a UEFA cup berth. A couple of cup finals and battles with relegation.

The lesson? Grow organically, Its virtually impossible to buy the Premiership title (although Blackburn in 92 and currently Chelsea (perhaps!) may prove the exceptions). You can buy promotion, but not longevity.

Looking forward to tomorrow. OTBC.