Sign in to follow this  

Based on what I see off a live stream

Ruddy 8 Played very well and solid,no chance with the penalty

R.Martin 5 Run ragged by Mosses,defencive abilitys questionable,didn''t/couldn''t get forward with Mosses.Will face tougher tests aswell

Tierney 6 Not bad tried to get forward when he could

De Laet 7 If it wasn''t for thinking he was Maradona on the half way line and giving their goal away would of been higher.Superb double block at the end,will learn from mistake

Whitbread 7 Found wanting for pace at the back sometimes,but overall not bad

Surman 6 Never really threatened too much,was better in the firsy half but faded.

Crofts 7 Solid workhorse ,won his fair share of tackles and looked solid

Fox 7 Not his best game but kept the midfield shape at times

Hoolahan 6 Lucky to get that,if he hadn''t scored would of been lower.Didn''t find a yellow shirt very often,can''t give the ball away that much at this level.

Holt 5 Ran,chased but nothing really happened for the big man today.Missed two chances he really should of put away.

Morrison 8 MOTM Superb debut,ran,chased,always aware,great play for the goal,all done with a lump the size of a golf ball under his eye.

subs not really long enough to access ,although Bennett showed touches of sharpness,looking forward to seing more of him.

I would say Ruddy & Morison were our 2 best players. (7 each)Holt was below average but there is more to come from him yet.(5)Rest was a 6

Ruddy 8 Hopefully that''ll show his critics! Held on to some difficult crosses and made a few good saves, unlucky with the penalty.

R.Martin 5 To me, didn''t look fit. I fear once Naughton gets a game Martin will find it hard to get his place back. Looked every bit a championship player today - go on Black Pants - prove me wrong against Stoke, please.

Tierney 7 - One of the better of the back 4 today. Got forward well, and you can clearly see why Drury is not getting a game these days. His throw is a good threat to have. Interacted with Surman well, which was nice, seeing as the rest of the back 4 wanted to just lump it forward most of the time.

De Laet 7 - Would have been an 8, minus the goal. The guy is going to be a big player for us this year, but I think he needs Barnett alongside him.

Whitbread 6 - Made some good blocks, looked shakey at times, gave the ball away but got away with it.

Surman 5 - Gonna be harsh his, disappeared for most of the game, never looked as influential as he did against Parma. Disappointing, but defended well.

Crofts 7 - Decent shift, still has the first touch of a brick wall most of the time though.

Fox 7 - Again, decent shift, but often had nobody to pass it too.

Hoolahan 5- Looked like a little kid in a big daddy world. Tried everything, but don''t recall many of his passes going to a city player. Won the ball back a few times, but lost it a hell of a lot more. Struggled to find space, but took the goal well. We need to teach him to get inbetween the midfield and defence, he failed that today. Guilty of wasting too many good chances in good positions to either shoot or play people in, Surman the same.

Holt 5 - Looked a glimmer of his usual self for some reason. His first touch was woeful, and he was rarely running the channels like his usual self til late in the second half. Morrison outshone him today.

Morrison 8 - Agree that he would be my MOTM - Played well, tackled hard, did well to create the goal - possibly the only time a city player beat a defender!! Shame to get taken off, but probably needed a rest after that shift!

Pilkington looked very handy, and Bennett put in a few good crosses at the end. Will be interesting to see what we can throw at Stoke.

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]Ruddy 8 Hopefully that''ll show his critics! Held on to some difficult crosses and made a few good saves, unlucky with the penalty.

R.Martin 5 To me, didn''t look fit. I fear once Naughton gets a game Martin will find it hard to get his place back. Looked every bit a championship player today - go on Black Pants - prove me wrong against Stoke, please.

Tierney 7 - One of the better of the back 4 today. Got forward well, and you can clearly see why Drury is not getting a game these days. His throw is a good threat to have. Interacted with Surman well, which was nice, seeing as the rest of the back 4 wanted to just lump it forward most of the time.

De Laet 7 - Would have been an 8, minus the goal. The guy is going to be a big player for us this year, but I think he needs Barnett alongside him.

Whitbread 6 - Made some good blocks, looked shakey at times, gave the ball away but got away with it.

Surman 5 - Gonna be harsh his, disappeared for most of the game, never looked as influential as he did against Parma. Disappointing, but defended well.

Crofts 7 - Decent shift, still has the first touch of a brick wall most of the time though.

