Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

Away day rating for Wigan

Facilities and viewing experience were really good, availability of parking and hospitality, including the ''Marquee'' for away supporters was as good as I''ve experienced anywhere. Shame Wigan supporters couldn''t add much to the atmosphere, and the slow get away after the game was a slight negative, but an enjoyable trip overall.

How did others rate it?

Agreed Hooleyfan. I couldn''t believe the Marquee. What a pleasant and affordable place to have a drink before the game. I wonder how the place looks after Liverpool or United have had a visit?

Where abouts were you parked Hooleyfan because we were parked down a side road just the other side of the road from The DW and we seemed to sail out. Admittedly we left it about half an hour while we bought some food and some beers but I was quite pleased with how quickly we got to the M62.Cracking view, liked the idea of The Marquee but didn''t make it in there, and overall a good day out. Also had some great conversations with 4 or 5 of their fans on the walk back to the car and every single one thought they had a team of lazy $hites, we looked good value to stay up and all wished us good luck for the upcoming season and a genuine welcome to the premier league. Impressed all round.

Thought it was good all round, no queues in the female loos for a change (this is important to women lol), leg room was good in the stand and we found when we got there that row D was actually the front row on this occasion, which made it even better for a short person like me! Great view of the whole of the pitch and the seats were quite steeply tiered which is always helpful. The big car park for away fans was easy to find, the parking attendants were friendly and it was only a stroll to the ground from there. Yes, it was slow getting out but lots of people seemed to be taking the opportunity to have picnics from the back of their cars before leaving, which looked like a very good idea!

Marquee was good. Facilites in the stand good, clean and presentable toilets. Good view from the stand.Thought that the pies weren''t amazing. Steak one was tasty but not much meat in it so had to have a second one. Opted for the cheese and onion pie for my second and it was naff, bland and pastry undercooked. Was more like a weak cheese sauce pie, not a very cheesy or oniony!My official Wigan pie rating: Steak 6.5/10  Cheese & Onion 4/10ps. Good thread idea this, maybe we should do one for each trip?

The directions by car from their own website was floored - took me longer to get through wigan than get to wigan!Great view of playing area - they have some carp fans - hardly filled any of their stands - ours of course was brimming!Massive queue for blokes toilets at HT. Beer OK, and fairly reasonable (£3.20)Didn''t have a pie - (waistline) - wanted to go to the marquee, but guy on door said it was heaving busy, so go for a beer in stands.Getting out of official car park was rubbish - why didn''t they open both the entrance and exit gates???

wigan remains a rugby town rather than football - but interesting that the attendance was still higher about 2k higher at the WD40 than at Loftus road for the long awaited 15 yr return to the prem

Didnt try the Marquee but I did go in the Red Squirrel which whilst it had mainly away fans also had a few good natured Wigan fans too

Good view even from halfway back, the only criticism for me was their PA system trying to drown out the Norwich fans!  Getting round to the coachpark was also slow going but then traffic anywhere can be a problem

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]Facilities and viewing experience were really good, availability of parking and hospitality, including the ''Marquee'' for away supporters was as good as I''ve experienced anywhere. Shame Wigan supporters couldn''t add much to the atmosphere, and the slow get away after the game was a slight negative, but an enjoyable trip overall. How did others rate it?[/quote]

Overall, thought it was good. Stewards were friendly. Great view, decent facilities. Went by train and was quite handy for the station. Fans are a let down, and the Drum makes it all the worse. Drums and Brass Sections are a personal dislike of mine, simply clapping along is no substitue for the natural ebb and flow of a football crowd. Still cant shake the fact that the WD40 is all part of an artificial football scene in a naturally Rugby League town, and without Wheelans money it simply woudn''t be there.

Not a bad place to visit (apart from the distance!). The stadium is ok but no more than that, but was very p:ssed off with the beer (or lack of it) at the kiosk I used at half time. By the time I managed to get served all that was coming out of the taps was warm froth that they still happily charged full price for! Friendly bunch of locals in the Queens Head pub on the road out of the town who I was chatting too for an hour or so after the game.

Great value, very friendly and nice pies!

Only grip, the official car park had no pedestrian exit so you had to climb through the ''gate'' or walk over the ''garden''

Sadly I think we have had the best value away day of the season already!!