Sign in to follow this  
KCASN

Korey Smith and Chris Martin!

I really think we have got 2 cracking youngsters in Smith and Martin. Korey always steps up to the mark and plays some quite sintilating stuff at times. Aswell as Martin, who Lambert quoted him being "the best finisher in the squad". I think games will be few and far between for them both unfortunately. But I still think they can play a big role in the season. Id happily welcome back the Holt, Martin combo. Jackson for me is too inconsistant and crumbles under the pressure of a 1 on 1. Be very interesting to see the starting line up and who can cut it on the bench! OTBC!

To succeed in the Premier League you need pace all over the pitch, therefore it would be unlikely for Chris Martin to play up front with Holt or Morison.

I would rather see Martin be groomed as a longer term Hoolahan replacement as Martin can pick a pass, he has a bit of vision, he is strong and has a good shot. He reminds me a bit of a Teddy Sheringham (obviously Martin needs to develope more) but that is where I see Martin''s future longer term.

Jacksons goals in the last quarter of the season got us promoted, without those we may have even struggled to get in the play offs. He has looked sharpe in the friendlies and as stated has pace. He deserves his start with Holt up front and has a good chance of being a success. Both Martin and smith will have to be patient to get games this season. Both are well down the pecking order and may have to wait for a run of injuries or suspensions. They may well get outings in the cup competitions though although by our recent form may not amount to much more than a couple of games.

They both do seem to feature in Lamberts broader plans

"Jacksons goals in the last quarter of the season got us promoted"

nonsense

Promotion was achieved by the team reaching 84 points - accumulated over the WHOLE season.

You wayward presumption is that had another striker been playing instead of Jackson, he would not have scored. What about earlier games where Jackson was playing and did not score ? If another striker had playing instead of him he may well have scored, thereby perhaps getting us promoted earlier.

What about goals by R Martin and Crofts. Do they not count ? Do the points they won not count either ? As to struggling to get into the playoffs that is ludicrous.

Whether pace alone is enough we shall have to see. I would agree that a better role for C Martin will be playing behind the front two. Korey Smith may have to begin to turn work rate into a bit more than work rate.

But at least we do have options this time, as well as cover. Previously we olky had to have the odd injury or two and it was a case of square pegs in round holes with players playing out of position to cover.

I hope they do play, because they both have much to offer. In mid-season Martin seemed to have lost a little spark, but early on he was great in finishing. Jackson came good at the end.

Jackson worries me by his low conversion rate, of chances to goals, and by his seeming freezing when in one-on-one situations with the keeper.

If he starts as he did last year, rather than as he finished, I can see him losing his place rapidly. With relatively few games to play we can''t afford a slow start, or it could be too late, especially with our run-in.

How far Martin will figure, I''m not sure. He would be an excellent substitute for Wes at the tip of the diamond, because of his close control and an ability to turn or beat a player, but this is true of Surman, who is his nearest rival.

With a question mark about Vaughan already, we may be down to five strikers effectively, and an injury or suspension for Holt or Morison could mean a competition between Martin and the revived Willbraham.

Korey''s position is simpler, although the midfield is crowded with players and combinations. He must surely rank behind Bennett and Pilkington, and perhaps Crofts and Naughton ( if Martin R keeps the RB slot). But failure on the left could mean one of Bennett or Pilkington playing there, and a chink of hope for Korey. It may be that PL could want to "shut up shop", despite his attacking intentions, and adding Korey to the midfield would help in that.

Korey is still very young, despite his experience, and he wll get better. So his chances may be greater with time.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"]To succeed in the Premier League you need pace all over the pitch, therefore it would be unlikely for Chris Martin to play up front with Holt or Morison.

I would rather see Martin be groomed as a longer term Hoolahan replacement as Martin can pick a pass, he has a bit of vision, he is strong and has a good shot. He reminds me a bit of a Teddy Sheringham (obviously Martin needs to develope more) but that is where I see Martin''s future longer term.[/quote]Everybody keeps saying that Martin should be turned into an attacking midfielder, does anybody know him? I mean, would he even want to be turned into an attacking midfielder? He has spent his life as a striker, and done a pretty good job so far. Maybe he would be happier playing for a smaller club as a striker than a bigger club as an attacking midfielder? Just a thought, but the main thing is that he enjoys his football right? If he had stayed fit it could quite easily have been Martin coming into form at the end of the year instead of Simeone Jackson, we all saw how good Chris Martin is at finishing when he has a bit of confidence. When your chips are down and you have a rough patch the last thing you need is for somebody to tell you to give up and change your game, he had a few months of not really scoring, but for me he is as good as Billy Sharp who struggled at Sheff Utd but is the star man at Doncaster. If I were Chris Martin I would be asking to go on loan for half a season to a Championship club to prove a point, prove that he is a good striker who can stick the ball in the net. If Lambert reckons that he is one of the best finishers that he has seen in the game (he actually said that) then sticking him in midfield seems stupid to me. Maybe, just maybe, he would be happier being a Billy Sharp at a Doncaster like club then stuck in midfield at any other club. Personally I think the word "groomed" is in itself a horrible word, it''s manipulative, I prefer the "let''s just ask him straight if he fancies changing his game". Maybe he would to stay at Norwich, maybe he just wants to go and prove himself as a goalscorer.

