Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Stoke...

[quote user="G"]There is no point whatsoever trying to match Stoke at what they do. We need loads and loads of pace on the wings and to make them chace the ball on the floor.[/quote]Exactly!

[quote user="a1canary"]LegIwan - How many goals do they score from their long throws? Er, i think you''ll find quite a lot. Especially in their early seasons in the Prem when it seemed almost every other throw they had that went in the box lead to a goal. Teams look for it now but they still cause chaos in the box. You essentially have to imagine that for every team, if you put the ball over your goal line, the oppo get a corner. But for Stoke, they get a corner if you put the ball over their goal line OR, effectively, anywhere over the touchline in the final third. Which inevitably increases the number of chances to score that they get from balls in to the box.
[/quote]

So, I take it you don''t actually have a figure/stat to offer then? Also luckily for us this isn''t one of their earlier seasons, so won''t be coming as a surprise, as it shouldn''t for the last couple of years for Prem teams. I''ve had a little dig around and apprently 4 goals were assisted from Delap throw-ins last season. Whilst not an unreasonable return - just less than ten percent of their total - I don''t believe it is as nervewrecking as so many seem to insist upon - certainly isn''t quite a lot. What concerns me more is their return on set pieces altogether, which produced over half their goals in 2010/11. Obviously the long throws can lead to corners, giving them another chance. However, like I said before, the real benefit from yesterday''s match is the likelihood of Etherington missing our game on Sunday. Between him and Pennant, they assisted in 8 and 7 goals, respectively. Having one of their wingers is out is going to benefit us a lot more than Delap.

I think we''ll both agree that the defenders will need be ready for a lot of head tennis and Ruddy is going to have to be at his best. OTBC.

Stoke is going to be a tough tough game. If you get a chance you have to take it, as you won''t get many. They play very tight, I suspect that we would need somebody like Bennett on right from the start, I''d stick with the two tough men up front. I wouldn''t be surprised to see Lambert play with wingers against Stoke, best chance we have got is to get wide and pump balls into the box, hoping that Holt and Morison can connect with one of them. Absolutely no chance of playing through the middle against Stoke, in fact I think that if there is one game where Hoolahan will be rendered ineffective it will be this one. Hope I''m wrong though, Hoolahan is in my dream team. Although so is Shawcross!

[quote user="LeJuge"]Stoke is going to be a tough tough game. If you get a chance you have to take it, as you won''t get many. They play very tight, I suspect that we would need somebody like Bennett on right from the start, I''d stick with the two tough men up front.

I wouldn''t be surprised to see Lambert play with wingers against Stoke, best chance we have got is to get wide and pump balls into the box, hoping that Holt and Morison can connect with one of them. Absolutely no chance of playing through the middle against Stoke, in fact I think that if there is one game where Hoolahan will be rendered ineffective it will be this one. Hope I''m wrong though, Hoolahan is in my dream team. Although so is Shawcross!
[/quote]

I can''t see your logic in this...

Stoke have 3 massive defenders in Woodgate, Shawcross and Huth, how are we going to get any joy from throwing high balls into the Stoke box? The best way is to have quick, short interchanges of passes just outside the box or look to hit Stoke on the break using superior pace. For this guys like Hoolahan and Jackson are best suited.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="LeJuge"]Stoke is going to be a tough tough game. If you get a chance you have to take it, as you won''t get many. They play very tight, I suspect that we would need somebody like Bennett on right from the start, I''d stick with the two tough men up front. I wouldn''t be surprised to see Lambert play with wingers against Stoke, best chance we have got is to get wide and pump balls into the box, hoping that Holt and Morison can connect with one of them. Absolutely no chance of playing through the middle against Stoke, in fact I think that if there is one game where Hoolahan will be rendered ineffective it will be this one. Hope I''m wrong though, Hoolahan is in my dream team. Although so is Shawcross! [/quote]

Stoke have 3 massive defenders in Woodgate, Shawcross and Huth, how are we going to get any joy from throwing high balls into the Stoke box? The best way is to have quick, short interchanges of passes just outside the box or look to hit Stoke on the break using superior pace. For this guys like Hoolahan and Jackson are best suited.