Hoolahan 5- Looked like a little kid in a big daddy world. Tried everything, but don''t recall many of his passes going to a city player. Won the ball back a few times, but lost it a hell of a lot more. Struggled to find space, but took the goal well. We need to teach him to get inbetween the midfield and defence, he failed that today. Guilty of wasting too many good chances in good positions to either shoot or play people in, Surman the same.

Holt 5 - Looked a glimmer of his usual self for some reason. His first touch was woeful, and he was rarely running the channels like his usual self til late in the second half. Morrison outshone him today.

Morrison 8 - Agree that he would be my MOTM - Played well, tackled hard, did well to create the goal - possibly the only time a city player beat a defender!! Shame to get taken off, but probably needed a rest after that shift!

Pilkington looked very handy, and Bennett put in a few good crosses at the end. Will be interesting to see what we can throw at Stoke.[/quote]Sorry, were you watching the same game as me? Hoolahan 5, and Pilkington looked handy?! Genuinely cannot believe you''ve given Wes the same mark as Surman, and did Pilkington even touch the ball?Thought Wes was all over the pitch today - one poor strike, but easily our most effective player I thought?

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="AJ Wizard"]Ruddy 8 Hopefully that''ll show his critics! Held on to some difficult crosses and made a few good saves, unlucky with the penalty.

Pilkington looked very handy, and Bennett put in a few good crosses at the end. Will be interesting to see what we can throw at Stoke.[/quote]Sorry, were you watching the same game as me? Hoolahan 5, and Pilkington looked handy?! Genuinely cannot believe you''ve given Wes the same mark as Surman, and did Pilkington even touch the ball?Thought Wes was all over the pitch today - one poor strike, but easily our most effective player I thought?[/quote]Agreed! I thought Wes did well, one or two sloppy passes but bar that was everywhere.As for those slating Holt, sure he started off very poorly not being able to control the ball for his life but he got better as the game went on, winning free kicks, tackling hard  and could of scored.The penalty was a rediculous decision.

Good game, viewed courtesy of some foreign webcast... A solid enough start, well done lads!

Ruddy - 8 Hopefully shut a few doubters up

Martin - 5 Surprised that he started after missing a few warm up games injured, didn''t look fit

Whitbread - 6 Had a few ''moments'' but generally stood up to the test

De Laet - 6 Decent signing, young and relatively inexperienced at Prem level but will be massive for us this season. Brilliant blocks late on.

Tierney - 6 Looked to get forward but no cartwheels today, boo!

Surman - 5 Good quality touch at times but just not involved enough..?

Fox - 6 I still believe he will have a huge season, looked quietly confident on the ball and positionally sound

Hoolahan - 6 Did okay and will get better, took his goal well when others missed wildly

Crofts - 6 Solid enough but not his normally dynamic self, possibly not quite fit after missing a few games in pre-season?

Morison - 8 Excellent work rate, did well for the goal; got stuck and generally put himslef about. Awesome war wound for hid debut efforts too!

Holt - 5 Tried hard as always but nothing came off, should have scored a header and seemed a little over-awed. Maybe that game has got the Premier League ''fear'' out of his system...

Not really enough time to properly assess Barnet, Bennett or Pilkington but they have enough quality to prove useful this season for sure.

It was interesting to see PL bring on 2 outright wingers and change tactics towards the end, I guess we should be used to that though. Going for win as expected.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="AJ Wizard"]Ruddy 8 Hopefully that''ll show his critics! Held on to some difficult crosses and made a few good saves, unlucky with the penalty. R.Martin 5 To me, didn''t look fit. I fear once Naughton gets a game Martin will find it hard to get his place back. Looked every bit a championship player today - go on Black Pants - prove me wrong against Stoke, please. Tierney 7 - One of the better of the back 4 today. Got forward well, and you can clearly see why Drury is not getting a game these days. His throw is a good threat to have. Interacted with Surman well, which was nice, seeing as the rest of the back 4 wanted to just lump it forward most of the time. De Laet 7 - Would have been an 8, minus the goal. The guy is going to be a big player for us this year, but I think he needs Barnett alongside him. Whitbread 6 - Made some good blocks, looked shakey at times, gave the ball away but got away with it. Surman 5 - Gonna be harsh his, disappeared for most of the game, never looked as influential as he did against Parma. Disappointing, but defended well. Crofts 7 - Decent shift, still has the first touch of a brick wall most of the time though. Fox 7 - Again, decent shift, but often had nobody to pass it too. Hoolahan 5- Looked like a little kid in a big daddy world. Tried everything, but don''t recall many of his passes going to a city player. Won the ball back a few times, but lost it a hell of a lot more. Struggled to find space, but took the goal well. We need to teach him to get inbetween the midfield and defence, he failed that today. Guilty of wasting too many good chances in good positions to either shoot or play people in, Surman the same. Holt 5 - Looked a glimmer of his usual self for some reason. His first touch was woeful, and he was rarely running the channels like his usual self til late in the second half. Morrison outshone him today. Morrison 8 - Agree that he would be my MOTM - Played well, tackled hard, did well to create the goal - possibly the only time a city player beat a defender!! Shame to get taken off, but probably needed a rest after that shift! Pilkington looked very handy, and Bennett put in a few good crosses at the end. Will be interesting to see what we can throw at Stoke.[/quote]