"then sticking him in midfield seems stupid to me"

I don''t think anyone is stuck in the midfield the way Lambert has the team playing. It is a very fluid formation with even both the fullbacks encouraged to attack and score - remember R Martins goal at poorman road.

As to whose choice it will be then it is up to the manager (the clue is in the title) where a player plays and how he plays. There is no grooming and certainly there will not be any aking him whether he fancise changing his game.

Lambert has his style/,methods etc. Martin fits in or not, and if not then I''m sure if he goes elsewhere then he will be told pretty much the same. Hoolahan has benefited from playing where Lambert wants him as has Holt it would appear, given his wretched time at Forest.

Chris Martin has no need to drop down to the championship to prove himself as a goalscorer. It is the Premier League we are in. He needs to take the chances that come his way and prove he is worth a place in the team, irrespective of where he is asked to player.

He is a footballer, not a display piece.

I don''t agree with the OP''s assertion that Chrissy will not feature in the first team much this season or that he should or will go out on loan. You only have to look at the Parma game - anyone who got on the pitch for that game can expect to have a significant role. It was obvious Lambert was eyeing up his first team options and formations. Everyone will have to accept a degree of rotation but it will not have escaped Lambert''s attention how hungry, sharp and effective Martin looked when he came on. No, he''s going to play, and he''s going to be great, i have absolutely no doubt. I actually think that despite all the money spent on JV and Morrison, we could very well have the Holy Trinity from League 1 back in the saddle and ripping premier league defences a new one on plenty of occasions. Lambert won''t hesitate to do that if those are the ones who perform best. Chances are one or both will get injured at some point, and or we''ll go 4-5-1 on occasion, so the others will have their chances too, but i still fancy those front three to be effective.

I JUST LOVE THE WHOLE SQUAD!! ...Best squad in my living memory!

Jacko is class,and getting better..Chrissy on his day(at derby last year he was,as Lambert would say)"unplayable"

THE WHOLE FRACKING SQUAD!!!!

And we still have NORWICH 9v2 1P5WICH for as long as there is football!!!

[quote user="City1st"]"Jacksons goals in the last quarter of the season got us promoted"

nonsense

Promotion was achieved by the team reaching 84 points - accumulated over the WHOLE season.

You wayward presumption is that had another striker been playing instead of Jackson, he would not have scored. What about earlier games where Jackson was playing and did not score ? If another striker had playing instead of him he may well have scored, thereby perhaps getting us promoted earlier.

What about goals by R Martin and Crofts. Do they not count ? Do the points they won not count either ? As to struggling to get into the playoffs that is ludicrous.

Whether pace alone is enough we shall have to see. I would agree that a better role for C Martin will be playing behind the front two. Korey Smith may have to begin to turn work rate into a bit more than work rate.

But at least we do have options this time, as well as cover. Previously we olky had to have the odd injury or two and it was a case of square pegs in round holes with players playing out of position to cover.[/quote]

The point is that if Jackson had not scored those 8 or 9 goals in the final run in we would not have got anywhere near 84 points. Who do you think would or could have scored them. Holt was playing and was knackered,wilbraham was injured, Mac Donald on loan and Martin either injured or not picked. Have you forgotten his season tally was 4 in the league what odds him having got the 8 or 9 that jackson did at the end

Both will be involved remember the reserve league is going to be very competitive too. So finally after the mess that reserves have been in our players will have competitive games to porve they are worthy of consideration for the step up.

I believe C. Martin will be involved a great deal from the bench, his chance will come through the season with injuries, suspensions and cup competitions. A good player who will have a good season I feel.

Korey will have a season in the reserves, I think it is wise in January to think about a short term loan move. I think he needs to develop year on year and after sitting the majority of the second half of last season on the bench he needs to play. Do I think with injuries and suspensions he will? No. I think he may well be on the bench for cup games etc. Adeyemi is an interesting one again maybe after January he may well benefit from a loan move. We will bring players in, in jan. and for sure they will be players competing for 1st team positions and places on the bench. So these two will see there time in the first squad very, very limited

"The point is that if Jackson had not scored those 8 or 9 goals in the final run in we would not have got anywhere near 84 points"

more nonsense

And if the others had not scored the goals during the rest of the season when Jackson was not playing ... ''we would not have got anywhere near 84 points''

If Ruddy had not made two or three good saves, wins would have been draws and .... ''we would not have got anywhere near 84 points''.

