Sign in to follow this  
McCanary

Wigan route

i hail from the north of manchester, and whenever i go back up, i find the fastest route to be a47, a17, a1 then m62. wigan isn`t more than 20 miles from where my mum lives and it`d be motorway so wouldn`t take too long from there.

[quote user="exiled blue"]i hail from the north of manchester, and whenever i go back up, i find the fastest route to be a47, a17, a1 then m62. wigan isn`t more than 20 miles from where my mum lives and it`d be motorway so wouldn`t take too long from there.[/quote]

That''s the way I''m gonna be driving.

This is quite a good site for information about the stadium etc :

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/wigan_athletic/#How To Get There By Car & Where To Park

[quote user="exiled blue"]i hail from the north of manchester, and whenever i go back up, i find the fastest route to be a47, a17, a1 then m62. wigan isn`t more than 20 miles from where my mum lives and it`d be motorway so wouldn`t take too long from there.[/quote]

Agree with this, my sat nav always wants to take me the M6 way but I''ve found it to be considerably quicker going up the A1.

[quote user="Charlie Sierra"]

Agree with this, my sat nav always wants to take me the M6 way but I''ve found it to be considerably quicker going up the A1.

[/quote]

As with all these things, it is a matter of opinion/personal preference. I spent many years travelling between Norfolk and the North West and, after trying numerous routes, found this to be the best:- A47 through Peterbough, A1 North, turn off to go past Rutland Water and through Melton Mowbray, Kegworth, A50 to Stoke, M6 junction 16, then north up M6 to Wigan (J25).

The road networks into and out of East Anglia are an absolute joke. Whether its from the north west or south its disgusting how long it takes you to get anywhere. Somthing needs to change, Possibly a sustained period of premiership football for Norwich, Ipswich Peterborough etc could help?? The economic gain for turning the A47, A11, A14 to motorways surely must be cost effective in the long run? I''m pretty sure theres enough volume of traffic using the roads to justify this, Due to the spread from London there certainly must be the volume of people now living in the area.

Is there any plans to upgrade the road networks in E.A?? 

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Charlie Sierra"]

[/quote]

As with all these things, it is a matter of opinion/personal preference. I spent many years travelling between Norfolk and the North West and, after trying numerous routes, found this to be the best:- A47 through Peterbough, A1 North, turn off to go past Rutland Water and through Melton Mowbray, Kegworth, A50 to Stoke, M6 junction 16, then north up M6 to Wigan (J25).

[/quote]

What time of the day did you travel Webbo118? I used to do these type of runs but set off at silly O''clock in the morning. With hardly any traffic on the road I could cut huge chunks out of the route planner''s suggested times.

Your route according to the AA gives a distance of 230 miles and a journey time of 5 hrs 6 mins. Other routes;

1, A17, A1 - 223 miles 4 hrs 34 mins

2, A47, A1 - 247 miles 5 hours

3, A11, A14, M6 - 250 miles 4 hrs 49 mins

My preference would be route 3, more or less dual carriageway or motorway all the way with the added bonus of using the M6 toll. All it takes is one slow lorry on the single carriageway sections of the A17 or A14 and you can be held up for ages.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Charlie Sierra"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What time of the day did you travel Webbo118? I used to do these type of runs but set off at silly O''clock in the morning. With hardly any traffic on the road I could cut huge chunks out of the route planner''s suggested times.

Your route according to the AA gives a distance of 230 miles and a journey time of 5 hrs 6 mins. Other routes;

My preference would be route 3, more or less dual carriageway or motorway all the way with the added bonus of using the M6 toll. All it takes is one slow lorry on the single carriageway sections of the A17 or A14 and you can be held up for ages.

[/quote]

All times of day ranging from early morning through midday to late at night. I think I tried more or less every route possible from the southern option (A14, M6) which was my least favoured alternative, to the "northern" options (M62 and Woodhead), to the "mid-options" which included Derby/Nottingham ring road (to be avoided). The option I gave was for me the most reliable, quickest and, as a bonus, the most scenic.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Charlie Sierra"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

All times of day ranging from early morning through midday to late at night. I think I tried more or less every route possible from the southern option (A14, M6) which was my least favoured alternative, to the "northern" options (M62 and Woodhead), to the "mid-options" which included Derby/Nottingham ring road (to be avoided). The option I gave was for me the most reliable, quickest and, as a bonus, the most scenic.

[/quote]

Forgot to say the big plus is the A50 from Kegworth to Stoke. 45 miles on an excellent new road with very little traffic. Also brings you to the M6 way above the potential problems associated with the Birmingham area and need to use the Toll.

