Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

FAO Congo Canary

Hi,

I''m doing my dissertation on the DRC and the legacy of colonialism.

I''m obviously researching this at the moment, and wondered if maybe you would help me out a bit?

Please email me at tomblazak@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers,

Tom

Hi KIO,

I actually work,(although not there at the moment) in Point Noire, Republic of Congo, slightly better than DRC i believe. I do however, have quite a few books about the British Empire and Africa in general, which your more than welcome to borrow, will be back in the UK in a month for all those burglars and looters reading!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses!

Congo: Thanks for the offer, I''ll definitely take you up on that if you don''t mind! What exactly is it you do in the Rep Congo?

Legend: That would be great - I''m actually directing my study towards the modern day situation and linking the current instability to the power vacuum left by the Belgians and their authoritarian rule.

What did you study by the way?

Cheers

If you haven''t read it already,try a book called In The Footsteps Of Mr Kurtz by Michaela Wrong.It''s all about the reign of Mobuto.Excellent read.

I''m a lifting equipment inspector on construction vessels.

Don''t spend as much time in Africa these days. But we will be sailing from the Gulf of Mexico where i am now, to Equatorial Guinea in the next few days, and then to Angola after that.

The State of Africa is a superb book about the division of Africa by European countries, As is White Gold, about the white slave trade in Africa. Your welcome to borrow both

I''ve got your pm, so will drop you a line when i get home

Republic of Congo was a French Colony as opposed to Belgian as in DRC/Zaire. Soyo is in Cabinda an Angolan enclave within Congo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_the_Congo will explain it better.

The State of Africa is a superb book about the division of Africa by European countries, As is White Gold, about the white slave trade in Africa. Your welcome to borrow both

I''ve got your pm, so will drop you a line when i get home

kick it off try this linkhttp://www.africabib.org/perio.phpit searches every single academic journal for anything remotely African

[quote user="kick it off"]Hi, I''m doing my dissertation on the DRC and the legacy of colonialism. I''m obviously researching this at the moment, and wondered if maybe you would help me out a bit? Please email me at tomblazak@hotmail.co.uk Cheers, Tom[/quote]

---

Not about the DRC specifically, but "Exterminate all the brutes" by Sven Lindqvist is an interesting read. His thesis is that the murderous mistreatment of the blacks by the white colonial powers in Africa in the 19th century paved the way in the western mind for the Holocaust and other horrors of the 20th century.

And in fiction there is Conrad''s "Heart of Darkness", which provides the title for Lindqvist''s book.

Guys, this is starting to get a little bit highbrow for this page, are you sure we can''t get around to linking it to Cody by any chance... ;@)

Thanks, this is brilliant guys.

I actually have the footsteps of Mr Kurtz waiting for me when I get home from the summer school Im working at. Along with Heart of D''kness which although fiction, is based on Conrad''s travels in the Congo so should be an interesting piece of background reading.

The state of Africa is a book I''ve been meaning to get around to for a while, and white gold sounds like an interesting read too.

Purple: Thanks for the tip on Sven Lindqvist, the theory sounds quite interesting and I can already see a way to link that in with the apathy of Western media to the plight of the DRC today and the complete lack of media coverage on the horrors of the conflict there.

By the way, if anyone has read Blood River by Tim Butcher, I have managed to get in touch with him and get an interview for my dissertation! That book inspired my topic so I''m ecstatic with that! If you haven''t read it then I can''t recommend it highly enough.