Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Daniel Ayala

Press in Hull claiming they''ve lost out on a deal for Ayala to us and he should be unveiled here in the next 24 hours:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/story-13113148-detail/story.html?

Also being reported on the scums TWTD webshite.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=18961

I like him, think he would be a very very good addition given a few games to bed in. Makes you wonder if Whitbread or Ward are off though should this be true?

great signing if we do get him, will add much needed technical quality to the defence

A day or so after Hull announced their (accepted) bid Swansea came in for him and it looked like he would go to them instead. Bit of a coup if we get him.

Does anyone know what his attributes are? Pace, Strong, good one the ball or no nonsense type of defender?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Press in Hull claiming they''ve lost out on a deal for Ayala to us and he should be unveiled here in the next 24 hours:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/story-13113148-detail/story.html?[/quote]Was this the lad on loan at Derby last year?

Would be a great signing. Not sure if he has pace, but at 6 ft 3 he is certainly built for the premiership. Would maybe be used against the bigger teams without much pace (Stoke, Bolton etc) rather than either De Laet or Barnett who are only 6ft 1ish. Also young still, only 20 so fits the young hungry mould our saviour Lambert has used in building our current team.

All round really hope this happens, saw him a couple of times for Derby and Hull over the past couple of seasons and looks good. Bring him in!

Very tall player and looked very classy on the couple of occasions I''ve seen him play, so really hope he''s joining us.

Last seasom he played for our 0-2 home defeat to Hull, and also in our 3-2 home win over Derby (if anyone went, he collided with one of his team-mates after about 2 minutes, and the game had to be stopped for several minutes while they both got treatment).

From previous reports, it had sounded as though Swansea had this signing in the bag. So if he''s now joining us, maybe McNasty has been doing the business again a la Kyle Naughton, similarly pulled from under QPR''s noses.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Could the Hull press be getting us mixed up with the Swans? I thought he was off there?[/quote]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2024656/Norwich-want-Daniel-Ayala-Liverpool.html

Obviously not, seems that we all missed this?

[/quote]Let''s just wait a few hours.  It is the Mail.  If the story hasn''t been pulled by this evening, there may be something in it!

Personally, I think Lambert as seen that we only need to fork out 850k to get a young talented centre back and thought he''s got nothing to lose.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Who will be 5th choice centre back if this is true?[/quote]

Think it might mean Drury is 9th Choice defender and might not have a future here, as De Laet can be treated as a full back, and Naughton can cover both sides.

Leaves Barnett, Whitbread, Ward and Ayala in the middle, with De Laet, Martin, Naughton and Tierney competing for full back slots.

Just a ''keeper now Lambo and if i''m being greedy, a bid for Lansbury and a cheeky unknown foreign quantity with dribbling 20 on FM, just for the fun of it :P

A Derby fan has said that Ayala is alright, but he messes about with the ball in his own half too much and sometimes appears "clueless" but at other times is solid, certainly not good enough for the prem. Not going to take any notice of that though, an extra addition at CB is preferable and if he''s good enough for Lambert, he''s good enough for me.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]The rumour seems to be buliding up a bit of momentum but no firm indications yet. Sounds a good aquisition. If he comes expect Pacceco too eventually[/quote]

Why?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Who will be 5th choice centre back if this is true?[/quote] Think it might mean Drury is 9th Choice defender and might not have a future here, as De Laet can be treated as a full back, and Naughton can cover both sides. Leaves Barnett, Whitbread, Ward and Ayala in the middle, with De Laet, Martin, Naughton and Tierney competing for full back slots. Just a ''keeper now Lambo and if i''m being greedy, a bid for Lansbury and a cheeky unknown foreign quantity with dribbling 20 on FM, just for the fun of it :P[/quote]

Regardless of whether we sign a CB, I still think De Laet will be considered as a CB who can cover at full back if needed; he has stood out for me pre-season and I''m confident he will start against Wigan in the same position he has been playing in the friendlies. 

Either way, you realistically want 8 defenders in a squad with at least 2 of them being able to cover each slot. This might just squeeze Drury out.

Heard Nigel Pearson on Radio 5 at teatime saying that that were disappointed they had lost out on Ayala after they had agreed terms with Liverpool and the player and that he understaood that he was signing for us tomorrow.

Think Swansea/Ipswich had also offered the asking price

Ayala was at coloney training ground today, my cousin told me who referee''s Norwich Academy at coloney. So it looks like he is being signed

Based on one of the Hull message boards, Ayala seems to be have been highly rated. Sample comment as follows:

"I''d be interested to know what wage we offered him, but even then, I reckon he''d have gone to Norwich because of the Prem tag, f***ing disappointing, he''s the best defender I''ve seen at city since Micheal Turner..... "

Interesting because Michael Turner was Hull''s official Player of the Year for 2 seasons running.