Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Too much Negativity about our Defence

Quite a lot of posters on here seem nervous about our defence this season. I think this is both unfair and unfounded.the defenders that we had last season were pretty good and a lot better than last time we came up. Add to those de Laet who seems very assured and fast. If we get Ayala as well we will have more pace and height in the squad.

I think we need to understand that we cannot have it both ways. we enjoy an attecking style which most of us would not want to change. We score lots of goals and our defenders are attacking as well.

Obviously i do not want us to be Kakikazi like Blackpool but neither would i want us to have tight defences such as Wolves and Birmingham last season but score very few goals,

The balance at the end of the day is to score more thanwe let in and hopefully we should do that

With good reason many of us are concerned.

Last season we conceded more goals than most teams in the top half of the table, and we were redeemed by our goal-scoring total. (There is an obvious connection - our fullbacks bombed forward, and often left fairly slow CBs exposed.)

This year we shall not score as many, as we up against better defences and goalkeepers. We have added some extra defensive capacity in de Laet and Naughton, but otherwise we have the same personnel, unless you count Johnson as a stopper.

This season we shall be facing much better attackers, and we must expect a few heavy defeats. I hope that de Laet and Naughton will not permit the few to become several or many, but.....

Some are still a little worried about our goalkeeping, and some are worried about the relatively slow Tierney, Russell R, Whitbread and Ward. We do not know how they will stand up against fast moving attacks and individuals who have both pace and skill.

My personal hope is that Culverhouse and others will dvelop strategies to maximise the skills of our defenders, and I think that they will perform collectively better than many of us fear. If so, I shall be highly delighted.

I know it was a long time ago but in 1992/93 we finished 3rd in the premiership with a goal difference of minus 4.

I actually think tierney and Martin are reasonably quick and Naughton who will fill in/challenge both even faster. True ward is slow and for me the weakest of our defenders but has his attributes. As said De Laet is fast and Ayala supposed to be quick as well.

We may have some bad days when we let a few in , i remember the season we finished 3rd we lost 7 - 1 at Blackburn.

With 3 points for a win its draws we need to avoid win 1 in 3 and we wont be far short of safety

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]My only real worry about our defence is Ruddy!!
[/quote]

Agreed, but neither am I totally convinced that he won''t come upto the level required. A bit of an enigma, our Ruddy, and he has hidden depths for sure.

If he does prove to be a weakness, I would hope that PL will react before it is too late.