Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Happy with that

Despite watching the game on a dodgy stream, I saw enough to be very happy with our return to the big time. Despite De Laets schoolboy error and a bit of indecision between Barnett and Ruddy we looked solid, worked our nuts off and were good value for at least a point.

I know we''ll have tougher tests but we didn''t look like a new team to the League and I was hugely impressed with how calmly we kept the ball to dictate the pace of the game. Great effort form the two lads up front, and while Wes, Surman and Fox will have better passing days they all put in a good shift in midfield. I was also delighted to see the Norfolk Cafu respond to the "we''ve got a shiny new toy" merchants who''ve seen Naughton play a bit of friendly football and decided that he''s better than our most consistent performer of the last two seasons. However, my man of the match was Marc Tierney, who got a foot in virtually every time danger threatened.

All in all, a cracking start, and bring on Stoke![:D]

Good start, plenty to be pleased about and lots be hopeful for.   we will improve too as the new players bed in.

Would agree with most of that, Beau, especially the ''watching on a dodgy stream'' part. I thought we got better and better. Looked a bit overawed in the first 20 minutes but got more comfortable as the first half wore on.

Am a little worried by lack of pace at the back. Moses terrorised us and there are lots of players better than him.

De Laet''s double block at the end made up for his howler at the start.

And they certainly worked their nuts off, but we knew they would, didn''t we. Good bunch of lads.

Thought Bennett looked promising when he came on. And was very impressed by Morison, who I thought was outstanding.

Watched on a dodgy stream and thought we played competantly and with confidence.

My mate went and said bit of an even first half but we looked a bit nervy up front but got into our stride, point away at Wigan well pleased.

Lets keep picking up those points and roll on Stoke!!!

We are looking good value hopefully QPRs confidence will now be rock bottom and ours will go for strength to strength!!

Agreed - wasn''t a perfect performance but lots to be pleased with.have to agree Tierney man of the match, slightly ahead of Morison.  i''ll admit to being very impressed with Naughton in the friendlies but was glad to see Martin start - he had a tough time with Moses but did well.  Good to see how much talent and how many more options we have within the squad this year which will surely helpwe''re gonna have to be clinical in front of goal because chances will be few and far between - Wigan showed their PL expierence with how many shots they managed.  i still have absolute faith in Holty and Morison looked really good.  and we''ve still got Vaughn to add to the mix when he''s fit again along with Martin and Jacksonall good stuff, bring on the Stoke for a Carrow Road welcome to paradise!

Yeah, I thought we needed to be more composed on the ball and Wigan really sliced through us a few times with Rodallega, Moses and Di Santo all outclassing us at various points. But we disrupted their passing game so often and won so many key tackles. De Laet put himself in a bad position and was a bit too desparate to correct it but overall defensively we looked commited. I still think we need a spark up front that hasn''t been added yet- unless Vaughan can come good. Morison had a good game but looks to be more of a provider than a scorer.

Good result, somthing to build on, we didn''t look out of place and we will go on and improve as players get used to this league. We played better than Wigan for large periods. Bring on stoke, hopefully that will be our 1st 3 points of the season.

I''m pleased with the fact that despite it was the first premier league appearance for most of our team and the nerves that they were obviously feeling we kept our heads, kept calm and saw the point out.

I think the key word was that we were ''calm'' and played some nice fuid patient stuff. I wonder if part of the reason for De Laet error was that Lambert told them to go out and relax (OK, but not go to sleep......). Surman was disappointing, Hools looked lively, Tierney covered every inch of the left hand side, including at one great cross. Great to see two wingers come on, one to replace a defender, with 20 mins to go. Looks like more of the same as last year! And absolutely didn''t panic after the goal. Just built again and were patient.

''Calm'', though: that sums it up and a very good start I think. Predicted a draw and said I''d be very happy with that....and I am!

Give it a game or two for us to settle in and you''ll see the best of us

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Despite watching the game on a dodgy stream, I saw enough to be very happy with our return to the big time. Despite De Laets schoolboy error and a bit of indecision between Barnett and Ruddy we looked solid, worked our nuts off and were good value for at least a point.

I know we''ll have tougher tests but we didn''t look like a new team to the League and I was hugely impressed with how calmly we kept the ball to dictate the pace of the game. Great effort form the two lads up front, and while Wes, Surman and Fox will have better passing days they all put in a good shift in midfield. I was also delighted to see the Norfolk Cafu respond to the "we''ve got a shiny new toy" merchants who''ve seen Naughton play a bit of friendly football and decided that he''s better than our most consistent performer of the last two seasons. However, my man of the match was Marc Tierney, who got a foot in virtually every time danger threatened.

All in all, a cracking start, and bring on Stoke![:D]

[/quote]

Not only was my stream dodgy (stopping at crucial moments) but the commentary was in Spanish from the Liverpool-Sunderland game, which made for an interesting experience.[:D]

Two points (having only seen the second half). Firstly, we were under the cosh at the end. Whatever it was brought us all those late goals - extra fitness or determination or a combination thereof - was easily matched by Wigan. And presumably will be through the season.

Secondly, stuck record time, I''m afraid. The point about Ruddy, why he isn''t a very good keeper, is not his fumbling mistakes. All keepers make those. But his poor judgment. His bad decision-making. In that incident near the end he should not have been out there right on the side edge of the area in the first place. He got stuck in no man''s land and only last-ditch defending by others saved him. It won''t every time.

