Sign in to follow this  
Farkes The Herald Angels

Wigan Board

The Wigan boards thought their own team were crap and would have been beaten by any team in the league that were not more crap than them: Swansea and us. Many of them thought we were totally useless....one poster said we were the worst there for some time.

As always all of this is taken with a pinch of biased salt, but it all seem a bit extreme. I expected to see at least ONE ''I thought Norwich did OK comment'', but afraid not.

I mean, we weren''t world beaters, but we did play some neat and tidy stuff.

Moral of the story: Wigan have got too big for their boots and should go back to non-league from whence they came not too long ago...

My mate''s a Wigan fan who went to the game today, he said he thought we were good going forward but looked shocking at the back. Also he thought Hoolahan was very impressive.

Are you sure about Merson Wiz? Because another thread said that he thought similarly to the Wigan fans and that ''we won''t keep a clean sheet all season''.

Personally I couldn''t care less what Merson, the Wigan fans, or anyone else thinks. This was the 1st game at this level for our manager and the vast majority of our players, nerves were bound to be a factor and we''ll only get better from here on.

remember we''ve lost the last 2 opening fixtures, both of which were at home. both seasons didn''t seem to turn out too badly after that did they!

the other way to look at it is they thought they were poor yet they failed to beat an unimpressive us at their place.

They did finish 17th last season so you can see why they are not impressed with either teams chances of success...

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I wonder what our Board thought?

Phew darling, that was a bit close?

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

Who do you think Stephen was speaking to Bly?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]the other way to look at it is they thought they were poor yet they failed to beat an unimpressive us at their place. They did finish 17th last season so you can see why they are not impressed with either teams chances of success...[/quote]

Yes, that was one theory I mulled over....they thought they were pants and so by default in their eyes we were dirty pants...

I always think The Telegraph gives a balanced view and this is what they said

"It is surely too early to label this match as a relegation six-pointer, but during this error-strewn but utterly enthralling Punch and Judy show, there was plenty of evidence to point to a long and difficult season for both of these teams.

But by the same token, both Wigan Athletic and Norwich City demonstrated that they have the tools to help them thrive in this division. Tactically, they look sound and well-organised. Players like Victor Moses and Wes Hoolahan could have sparkling seasons. If they can cut out the errors, the future may yet be rosy".

That seems a fair summary. A couple of the defensive lapses (De Laet and shorlty afterwards Whitbread) caught the eye and probably framed some cynics'' view of our overall performance. The fact is, we are a side who attack away from home (bringing two wingers on with 20 minutes to go away from home, one to replace a defender, on the first day of the Premier Leagues season is entertainingly adventurous), so occasionally we''re going to be over-exposed at the back and look very frail (although the main defensive lapses could not be put down to Wigan''s attack taking advantage of that, at least in the first half).

So, a reasonably good start, but would like to have seen more from Surman, Fox and Holt...and maybe Crofts. Our midfield has to have the ability to tighten up on defensive and holding duties, not just spread the ball around in a way that catches the eye when moving forward (which I thought they did well). De Laet''s was a horrible error, but he won''t be doing that again. I think with Naughton and Ayala competing for places at the back we''ll tighten up defensively if for no other reason than that the currrent defenders will know they have serious compeition (and that Lambert will be having no more of those brain lapses).

I thought we were calm and well-structured for most of the game.

And, it''s just great to be back in the top division....I spent much of the game just enjoying that fact. and at the end a point away was pleasing, even if there is clearly some work to be done.

And here''s an equally balanced snippet of the review from The Guardian

"Norwich''s yellow-shirted fans are as visible as Blackpool''s tangerine-clad support and both were promoted on a diet of progressive football. Enthusiastic in attack and dodgy in defence, the similarities abound. Norwich were indefatigable and, courtesy of Wes Hoolahan''s thumped finish, earned a point".

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe Tilly?

Come and sit yourself down here dear.....

OTBC

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe Tilly?

Come and sit yourself down here dear.....

OTBC

We were nervous and tentative in the first 15 minutes but improved after the goal and in the second half it could have gone either way. Regardless of what we do though Wigan will probably be in the bottom 3 at the end of the season

It is a sad fact that no matter what you do to prepare yourself- drill, practice or, in this case, pre-season- the real thing is something different. Its faster, it hurts more and the enemy you face actually want to beat you. They will do whatever it takes to win, as will you.

Like the first game in the Championship against Watford, many of our players had never practiced their profession in that division, so didn''t truly know what was required. The game was played and we lost 3-2. A lot of positives were taken from the game, the negatives were worked on and they only got better from then on. The main thing was they had their ''baptism of fire'' in the Championship and learned lessons that were applicable to all other opponents in the division. From then on, as individuals and as a group, they knew what was required.

Fast forward a year, and we face Wigan in our (and many of the players) first game in the Premier. Again, alot of positives and a few negatives. Wigan, despite being labelled relegation fodder, are no muppets and they have alot to fight for. So the test was good... perfect, in fact, for our first game.