Sorry, were you watching the same game as me? Hoolahan 5, and Pilkington looked handy?! Genuinely cannot believe you''ve given Wes the same mark as Surman, and did Pilkington even touch the ball?

Thought Wes was all over the pitch today - one poor strike, but easily our most effective player I thought?
[/quote]

Agreed! I thought Wes did well, one or two sloppy passes but bar that was everywhere.

As for those slating Holt, sure he started off very poorly not being able to control the ball for his life but he got better as the game went on, winning free kicks, tackling hard  and could of scored.

The penalty was a rediculous decision.
[/quote]

what do you mean the penalty was a ridiculous decision. Of course it was soft but de laet was on the wrong side, pushing and pulling trying to get back and recover from the awful mistake. he had no arguments when it was given so he must have known what he was doing. 

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="AJ Wizard"]Ruddy 8 Hopefully that''ll show his critics! Held on to some difficult crosses and made a few good saves, unlucky with the penalty. R.Martin 5 To me, didn''t look fit. I fear once Naughton gets a game Martin will find it hard to get his place back. Looked every bit a championship player today - go on Black Pants - prove me wrong against Stoke, please. Tierney 7 - One of the better of the back 4 today. Got forward well, and you can clearly see why Drury is not getting a game these days. His throw is a good threat to have. Interacted with Surman well, which was nice, seeing as the rest of the back 4 wanted to just lump it forward most of the time. De Laet 7 - Would have been an 8, minus the goal. The guy is going to be a big player for us this year, but I think he needs Barnett alongside him. Whitbread 6 - Made some good blocks, looked shakey at times, gave the ball away but got away with it. Surman 5 - Gonna be harsh his, disappeared for most of the game, never looked as influential as he did against Parma. Disappointing, but defended well. Crofts 7 - Decent shift, still has the first touch of a brick wall most of the time though. Fox 7 - Again, decent shift, but often had nobody to pass it too. Hoolahan 5- Looked like a little kid in a big daddy world. Tried everything, but don''t recall many of his passes going to a city player. Won the ball back a few times, but lost it a hell of a lot more. Struggled to find space, but took the goal well. We need to teach him to get inbetween the midfield and defence, he failed that today. Guilty of wasting too many good chances in good positions to either shoot or play people in, Surman the same. Holt 5 - Looked a glimmer of his usual self for some reason. His first touch was woeful, and he was rarely running the channels like his usual self til late in the second half. Morrison outshone him today. Morrison 8 - Agree that he would be my MOTM - Played well, tackled hard, did well to create the goal - possibly the only time a city player beat a defender!! Shame to get taken off, but probably needed a rest after that shift! Pilkington looked very handy, and Bennett put in a few good crosses at the end. Will be interesting to see what we can throw at Stoke.[/quote]Sorry, were you watching the same game as me? Hoolahan 5, and Pilkington looked handy?! Genuinely cannot believe you''ve given Wes the same mark as Surman, and did Pilkington even touch the ball?Thought Wes was all over the pitch today - one poor strike, but easily our most effective player I thought?[/quote]Agreed! I thought Wes did well, one or two sloppy passes but bar that was everywhere.As for those slating Holt, sure he started off very poorly not being able to control the ball for his life but he got better as the game went on, winning free kicks, tackling hard  and could of scored.The penalty was a rediculous decision.[/quote]

what do you mean the penalty was a ridiculous decision. Of course it was soft but de laet was on the wrong side, pushing and pulling trying to get back and recover from the awful mistake. he had no arguments when it was given so he must have known what he was doing. 

