Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Stoke...

It looks like they have lost Etherington to a fairly serious arm/shoulder injury and possibly Delap with a hamstring problem. One of their substitutes today, Ryan Shotton, also has a very long throw. I think the threat for us will be balls crossed into the box with Jones, Shawcross and Huth trying to get on the end of them.

Yeah think we are going to need quite a few changes in the team to play stoke. I''d probably switch to a 4-2-3-1, drop Whitbread, Fox and Surman. Stick in Barnett, Johnson and Bennett.

Bring in a bit more muscle and pace.

Lets move the advertising boards as close to the pitch as we safely can. Less run up might reduce the distance he can throw the ball.

He did limp off today with what looked like a hamstring injury along with etherington (Arm) so hopefully they will both be out on sunday.

If you take Fox out you lose all the creativity...

I would too go with your formation but we have to go with

Fox Crofts

Bennett Hoolahan Pilkington

Holt

imo

There is no point whatsoever trying to match Stoke at what they do. We need loads and loads of pace on the wings and to make them chace the ball on the floor.

I''m not that worried about their long throws, they scored about 5 goals from 250 long throws last year. Not really a good return, more worried about their wingers getting in behind our full backs and whipping in the crosses.

our pitch is quite enclosed anyway so he could perhaps try a long throw from standing ;) would be surprised if he''s fit though. hope him and etherington are unfit

Could the old codgers and part-timers who usually leave early on a saturday please note that the following excuses will be null and void:-

1) having to catch a train (you''ll be lucky on a sunday)

2) gotta get home for tea (match will be over by 3.30pm so that sunday roast won''t be going dry until at least 6pm)

3) to avoid traffic ( see 1 above)

This is our first premier game for years so lets try and last the 90 (+5) minutes if humanly possible.

LOL...u just know that some will still leave (probably to get home for Antiques Roadshow or the like).....and it''ll be picked up by the cameras and be shown on Sky Sports etc.

No idea why some people choose to get the earliest train back...I always get the 18:00 (for example) back to London...nice and quiet!

Please don''t tell me some people genuinely leave a match early because they need to "get home in time for tea" - I don''t think I could stand it...and yet, and yet I can see it being the case with some of our blanket and thermos brigade.

You''d think the club would perhaps arrange for games to kick off at 2:30pm so as not to inconvenience them as much?

It''s like going to the football gets in the way of the normal day to day lives of some people!

I don''t think it is the trains it is the cars - which can be a bit of a grind on certain roads out of the City.

The idea of taking it easy, watching the whole game and waiting for a bit would not occur to some folk.

For them ''avoiding the rush'' is seen as somekind of victory. Whilst the rest of us sit, nervous eyes on the clock wishing it on or that it could stop (depending on the score) these folk regard it as their master.

A sad existence but one some feel far more comfortable with than that of not knowing to the second what time they will be home.

Lets be clear, Stoke will have 10 strong guys on their team, guys who are trained at being tough. We need to beat them passing and with speed because thats what they don''t have. If you saw today, when Chelsea passed the ball a bit more Stoke were a lot more on the back foot! I know we can''t pass like Chelsea but the principle applies.

We need to play our own game against Stoke. No point in trying to lump in as many big men as possible. I expect the team and line up to be fairly similar to yesterday.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]If you take Fox out you lose all the creativity...

I would too go with your formation but we have to go with

Fox Crofts

Bennett Hoolahan Pilkington

Holt

imo[/quote]How you going to drop Morison after his performance?my team would be,                         Ruddy       Naughton  Barnett  De Laet  Tierney                                                      Fox                              Bennett         Crofts                                           Hoolahan                              Morison   Holt              

Stoke are probably the most dangerous out of the top 6. They are bulit on a strong defence. If there is ever a good time to get them it must be just after they have played in Europe. They do not have the squad to deal with the league and a lengthy european campaign, spurs last season had disappointing results following most european games. That all said it will be a massive test but to be frank that will be the case most weeks

This is going to be a fascinating game. I love (and hate) what Pulis has done with them! It''s a bit like when you''re picking a team in fantasy football - he has chosen to spend all his big money on the back four, some of it up front, and then spent about 2 million on his entire midfield! And we know why that is! The midfield has virtually no creative function at all other than to get it forward or to break up the opposition play. In very simple terms, you could say that is the midfield''s role in a nutshell and i guess that is the view the Pulis has taken and you kind of have to admire the singlemindedness with which he has pursued that approach.For us on the other hand, our midfield is almost certainly where we are strongest, so it''ll be fascinating to see which approach comes out on top.

Etherington has a suspected dislocated shoulder and Delap has tweaked his hamstring.

Looks like we wont have to move the hoardings pitch-wards anymore!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]It looks like they have lost Etherington to a fairly serious arm/shoulder injury and possibly Delap with a hamstring problem. One of their substitutes today, Ryan Shotton, also has a very long throw. I think the threat for us will be balls crossed into the box with Jones, Shawcross and Huth trying to get on the end of them.[/quote]

Would be good if Delap and his long throws are missing.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]You didn''t see Ryan Shotton''s throw in after Delap had gone off then...[/quote]

And how many goals have they actually scored from these long throws? Everyone harps on about them, and yeah once in a while it will come off, but defending that should be basic for any Premier League defender. I really don''t see why people get the jitters about Stoke''s potent throws? I''m happier Etherington will be out. Between him and Pennant bombing down the wings we''d be run ragged by the end on Sunday.

LegIwan - How many goals do they score from their long throws? Er, i think you''ll find quite a lot. Especially in their early seasons in the Prem when it seemed almost every other throw they had that went in the box lead to a goal. Teams look for it now but they still cause chaos in the box. You essentially have to imagine that for every team, if you put the ball over your goal line, the oppo get a corner. But for Stoke, they get a corner if you put the ball over their goal line OR, effectively, anywhere over the touchline in the final third. Which inevitably increases the number of chances to score that they get from balls in to the box.

[quote user="Methane"]Could the old codgers and part-timers who usually leave early on a saturday please note that the following excuses will be null and void:- 1) having to catch a train (you''ll be lucky on a sunday) 2) gotta get home for tea (match will be over by 3.30pm so that sunday roast won''t be going dry until at least 6pm) 3) to avoid traffic ( see 1 above) This is our first premier game for years so lets try and last the 90 (+5) minutes if humanly possible.[/quote]

Methane! a few pedantic points;

1) Fair enough - but surely it will be rail replacement buses people will have to catch due to engineering works?

2) Youve obviously never had one of my mother in laws roasts which is dry as soon as its served let alone by 6pm

3) Since when has ''traffic'' ever had anything to do with trains?  Unless you mean rail traffic in which case when has Norwich station ever been that busy anyway?

4) Actually it will be our 1st premier league game for 8 days.....

Also - dont expect 5 minutes of injury time in the Prem unless the established prem side we''re playing isnt winning.....