Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Perhaps it was just me??

Wigan away was the perfect start for me when the fixtures came out. Stay with Norwich supporting family near York and then an easy motorway run across to join with the massed army from The East.

Finally after crawling through traffic for ages we arrived at the enemy fortress to find that (as anticipated) it had been turned into a bright yellow sea of shirts outside and in the area surrounding the ground (retail complex for example). From Club Cabbage, to Reids of Caister to Dereham Coachways to a multitude of mini buses and hundreds of cars, the Y''Army was out in force.

Surely Rider thought the fans would dominate the vocals and turn it into Carrow Road. Seems that many posters think that is excatly what happened with descriptions of ....''deafening support''. Sorry - but I for one was distinctly underwhelmed by ''the atmosphere''. It seemed like a re-run of Hull away to me with fragmented, half hearted songs going on and only, rarely, did the army rise as one and really bellow out.

Yesterday seemed a family day out for many with the following containing what seemed like a high preponderance of father,mother + the obligatory two children or elderly men and women out for a stroll. We welcome them all to our ''family club'' of course but these people aren''t exactly going to be at the forefront of vocal support are they??

Wigan was light years away from the type of following we took to Elland Road and the really impressive vocal support that day.

Finally (and I know this will be viewed as sacrilege) but can we please reserve OTBC for occasions when the crowd REALLY get going and get it booming out. Our distinct lack of originality in our songs leads to OTBC being (to all intents and purposes) ''our only song'' . So when the ''South Folk'' direct that accusation against us I would say they''re spot on!

Before KO we were pretty deafening and if I was a Wigan supporter I would have been in are of Norwich wishing the same supporters of the club I suppoerted turned out in those numbers and spirit!

However it wasnt only the palyers that were nervous the fans were too! And I dont think its fair to comment on families bringing along their children. Just because people may not sing at the top of their voice does not make them any less of a supporter. Some fans focus more on shouting at the top of their lungs rather than watching the game.

Yes I agree we need vocal support but I think we gave enough yesterday to give plenty of support. We wered bellowing the whole game but we certainly werent silent either.

I am not a young one and I sang and clapped whenever there was singing and clapping. I expect the young men to start it off, then I''ll join in :-)

Yes, I think it was just you. 4,500 fans made the long slog to Wigan and sounded plenty loud enough on the radio/Football First yesterday.Maybe all the noise was diluted by the oceans of empty seats in the home stands...

Must admit I was about 6 rows from the front and in line with the corner flag over to the left so I was pretty close to the more vocal Wigan element.

Same position (almost exactly) that I had v Hull and yesterday I felt the same about our atmosphere. Maybe if I had been far more in the middle of our fans and behind the goal then I may have sensed it differently. Not sure.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]What original songs have you got brewing then Yellow Rider?[/quote]

Well, in terms of ''creativity'' YR is viewed by some as a pretty dull fella but I''ve this one in my head since last winter.

It''s very easy, more than just a repetitive chant and the whole ''army'' could join in. Sung to the tune of ''O come all ye faithul''

''O COME YELLOW ARMY, JOYFUL AND TRIUMPHANT,

O COME YE, O COME YE TO CARROW ROAD,

COME AND BEHOLD HIM, BORN THE KING OF NORWICH,

O COME LET US ADORE HIM, O COME LET US ADORE HIM, O COME LET US ADORE HIM,

WES HOOLAHAN!!

Any players name could be used at the end, I think this could be a great new song and something really different. Shades of the Baggies ''Lords My Shepherd'' and that is well impressive when they get it going!

Mind you trying to get this going next Sunday in Block K of The Jarrold could be a struggle. Row W Seat 120 though about 1.20 pm if anyone wants to help! Problem is that stupid, blaring music drowns out any attempts at pre match atmosphere at FCR.

No it wasn''t just you.  We filled an end but the level of vocal support was awful. We may have taken 4,500 fans, but a high percentage were women/children/OAP''s and they just sat on their hands throughout the 90 minutes.

i sat in the furthest block to the right of our end looking towards the pitch, in line with the entrance steps (whatever they are called) about 3 seats from the wall. i agree that maybe my position effected my experience of the atmosphere as all the singing seemed to be more central/left. it didn''t help with the 5 rows below me being completely empty. and yes i agree we need some new chants, but its incredibly hard to get them going if your not the type to stand up and bellow out with the high chance no one will join in. Usually i can''t stand ''Just Can''t Get Enough'' as not many know the lyrics and the majority clap, also every other team in England use it. But yesterday that was pretty intense. OTBC was quite repetitive yesterday also but occasionally was very impressive when were putting heavy pressure on Wigan. Atmosphere wasn''t the best but nerves were probably a factor.

i would like to hear more player chants, Elliott Bennetts is class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH1CMrCCkD8

Elliot Bennett had his own chant at BrightonTo the tune of "Heartbeat" - yes that''s "Heartbeat" !!Elliot, Elliot Bennet Run down the wing for mede de de da da, de de de dar daI think there''s a youtube of it - it looks a bit pants written down, but when sung it sounds pretty good - esp. the "de de de da da" bits !!

[quote user="NWC"]Elliot Bennett had his own chant at BrightonTo the tune of "Heartbeat" - yes that''s "Heartbeat" !!Elliot, Elliot Bennet Run down the wing for mede de de da da, de de de dar daI think there''s a youtube of it - it looks a bit pants written down, but when sung it sounds pretty good - esp. the "de de de da da" bits !![/quote]Sorry - what a muppett I am - didn''t see you put the youtube link - derrrr!!!Yes thats the one!!!

dylanisabaddog, please stop generalising about women, if you don''t mind. In our row the only ones who sat down were a young dad and his very small boy, and if the child had been a bit older he''d have stood up too. I am 53 and stood the whole 90 minutes and sang whenever there was singing. This myth about people who are over 50 and/or female being silent and sitting down is a load of rubbish. I see lots of women my age (and older) who are incredibly enthusiastic, wearing the shirt, singing the songs, getting involved.

Nice dog, BTW, I have one just like him.

With a big away following spread accross a stand like yesterday it can be hard to get a decent atmosphere going as people one end of the stand can''t hear what the other end are singing, where in a narrower section (like the snakepit) any song/chant started can be heard and joined in with easily.

[quote user="Canarino"]dylanisabaddog, please stop generalising about women, if you don''t mind. In our row the only ones who sat down were a young dad and his very small boy, and if the child had been a bit older he''d have stood up too. I am 53 and stood the whole 90 minutes and sang whenever there was singing. This myth about people who are over 50 and/or female being silent and sitting down is a load of rubbish. I see lots of women my age (and older) who are incredibly enthusiastic, wearing the shirt, singing the songs, getting involved.

Nice dog, BTW, I have one just like him.[/quote]Canarino - did I stand (sit, never!)  next to you yesterday? We had a chat about water near my seat and I said that I hadn''t wet myself!

NWC, the young man next to me didn''t say anything about wetting himself so I don''t think I was sitting next to you! :-)

Thought the opposite. One of the loudest I can remember. I was centreish and a bit to the left though so maybe there were quieter areas.. Course there were times when it wasn''t as loud but generally thought support was v v good.