Even staying with your own ridiculous claim we would have easily made the playoffs. Jackson scored 9 nine goals in the latter stage of the season. Of them 4 against Scunthorpe and ipswich had no effect. Against Watford, Derby and Portsmouth he scored 5 adding an extra 6 points.

Without those 6 points we would have been on 78 points - well within the playoffs. In fact 2 points off an automatic spot !

So out of all those last games Jackson played, the other striker in his place would have only had to score a goal away at Pompey and a goal at home to Coventry and we would still have gone up automatically.

[quote user="City1st"]"Jacksons goals in the last quarter of the season got us promoted" nonsense Promotion was achieved by the team reaching 84 points - accumulated over the WHOLE season. You wayward presumption is that had another striker been playing instead of Jackson, he would not have scored. What about earlier games where Jackson was playing and did not score ? If another striker had playing instead of him he may well have scored, thereby perhaps getting us promoted earlier. What about goals by R Martin and Crofts. Do they not count ? Do the points they won not count either ? As to struggling to get into the playoffs that is ludicrous. Whether pace alone is enough we shall have to see. I would agree that a better role for C Martin will be playing behind the front two. Korey Smith may have to begin to turn work rate into a bit more than work rate. But at least we do have options this time, as well as cover. Previously we olky had to have the odd injury or two and it was a case of square pegs in round holes with players playing out of position to cover.[/quote]

i expect if you asked grant holt or anyone else in the team or lambert himself they would all say that jackson running into form at that time made the difference between us going up or being in the play offs ...

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Simeon Jackson will not cut it in the prem. I hope I''m wrong.[/quote]

I think Simeon is improving all the time. His game just seems to have come on leaps and bounds in the last 4-6 months (I''m sure that''s partly a confidence thing because of all the goals he stuck away at the end of last season).

His movement and work rate is brilliant, he takes defenders on and puts them on the back foot. Something else I think he does very well is get down the sides of teams and he''s not afraid to cross the ball with his left (weaker) foot when he has to.

Whether he''s going to have enough to bother the top sides I''m not sure but I think there are a few other sides he could cause real problems.

[quote user="City1st"] Korey Smith may have to begin to turn work rate into a bit more than work rate..[/quote]

Bingo.

He''ll give you everything he''s got for 90mins but at the moment he lacks the cutting edge you need to compete at this kind of level

[quote user="City1st"]He''ll give you everything he''s got for 90mins but at the moment he lacks the cutting edge you need to compete at this kind of level[/quote]The amount of times he''s had a chance on goal, only to strike it straight at the goalkeeper.I''m not sure why everyone''s surprised about Chris Martin and it''s taken a PRE SEASON FRIENDLY for you all to be excited? He''s young, one of the best footballers at the club and his attitude is an asset to the way he plays the game.He''ll still get the groaners complaining he''s lazy though, whatever he does.

GJP. I fully agree with your assessment of Korey and feel he needs games in the Reserves against the better opposition there to improve his game. As you rightfully said his workrate is first class but he is lacking with other parts of his game, this is why he was successful in League One but not as successful in the Championship.

However, I must agree with ''can u sit down please'' with his feelings about Simeon Jackson.......... and I also hope I am wrong. Certainly his pace is his strength but his movement, I would suggest, is what needs great improvement. At times players were looking for him to make meaningful runs off the ball and he did not seem to be on the same wavelength.

I have already stated that I do not feel he will start too many matches this season and I do not feel that he will score too many goals either. Time will tell.

Thought Korey was MOTM vs Middlesboro away last season, he''s just unlucky that David Fox was in such fine form and he couldn''t find his way back in, he''s far from finished at Norwich, same goes for Chris Martin, wouldn''t suprise me if either of the two ended up first choice this season.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]wouldn''t suprise me if either of the two ended up first choice this season.[/quote]

That would surprise me.

"i expect if you asked grant holt or anyone else in the team or lambert himself they would all say that jackson running into form at that time made the difference between us going up or being in the play offs ...

Where the actual facts suggest, still it is an improvement on us ''not even being anywhere near the playoffs without Jackson''.

Note to Carra Rud

I did not make the comment " He''ll give you everything he''s got for 90mins but at the moment he lacks the cutting edge you need to compete at this kind of level".