The important thing for the players is that they have had their ''baptism of fire'' in the Premiership. Many simple lessons, such a concentration and time on the ball are universal to this division- though Wigan play a different style to many over teams, such as Stoke who are far more physical and direct, the lessons learned from yesterday are applicable to all teams. The players now know what is required of them in the Premier. In other words, they know the enemy. That, combined with the fact that Lambert and co. will gradually weed out the negatives from their performance, means I think we will not only improve a great deal over the next few months or so, but we shall also see a marked improvement against Stoke on Sunday. We may lose or draw against Stoke, but I wouldn''t be surprised if we get our first 3 points having already eliminated some of our weaknesses from the previous game. This opinion may just derive from the fact that I am a canary and I want my team to win, but nevertheless...

Another long post sorry. Just my opinion on our first game... in other words, alot of positives, nothing to worry about!

OTBC!!!

[quote user="NCFC_Thain"]My mate''s a Wigan fan who went to the game today, he said he thought we were good going forward but looked shocking at the back. Also he thought Hoolahan was very impressive.[/quote]

Can''t complain about that. Definitely how I saw it. Hopefully Ayala and playing with more tempo at the back will sort it out though.

Very rerlevent post Militant!

I spent part of yesterdays games thinking, that if Wigan are one of the Prems weaker sides then weve got a hard job on, which we knew anyway!

Then I remember Watford p*ssing all over us in the 1st home game last season and how we improved from that!

I think we can and probably will improve and that the players know they have to be at the top of their game all the time if we are to avoid the bottom 3!

We''ll be better than 2004/05!

After viewing the match I thought that a draw was a fair result and that any point away from home in the Premiership is a good one. Militant made some great points in that we can now learn from our mistakes and we now know what we will be up against. However, I keep getting this niggling feeling that whilst we all may of thought Wigan was a perfect first fixture, it may have worked against us. QPR got beaten by Bolton in their opening fixture and Swansea are likely to lose tonight, so we may well be the first team to get a point on the board, but I don''t expect Bolton and certainly not Man City to be in a relegation scrap. What I''m saying is, it''s a shame that QPR and possibly Swansea will learn what they need to work on from being beaten by teams who are tough competition and are not likely to be near them come the end of the season, whilst we have to learn from a team who are likely to be releagtion rivals. I can''t help but think if we would have played Wigan a few weeks down the line, we could have taken 3 points off them, which could be vital come the end of the season. On the other hand, as I said in my opening sentence, an away point shouldn''t be sniffed at, and QPR''s defeat and a likley loss for Swansea tonight could knock their confidence, affecting their performances against teams they would expect to beat if they want to survive.

[quote user="Kevin Keelan"]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]the other way to look at it is they thought they were poor yet they failed to beat an unimpressive us at their place. They did finish 17th last season so you can see why they are not impressed with either teams chances of success...[/quote]

Yes, that was one theory I mulled over....they thought they were pants and so by default in their eyes we were dirty pants...

I always think The Telegraph gives a balanced view and this is what they said

"It is surely too early to label this match as a relegation six-pointer, but during this error-strewn but utterly enthralling Punch and Judy show, there was plenty of evidence to point to a long and difficult season for both of these teams.

But by the same token, both Wigan Athletic and Norwich City demonstrated that they have the tools to help them thrive in this division. Tactically, they look sound and well-organised. Players like Victor Moses and Wes Hoolahan could have sparkling seasons. If they can cut out the errors, the future may yet be rosy".

That seems a fair summary. A couple of the defensive lapses (De Laet and shorlty afterwards Whitbread) caught the eye and probably framed some cynics'' view of our overall performance. The fact is, we are a side who attack away from home (bringing two wingers on with 20 minutes to go away from home, one to replace a defender, on the first day of the Premier Leagues season is entertainingly adventurous), so occasionally we''re going to be over-exposed at the back and look very frail (although the main defensive lapses could not be put down to Wigan''s attack taking advantage of that, at least in the first half).

So, a reasonably good start, but would like to have seen more from Surman, Fox and Holt...and maybe Crofts. Our midfield has to have the ability to tighten up on defensive and holding duties, not just spread the ball around in a way that catches the eye when moving forward (which I thought they did well). De Laet''s was a horrible error, but he won''t be doing that again. I think with Naughton and Ayala competing for places at the back we''ll tighten up defensively if for no other reason than that the currrent defenders will know they have serious compeition (and that Lambert will be having no more of those brain lapses).

I thought we were calm and well-structured for most of the game.

And, it''s just great to be back in the top division....I spent much of the game just enjoying that fact. and at the end a point away was pleasing, even if there is clearly some work to be done.

[/quote]We didn''t swap a winger for a defender? Barnett came on for WhitbreadPilkington and Bennett came on for Morison and Surman.Apart from that, good post.

Ignore the morons. We took the game to them for long periods of the game, and were good value for a point - if not all 3 points. I don''t think the likes of Man U, Arsenal etc would have had too much more possession, although they would probably defend better and be a bit more incisive in attack.