[quote user="Mason 47"]Whilst not an outright positive, I think it''s probably[/quote]

...a good thing that De Laet made that mistake today. Hopefully he''ll learn from that and be better for it.

Fourth in the Prem at the moment... that''s into Europe!

OK, so I''m getting a bit carried away, but I was pleased to see that we took a point away from home in our first PL game. Wigan may not be the best team we will meet this year, but they''ve been good enough to stay up for 6 years while others have floundered.

Realistically we are probably going to finish in the bottom half of the table, and I can see things being close enough that the odd away point here and there could be the difference between mid-table and drop zone.

I am concerned that we didn''t see off fellow relegation candidates,

One thing we have to improve on, a problem when we created more chances than any other Championship team last year, is failure to convert chances into goals. We had two or three very good chances today, but the finishing was poor. This has to improve or we shall struggle.

Our only goal came from a bad goalkeeping error, and we can''t expect Premiership keepers to be as generous each week! Wigan were as wanting as we were, otherwise they could have buried us!

pleased with the point. the first game is over and all that played can now call themselves premiership players and should have less nerves in the next match. also ayala was there to watch the game so he will be signing soon.

Having watched the game on the comp (whilst listening to Radio Norfolk''s coverage)

it seemed quite clear it could have been won by either side, but i''d

suggest the general play was in our favour.

Funny thing is we looked like the home side, and really asserted

ourselves throughout the game. We dominated the centre of the park, and

had better and were better in possession, and we certainly sounded like

it (kudos to the fans on that one), whereas Wigan looked very sporadic

(much like their fans), in bursts and errors across the park. The former

was to their benefit on the counter, that they relied on and executed

clinically, well and often. They were frightening in the final third,

for they were usually attacking with pace when many of our players and

full backs were stationed in their half; whereas we were often (rather

than going for goal) trying to find our way through 11 Wigan players,

especially after Wigan had scored.

It was Wes'' goal that released that congestion in the Wigan half. Had he

not of scored, we''d of probably been trying to boot the ball through a

wall of Wigan players all afternoon to no avail.

Wigan''s penalty clearly shouldn''t of been, but credit to De Laet, for without him we would have unjustly lost, thanks to a couple of heroic blocks.

We looked very solid in summary, never more so than after the equaliser,

and once we find our rhythm we''ll become a more ''fuller'' side in both a

defensive and attacking sense (much like last season). And much like

the beginning of last season, when Holt kicks into form, that is when i

reckon we''ll raise it several gears.As for our man of the match, it''s rather counter-intuitive for one obvious reason, but for me it was De Laet. Seemed determined to repent for the unfortunate penalty, and was fast, strong, putting in good tackles, and nulled many of the attacks Wigan tried to put past him afterwards. Whether it was Diame, Moses or Di Santo, i think Tierney and Martin were given a hard time, and did well in defence just as often as they misjudged their positioning.

[quote user="Salopian"]I am concerned that we didn''t see off fellow relegation candidates,

One thing we have to improve on, a problem when we created more chances than any other Championship team last year, is failure to convert chances into goals. We had two or three very good chances today, but the finishing was poor. This has to improve or we shall struggle.

Our only goal came from a bad goalkeeping error, and we can''t expect Premiership keepers to be as generous each week! Wigan were as wanting as we were, otherwise they could have buried us![/quote]We always struggle against relegation candidates - raise our game for the bigger guys.  With glass half full if you are not happy with that you are a Troll!OTBC

[quote user="Salopian"]I am concerned that we didn''t see off fellow relegation candidates, One thing we have to improve on, a problem when we created more chances than any other Championship team last year, is failure to convert chances into goals. We had two or three very good chances today, but the finishing was poor. This has to improve or we shall struggle. Our only goal came from a bad goalkeeping error, and we can''t expect Premiership keepers to be as generous each week! Wigan were as wanting as we were, otherwise they could have buried us![/quote]

it''s the first game of the season ....chill out

A game away against one of our direct competitors was always going to be tense. If we had been thumped, like QPR just have been at home to a competitior we''d all be thinking we''re going to struggle badly all season. I think a point away to a direct rival on the opening day of the season in what is a big step up is a really good result.

I thought we looked very naive at times, but then that''s to be expected with an inexperienced squad. We need to take the positives and learn from the experience. I think we''ll be fine once we get going.

It will be  tough year but have to be happy with any points, especially away from home...I have no doubt that Lambert will keep us in the mix...off the mark with more to come OTBC!

When Morison came off we stopped defending from the front, which gave them a hell of a lot of uncontested ball towards the end. Holt and Morison had forced mistakes from the Wigan defense all game.

Moses was very direct and fast and gave RM all sorts of problems.

Ruddy did pretty much everything asked of him.

I never though we would lose the game, even at 1-0 down we seemed composed and in control.

Wigan are terrible. Only time will tell whether it was 1 point gained or 2 dropped.

Morison had a blinder, as much as I love Holt, Morison should not have been the one brought off.

Nice to see Leon back, really hope he will be considered first choice.

Agreed broadstairs - an away point is a good start and as I said earlier is a solid platform.

But nor can I disagree with Salopians comments, it was an even game overall and on chances so while we will improve and while I am confident we will, Wigan are one of the poorer teams so we should both be pleased with a solid start and look to us it as a barometer of how much more we have to improve in creating, finishing and defending.

Stating that obvious point does not mean that he is a binner etc etc etc