Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Bally Smart in the champions league!

I like to keep an eye out for former City kids, and remembered Bally Smart today. Paul Ince loved him when he went out on loan to MK Dons, but he got released shortly afterwards and went to play in Greece. I can remember that he used to play for the South Africa under 21''s. The lad was really highly rated by many who used to watch away games, super fast, probably the quickest at the club at the time. Anyway, he signed for Charlton in 2010 but never got a game.He now plays in the Latvian league for a team who win the league every year, so Bally Smart will now being playing in the Champions League Qualifiers, before getting knocked out of the UEFA cup in the 1st round each year! He got a champions league game last week!

Bally was a few years below me at ThorpeAlways used to watch him play football at lunch, the speed that boy had then was amazing.The fact that he has played is Champions League Quals is amazingGood luck to the guy

I was friends with Bally at school so it''s good to hear that he''s doing well for himself. I was pretty gutted when we let him go, I always believed he had the potential to make it big, biased perhaps but I knew a few promising academy players when I was younger and none of them looked anywhere near as good as Bally did.

Does anyone happen to know if there''s a comprehensive list of all British players plying their trade abroad? We all hear of the big players who move like Beckham and Owen etc, but what about the players who never made it here, or who disappeared of the radar? It would be pretty interesting to know and see what their experiences are if they tweet etc.

Jonesy, I don''t know of a website that offers a definitive list as such however, lesrosbifs.net has some great pieces on guys abroad. Well worth a look around.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Jonesy, I don''t know of a website that offers a definitive list as such however, lesrosbifs.net has some great pieces on guys abroad. Well worth a look around.[/quote]

Absolutely fantastic, cheers Leg''.

Ha! Marlon Harewood plays for Guangzhou in China. I''ve been to the stadium there and know the city very well, how weird to think he now plays there. It''s certainly not common to see foreigners away from the business sector.