[/quote]I''ve seen the incident several times, he falls before Da Laet had even touched him! No way was it a pen.

Loving those slating me, apart from the goal, Hoolahan had a very poor game. Not that it was overly his fault, he was constantly swamped by Wigan players. He did nothing of major interest.

As for my comment on Pilkington, I never suggested he had a better game than Hoolahan, or anything like that, just thought the few touches he had looked neat and tidy.

And the penalty, thank you Lewie, finally someone who can see it as I do. Again, I never suggested De Laet wasn''t at fault, it was always going to go badly after you do something silly like that.

Ruddy 6R Martin 5De Laet 6Whitbread 6Tierney 6 (MOM)Fox 6Crofts 5Surman 5Hoolahan 5Morison 6Holt 6  subs all did a job.  we can play much, MUCH better than this.  delighted with a point.

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]Loving those slating me, apart from the goal,

Hoolahan had a very poor game. Not that it was overly his fault, he was

constantly swamped by Wigan players. He did nothing of major interest.

As for my comment on Pilkington, I never suggested he had a better game

than Hoolahan, or anything like that, just thought the few touches he

had looked neat and tidy.

And the penalty, thank you Lewie, finally someone who can see it as I

do. Again, I never suggested De Laet wasn''t at fault, it was always

going to go badly after you do something silly like that.[/quote]

With all due respect, you are saying that Crofts and De Laet had a far better game

than Hoolahan, which is pretty outrageous. No one had a great game

today, and I thought the quality was pretty poor, but it''s fairly clear

that yet again our most positive play came through Wes.

Da Laet made amends for his earlier catastrophic error with those superb blocks, but did not think he was worth a 7. Still, we all see the game differently, surprising you think people are "slating" you (can''t see any abuse anywhere) - but everyone is entitled to their opinion do you not think?

My thoughts:

Ruddy 9 - Extremely Solid

Martin 6 - Was thoroughly outplayed by Moses and was lucky that the Wigan man''s end product wasn''t strong enough.

DaLaet 6 - Shaky in the first half and at fault for the goal. Much better in the second half and definately going to be first choice with Barnett.

Whitbread 6 - Uneven on the ball and looks shaky, but this was similar last season and he did well in the end.

Tierney 7 - Looked good all round and when Moses switched he held onto him well.

Fox 6 - Unlucky to get booked in the first minute and was good throughout if nothing spectacular.

Crofts 7 - When doubling up on defenders he was too easily beaten, but passing and tackling in the centre was good.

Hoolahan 8 - Very strong holding onto the ball and moving it around and well taken goal.

Surman 6 - Weak final product.

Morison 6 - Well done setting up goal but final product apart from this was poor. Did not link up with Holt as well as he could have done.

Holt 4 (first half) 7 (second). - Started really influencing the game in the second half but too often just loitering in the wrong place (out wide) leaving us short in the middle.

Lambert 6 - First team was strong but only 1/3 subs did any good.

Barnett 8 - Evidently a stronger partner than Whitbread. Good change.

Pilkington + Barnett 6 - Did nothing wrong but were brought on when we on top and we lost it from there. The team are evidently not used to playing with this system.