I agree about Nottingham/Derby, the A52 is a nightmare, you start to get held up miles from Nottingham itself. As for the "bonus" of picking a scenic route, I could not agree more, that''s why roads such as the A17 (fields and truck stops)  make me cringe (not that the A14 is much better but at least it is dual carriageway).

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

The road networks into and out of East Anglia are an absolute joke. Whether its from the north west or south its disgusting how long it takes you to get anywhere. Somthing needs to change, Possibly a sustained period of premiership football for Norwich, Ipswich Peterborough etc could help?? The economic gain for turning the A47, A11, A14 to motorways surely must be cost effective in the long run? I''m pretty sure theres enough volume of traffic using the roads to justify this, Due to the spread from London there certainly must be the volume of people now living in the area.

Is there any plans to upgrade the road networks in E.A?? 

[/quote]

The Govt did give the go ahead to dual that last stretch of the A11 (Barton Mills - Thetford) recently...should be completed by 2016.

A47,A17,A1,M62 route for me every time for me, travelled back and forth from the North West for games for 12 years and this is easily the best route in my opinion.Psst Don''t tell anyone but I have managed Blackpool to Gorleston in exactly 4 hours using them roads (in reverse obviously).

[quote user="Harry"]A47,A17,A1,M62 route for me every time for me, travelled back and forth from the North West for games for 12 years and this is easily the best route in my opinion.

Psst Don''t tell anyone but I have managed Blackpool to Gorleston in exactly 4 hours using them roads (in reverse obviously).

[/quote]

Thought you were on holiday for 2 weeks and having a rest from websites? [:)]

Popping on for a bit everyday.  [IMG]http://www.spirit-investigation.com/main/images/smiley/smiley010.gif[/IMG]

the route i gave earlier, a47,17, a1 m62 is probably the shortest as well. to where my mum lives it`s 205 miles, normally takes almost exactly 4 hours,and as for scenic routes, the highest motorway in england,the m62 over the pennines, (they`re big green hilly things for all you east anglians btw!!), is pretty spectacular.

Answer to this is simple. On the day, fire up your google maps app on your generic smartphone, and follow the route with the fewest red lines (congestion) on it!

[quote user="exiled blue"]the route i gave earlier, a47,17, a1 m62 is probably the shortest as well. to where my mum lives it`s 205 miles, normally takes almost exactly 4 hours,and as for scenic routes, the highest motorway in england,the m62 over the pennines, (they`re big green hilly things for all you east anglians btw!!), is pretty spectacular.[/quote]

You can also see the "Little House on the Prairie" still sitting in the middle of the Motorway.

Yep, definately A47, A17, A1 then M62 is the best way!

I do this route so often, I could do it blindfolded!

A47 is a breeze. A17 is a b@stard - watch out for Truvelos around RAF Cranwell in Lincs, and Gatsos near the Swineshead bridge railway crossing and just before the Macdonalds at just after Sutton Bridge. There are others too, try googling A17 speed cameras.

None after the A17 though, so the A1, then M62 will be simple.

[quote user="1eed5canary"]

Yep, definately A47, A17, A1 then M62 is the best way!

I do this route so often, I could do it blindfolded!

A47 is a breeze. A17 is a b@stard - watch out for Truvelos around RAF Cranwell in Lincs, and Gatsos near the Swineshead bridge railway crossing and just before the Macdonalds at just after Sutton Bridge. There are others too, try googling A17 speed cameras.

None after the A17 though, so the A1, then M62 will be simple.

[/quote]

Definitely not in my opinion but each to his own!

[quote user="Harry"]A47,A17,A1,M62 route for me every time for me, travelled back and forth from the North West for games for 12 years and this is easily the best route in my opinion.

Psst Don''t tell anyone but I have managed Blackpool to Gorleston in exactly 4 hours using them roads (in reverse obviously).

[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest, what other routes did you try?

"You can also see the "Little House on the Prairie" still sitting in the middle of the Motorway."

probably, behind `emmerdale` the most famous farmhouse in britain, and the source of many urban myths.

Hopefully when we get there the directions won''t turn into "And it''s a left at the roundabout with broken glass on, a right when you see the pub thats on fire, and you''ll have to watch out for wheely bins"..

[quote user="exiled blue"]"You can also see the "Little House on the Prairie" still sitting in the middle of the Motorway." probably, behind `emmerdale` the most famous farmhouse in britain, and the source of many urban myths.[/quote]

Between junctions 22 and 23 on Windy Hill with the motorway carraigeways going either side.