[/quote]Hoolahan and Jackson would get snapped in half against Stoke. Like I said, I hope I''m wrong. A goal each for Hoolahan, Holt, and Shawcross, would be just perfect for my Dream Team :PSeriously though, Stoke just kept a clean sheet against Chelsea, they conceeded 48 goals all season last year. Chelsea like to get the ball down and play, I don''t think we can do a better job than them. There is no easy way to play against Stoke, we are probably both wrong. Maybe counter attacking football would be the better option, who knows, but Stoke play very deep. You usually counter attack against offensive teams who play with high lines (like us, in fact). You will struggle to counter attack against a team who keep 10 players behind the ball for the whole match. I don''t think that Hoolahan is particularly quick though, quick with his feet yes, but I''d have thought that Bennett was the more applicable choice there. I think it''s going to be an extremely tough game whichever way we look at it. Normally if Stoke score first they take the three points. The worst thing that we can do is conceede the first goal again, I wouldn''t be surprised to see us draw 0-0. To be honest, I stick by playing Holt and Morison up front again. You may be right about Hoolahan, but I would like to see Bradley Johnson in for Surman and possibly Bennett in there somewhere.

This is a game you that you have a huge chance of winning if you get it right tactically. If we have quick players up top they are going to have to play deeper and let us play our game in midfield. Not that this will be to much of a problem for them because they can just knock it up to the big boys but so long as we can somehow control the big boys up top we have a great chance if we keep it on the ground after winning it in defence. We may have to result to long balls but i can''t see this being a problem if they are the right sort of long through balls.

Its going to be very interesting to see how Lambert goes at it but I can see him changing very little about the way we play because thats how he is.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="LeJuge"]Stoke is going to be a tough tough game. If you get a chance you have to take it, as you won''t get many. They play very tight, I suspect that we would need somebody like Bennett on right from the start, I''d stick with the two tough men up front.

I wouldn''t be surprised to see Lambert play with wingers against Stoke, best chance we have got is to get wide and pump balls into the box, hoping that Holt and Morison can connect with one of them. Absolutely no chance of playing through the middle against Stoke, in fact I think that if there is one game where Hoolahan will be rendered ineffective it will be this one. Hope I''m wrong though, Hoolahan is in my dream team. Although so is Shawcross!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hoolahan and Jackson would get snapped in half against Stoke. Like I said, I hope I''m wrong. A goal each for Hoolahan, Holt, and Shawcross, would be just perfect for my Dream Team :P

Seriously though, Stoke just kept a clean sheet against Chelsea, they conceeded 48 goals all season last year. Chelsea like to get the ball down and play, I don''t think we can do a better job than them.

There is no easy way to play against Stoke, we are probably both wrong. Maybe counter attacking football would be the better option, who knows, but Stoke play very deep. You usually counter attack against offensive teams who play with high lines (like us, in fact). You will struggle to counter attack against a team who keep 10 players behind the ball for the whole match.

I don''t think that Hoolahan is particularly quick though, quick with his feet yes, but I''d have thought that Bennett was the more applicable choice there. I think it''s going to be an extremely tough game whichever way we look at it. Normally if Stoke score first they take the three points.

The worst thing that we can do is conceede the first goal again, I wouldn''t be surprised to see us draw 0-0. To be honest, I stick by playing Holt and Morison up front again. You may be right about Hoolahan, but I would like to see Bradley Johnson in for Surman and possibly Bennett in there somewhere.
[/quote]

There is no reason to be so scared of Stoke, they only managed 3 wins away from home last season and scored a paltry 46 goals. Stoke aren''t going to stick 10 men behind the ball against us like they did Chelsea (who looked very disjointed yesterday and lack pace across the pitch). Playing a high line and breaking when we can should see us well, the key to beating Stoke is to go at them, to many teams try to stick in their big guys and go toe-to-toe.

