Sign in to follow this  
Captain Fantastic

Surman...

Is it just me who doesn''t understand why he seems to hold a regular starting place?

I''m not judging him just on yesterdays performance either (despite him being bloody awful)

Last season he never impressed me either yet many other fans seem to really like him.

To me he is lethargic, weak on the ball, and somewhat pedestrian at times, am I the only one who thinks this?

[quote user="Captain Fantastic"]Is it just me who doesn''t understand why he seems to hold a regular starting place? I''m not judging him just on yesterdays performance either (despite him being bloody awful) Last season he never impressed me either yet many other fans seem to really like him. To me he is lethargic, weak on the ball, and somewhat pedestrian at times, am I the only one who thinks this?[/quote]

Yes, It''s just you.

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="Captain Fantastic"]Is it just me who doesn''t understand why he seems to hold a regular starting place? I''m not judging him just on yesterdays performance either (despite him being bloody awful) Last season he never impressed me either yet many other fans seem to really like him. To me he is lethargic, weak on the ball, and somewhat pedestrian at times, am I the only one who thinks this?[/quote]

Yes, It''s just you.

[/quote]It most certainly is not just the OP.

You could quite possibly be one of the few!

I think Surmans a bit lightweight but he proved at the end of last season that when he had a clean run of games without injuries he is very good and effective with plenty of end product!

Who would you have instead of him?

If Surman, Hoolahan, Holt all played crap, and Crofts and Fox were only average, how on earth can people rate yesterdays performance? On the ratings thread i saw yesterday evening, only having 3 posts in it at that time, it was pretty much only Ruddy, De Laet and Morrison getting any praise. Yet everyone seems happy enough, with just a few niggles like this.

And who would you have instead or Surman?

Bennett, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Johnson, K.Smith, Lappin. Could all play in his position.

I''ll admit he did have a poor game yesterday but that doesnt make him a poor player. As the above poster said, you have to give them time to get used to this league. Im not going to be making many judgements based on yesterday, if you are going to, then does that mean Russel Martin is a poor player too??

I dont think any player can be judged too much on yesterdays performance. It was evident in the first half that the players were nervous as they naturally would be! You have to give them a chance to prove themselves. I think come Stoke the will all be feeling more confident and have a little more idea about what to expect.

He struggled with Wigans pace at times, but I think he will have some good games for us this seasons. Hes going to have to step up though as competition will be ruthless with Pilkington pushing him for a place!

Yeah he was one of our worse performers yesterday. He couldn''t deal with the pace and he didn''t help Tierney as often. I think Martinez saw this which is why he put him on the right.

I was thinking that Johnson would of been a good player to bring on as he gets in the opponents faces and doesn''t give them time.

That''s hindsight though, I would of started with Surman, so we can''t really complain.