Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Tony Fernandes... a lucky escape

He will lose money in Formula One.He will lose money at QPR.I predict he will realise this and leave both Team Lotus and QPR up the creek without a paddle. Ultimately it will be QPR that find themselves with spriralling costs (if the Premership gamble doesn''t pay off) and back in the Championship with BIG debts.  I think he talks the talk, he''ll throw a little cash at it and he''s hoping for the best!Pleased he came nowhere near us.Only an opinion though [:|]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]He will lose money in Formula One.

He will lose money at QPR.

I predict he will realise this and leave both Team Lotus and QPR up the creek without a paddle. Ultimately it will be QPR that find themselves with spriralling costs (if the Premership gamble doesn''t pay off) and back in the Championship with BIG debts.  I think he talks the talk, he''ll throw a little cash at it and he''s hoping for the best!

Pleased he came nowhere near us.

Only an opinion though [:|]
[/quote]

Yeah the fool....with only an estimated wealth of £300 million quid, that''ll learn him.....

Tony didn''t naively chuck some money in to a Formula One team, he started his own and would have been accutely aware of how much it would cost him to be competitive. They have invested in some very good people and with their other Malaysian investors their future looks very bright. Team Lotus wouldn''t exist if it wasn''t for Tony, I very much doubt he''ll be leaving them ''up the creek'' any time soon.

I do struggle to make sense of his QPR investment however. I know he is a die hard West Ham fan and got turned away by Gold & Sullivan, I do wonder if he''s got involved in QPR out of spite, but he seems too shrewd for that.

I predict he will realise this and leave both Team Lotus and QPR up the creek without a paddle. Ultimately it will be QPR that find themselves with spriralling costs (if the Premership gamble doesn''t pay off) and back in the Championship with BIG debts.  I think he talks the talk, he''ll throw a little cash at it and he''s hoping for the best!

[/quote]

---

I don''t think there was ever much serious chance of him taking us over (as opposed to investing a bit) but even if he had done I doubt he would have behaved here as he is doing at QPR. Although I''m not even sure they''re going that overboard. They have signed nine players and we have signed eight. It depends what they''re paying in wages, of course. It may not be so much; Lansbury, for example,went to West Ham rather than QPR.

But even if they have pushed the boat out they can afford to. There is a massive difference between us and QPR and it is not Fernandes; it is the wealth of  the seriously-rich Mittal family. That is where the real money is. If the Mittals are prepared to bankroll QPR the club can survive relegation.

I appreciate its only football rumours, but if he has come out saying he wishes to add Beckham to his squad (with no word from Colin) then i think that is a little naive.  I wouldn''t expect McNasty coming out and saying what players were on a list of potential additions.  That is the managers role.Just because he is worth £300 million, doesn''t mean he will want to fritter it away.  There is such a thing as tomany fingers in to many pies.  Each of those projects needs devotion.We will have to wait and see.

For me the big issue with all these investors is whether they let the manager chose the players that are bought.

The failures are inevitably where the manager is forced to play players that are not his choice, don''t fit in and therefore don''t perform.

There are a few whispers that Colin didn''t pick all the new QPR players and if so then they may well fall apart.

Even Chelsea have fallen foul of that problem.

I prefer our way but dont begrudge QPR fans theirs , apart from the few tools who have come on here lately of course shouting their mouths off. I think for them anyone not the two idiots who were in charge was an improvement on the situation.

What will make or break QPR''s future is not just Fernandes but also whether the Mittals are happy to invst big.  While Fernandes has a big fortune he is going to want to continue investing in his F1 team so not going to want to spend all his money on the Hoops, so to build the infrastructure as well as keeping a competitive side is going to need more than I reckon he is going to want to spend.

I suspect Fernandes''s investment in QPR has more to do with his contacts with Bernie Eclestone than anything else.

Ecclestone ended up with more involvement than he initially wanted after he had to buy buy Briatore''s shares, and he''s been quite publicly looking to sell as soon as possible for a while. He knows Fernandes through F1 - wouldn''t be surprised if he offered him a good deal as he wanted out. Fernandes presumably had a pot of money earmarked for West Ham, and after getting knocked back there QPR probably looked like a good deal. I certainly wouldn''t have minded having him as an investor at Norwich - AirAsia is a good company that''s growing fast...

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]I appreciate its only football rumours, but if he has come out saying he wishes to add Beckham to his squad (with no word from Colin) then i think that is a little naive.  I wouldn''t expect McNasty coming out and saying what players were on a list of potential additions.  That is the managers role.

Just because he is worth £300 million, doesn''t mean he will want to fritter it away.  There is such a thing as tomany fingers in to many pies.  Each of those projects needs devotion.

We will have to wait and see.
[/quote]

---

I think that is more of a problem with Fernandes. but in terms of his overall business interests rather than just his sporting ones. According to the FT there were already rumblings among his subordinates (before he bought QPR) that he might be expanding his various Asian airline operations too fast. Getting fingers into too many pies.

I suspect that after his initial splurge of talking about QPR,which is natural when you''ve just taken over a business, he will step back a bit. If I was a QPR fan I''d hope the new chief executive was a solid choice, and certainly better than the old regime of Paladini and Briatore. Water under the ridge, of course, but anyone reading the report of the FA tribunal will know that QPR are very lucky bunnies indeed to be in the Premier League.

I''m happy we are where we are and with what we'' ve got, but if we were to bring in a buyer or investor I would very much have liked it to be Tony Fernandes. He''s young, he''s very smart, he''s a football fan, he runs one of the most successful (and still rapidly expanding) businesses in Asia and he seems like a genuinely decent guy. Very down to earth. I particularly think his personality would have suited us. Imagine him versus Sullivan / Gold or some of the other tycoons. He will not have invested in QPR lightly and he does not seem like the type of man to dabble in something and then run away. QPR are lucky to have got him in my view. The only slight issue is ''why QPR?'', but as someone else said, maybe its the F1 connections. With Chelski and Fulham nearby and their traditional attendances wavering around the mid teens it doesn''t seem like a potentially sizeable club, whereas we have little competition for fans support and regularly attract 10,000 more per game. Imagine if QPR were to expand their ground to 35,000 as has been talked about for Carra....can you see them getting more than 20,000? Unless they want a ground filled with 20,000 glory seekers, god forbid!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]He will lose money in Formula One.He will lose money at QPR.I predict he will realise this and leave both Team Lotus and QPR up the creek without a paddle. Ultimately it will be QPR that find themselves with spriralling costs (if the Premership gamble doesn''t pay off) and back in the Championship with BIG debts.  I think he talks the talk, he''ll throw a little cash at it and he''s hoping for the best!Pleased he came nowhere near us.Only an opinion though [:|][/quote]More on QPR, you lot have got it back, Fernandes is not our only backer, we have Mittal, he has increased his stake in the club, the years ahead for us are golden, for you lot i see onlt Canary shit

[/quote]

I would like to see the Norwich canary on the Team Lotus Car that would I''m sure put Fernandas''s nose out of joint.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

I would like to see the Norwich canary on the Team Lotus Car that would I''m sure put Fernandas''s nose out of joint.

Sorry meant Lotus Renault

[/quote]