I agree that the first goal is very important, but it will be in every game this year. Changing our game too much will lead to a disjointed performance from us also.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="LeJuge"]Stoke is going to be a tough tough game. If you get a chance you have to take it, as you won''t get many. They play very tight, I suspect that we would need somebody like Bennett on right from the start, I''d stick with the two tough men up front. I wouldn''t be surprised to see Lambert play with wingers against Stoke, best chance we have got is to get wide and pump balls into the box, hoping that Holt and Morison can connect with one of them. Absolutely no chance of playing through the middle against Stoke, in fact I think that if there is one game where Hoolahan will be rendered ineffective it will be this one. Hope I''m wrong though, Hoolahan is in my dream team. Although so is Shawcross! [/quote]

[/quote]Hoolahan and Jackson would get snapped in half against Stoke. Like I said, I hope I''m wrong. A goal each for Hoolahan, Holt, and Shawcross, would be just perfect for my Dream Team :PSeriously though, Stoke just kept a clean sheet against Chelsea, they conceeded 48 goals all season last year. Chelsea like to get the ball down and play, I don''t think we can do a better job than them. There is no easy way to play against Stoke, we are probably both wrong. Maybe counter attacking football would be the better option, who knows, but Stoke play very deep. You usually counter attack against offensive teams who play with high lines (like us, in fact). You will struggle to counter attack against a team who keep 10 players behind the ball for the whole match. I don''t think that Hoolahan is particularly quick though, quick with his feet yes, but I''d have thought that Bennett was the more applicable choice there. I think it''s going to be an extremely tough game whichever way we look at it. Normally if Stoke score first they take the three points. The worst thing that we can do is conceede the first goal again, I wouldn''t be surprised to see us draw 0-0. To be honest, I stick by playing Holt and Morison up front again. You may be right about Hoolahan, but I would like to see Bradley Johnson in for Surman and possibly Bennett in there somewhere.[/quote]

There is no reason to be so scared of Stoke, they only managed 3 wins away from home last season and scored a paltry 46 goals. Stoke aren''t going to stick 10 men behind the ball against us like they did Chelsea (who looked very disjointed yesterday and lack pace across the pitch). Playing a high line and breaking when we can should see us well, the key to beating Stoke is to go at them, to many teams try to stick in their big guys and go toe-to-toe.

I agree that the first goal is very important, but it will be in every game this year. Changing our game too much will lead to a disjointed performance from us also.

[/quote]I guess you might be right. This is a big chance for 3 points for Stoke, so they might be a little less rigid and play with a higher line. They don''t really have much to lose by sticking 10 men behind the ball against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal, and everything to win, but they will want to go out and get the first goal against us. I would take three away wins this year though! This is a really important game for us, if we don''t take our first 3 points on Sunday then it may be some time before we do, the first win is the most important. To be honest I''m more nervous for the Stoke game then I was for the Wigan game (although the fact that I didn''t go to Wigan and will of course be at Stoke may play a role in that).

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Stoke are probably the most dangerous out of the top 6. They are bulit on a strong defence. If there is ever a good time to get them it must be just after they have played in Europe. They do not have the squad to deal with the league and a lengthy european campaign, spurs last season had disappointing results following most european games. That all said it will be a massive test but to be frank that will be the case most weeks[/quote]

On home form i would agree with you, away from home last season brought 3 wins and 3 draws.

The 10 wins at home secured thier prem position, something we need to replicate.

If PL gets his player selection and tactics right then a win is on the cards.

H

Drop Whitbread when he''s our best header of the ball? He may well be injured anyway, but if fit, Whitbread has to play. The guys wins everything in the air which we will need on Sunday.