Ruddy - 7 - Excellent handling. Slight communication issues, but on the whole did his job very well today.Martin - 6 - Not his usual self, seemed to get caught out of position a lot, and didn''t get around the pitch as much as usual. Backed off Moses too much for my liking (reminded me of Gradel against Leeds at home last season), looks like he needs a couple of games to sharpen up.De Laet - 6 - Ridiculous mistake for their goal, but not convinced that the contact was initially inside the box. Couple of awesome blocks towards the end, and positionally very sound.Whitbread - 6 - Did what he had to do okay, again got caught in possession but got away with it. Solid in the air.Tierney - 7 - Solid, and got forward to provide some width to the team. Best performer in the back four IMO.Fox - 6 - Decent range of passing, and one superb FK that someone should have touched in, but on the whole fairly average today.Crofts - 6 - Terrible first touch, but put a shift in for the team as always. Unremarkable.Surman - 5 - Floated in and out of the game, but ultimately did not contribute much to at all. Should really have got the indirect free kick on target from 7 yards out.Hoolahan - 6 - In the right place at the right time for the goal, but still reacted quickest to finish emphatically. Not his best game, but still looked most likely to make something happen.Holt - 6 - Looked like a pub player in the first half, and mis-controlled repeatedly. Much improved in the second half, and looked like he will be very effective against the majority of Prem defenders if the ball is played into his chest. No matter what league his is in, there is no way that any defender will be able to shrug him out of possession without committing a foul.Morison - 7 - Brave, and good movement. Very impressive competitive debut and looks to offer something different to Holty despite being a "big man". Made the goal with a surprising burst of pace and we looked much less capable of holding the ball up once he had left the pitch.SUBSBarnett - 6 - Didn''t have a huge amount to do, but looked solid.Pilkington - 5 - Excited about this signing, but can''t really remember him doing anything with the ball in his cameo. We struggled more once he and Bennett had come on.Bennett - 6 - Looks extremely tidy - one great delivery and showed good intent to run past a few Wigan players before being brought down. Not sure how he will fit into our system this season.MOM - Morison for his all-round performance, closely followed by Ruddy for his excellent handling.

Yep, sure is a wonderous sport. I too thought Hooly had a great game today. I also agree that Piks hardly touched the ball when he came on (not his fault-just how the game panned out) Bennett caused big trouble when introduced.

Holty did start poorly but by the second half he was well on the way of being his old self. He won nearly all his heading duals, held the ball up well and laid off some intelligent passes. It seems to me there are many who allow the bulk of Holt to shadow their judgement. He is one hell of a player and deceptively quick and skilful. he should have a pretty good season.

Overall I came away from the game more confident of our future in this league and as always, all involved gave it their all. Enjoyable game to watch.

Eurgh, every time I think this board isn''t full of retards several people rate Hoolahan poorly. He was very good today, robbed Diame a couple of times and held it up against him, linked the play up well with Fox and scored. Aside from Morison he was our best player.

Of the people giving him poor ratings, how many were actually at the game?

Not really sure how Hoolahan is facing criticism here? He was the heart beat of our attack, alongside Morison (great turn of pace and works the channels really well), and made crucial inceptions working hard to win the ball back at all costs. Surman on the otherhand, had a shocker for his standards. Never really involved. Seemed to be playing as the leftside of CM which caused problems for Tierney, especially when attacking as there was little movement and limited overlapping.

A shake up required I think.

Ruddy 6 (keep place)

Martin 5 (replace with Naughton)

Whitbread 5 (replace with Barnett)

De Laet 6 (keep place)

Tierney 6 (keep place)

Fox 6 (keep place)

Hoolahan 6 (keep place)

Crofts 6 (keep place)

Surman 5 (replace with Johnson)

Holt 6 (keep place)

Morison 7 (keep place)

Went to the game but cannot believe some of these scores. Hoolahan was supurb 8 as was Crofts 8. Morison was a real impact 8 Ruddy was steady 7 Tierny fine 6 Martin bad day 4 de Laet 7 whitbread 7 surman 5 fox 5 Holt improved later in the game but still only 6

Can''t believe what i am reading on here!

Ruddy 6 - Did ok, nearly had a moment at the end when he decided to come out and take out barnett.

martin 5 - Got destroyed by moses all afternoon, will really struggle against any player with pace this season

Whitbread 7 - Solid, did little wrong, got caught on the half way line once but that was about it.

de leat 7 - Only that one error for the goal, will learn from that, terrific blocks and tackles throughout second half

Tierney 7 - Got forward well i thought, didn''t do much wrong

Fox 7 - Good deliveries all afternoon, did well

Crofts 8 - Outstanding all afternoon, ran his socks off, got tackles in, typical crofts display

Surman 5 - Struggled at times, gave the ball away too much, improvement needed

Hoolahan 8 - Brilliant all afternoon, drove the team on 2nd half, well taken goal, really positive start MOM

Morrison 7 - Excellent workrate, did well for the goal, will cause defenses a lot of trouble this year

Holt 5 - Dreadful IMO, his touch first half was embarrasing, never troubled Wigan apart from getting a few fouls against him, Improvement needed

I felt we lacked any penetration first half and we''re our own worst enemy at times. Kept the ball well at times. Second half bit better, Hoolahan drove the team and really stood out for me with terriffic workrate, how people are saying he was poor is unbelievable. Good point away from home