Sign in to follow this  
Fraz

my new season ticket is great

[quote user="Dan Druff"]Further to the comments about the extortionate rates SKY charge pubs for a licence, I spoke to the landlady of a smallish city pub and she said the bastards wanted 15k a year for the privilege to show their product. Ludicrous. As I said earlier, I hope the dirty digger fails in his attempt to stop this alternative broadcasting package. I bet the cnut is messing himself at the moment, the ugly, decrepit fossil.[/quote]I googled and found £1k per month, but I too recall somebody saying that Sky wanted £18k. I suspect it is £12k just for Sky Sports, and of course you need the whole package to get Sky Sports!That is a hell of a lot of money, if your talking about 50 pence profit per drink (not too far out there if your chained to a brewery), you would need to sell 36000 pints EXTRA to justify a Sky package. Unless your Wetherspoons or have an incredible city centre location, just isn''t going to happen. I really do think that a pick ''n'' mix solution is needed. A small local might be able to pay a few grand to pick a selection of games that they believe will pay for themselves, but like I said..... you aren''t going to bother turning it on for Wigan v Fulham on a Monday night.

I shall certainly be watching the Chelski game in my local boozer.....and I won''t feel the slightest twinge of guilt. In fact, I shall watch a large percentage of our away games down the local boozer depending on my personal finances.....without the slightest twinge of guilt....

It''s deemed not illegal at this moment in time....and long may it continue.

I could have gone to the rouble of getting a ticket for Stamford Bridge - but why should I pay £50.00, that is not including travel and refreshment costs....When I travelled to and from Wigan including staying overnight, which will work out cheaper than a day in the smoke?

If I feel I have the disposable income to travel to other away games that I personally deem will give VFM.....then I''ll go to them.....

My season ticket is one of the higher priced tickets for a pew at Carra, that money goes into the club.....Watching the away games in the local boozer and having a few pints and some grub - means my money goes into the upkeep of my local pub and allows it to continue trading....

I''m only partly plastic.....but, I can live with that.....and I''m sure that I''m not the only one....

The sky subscriptions for the pubs are extortionate. Last time I had any dealings with them they were linked to the rateable values. I know of one city centre pub that pays over 20,000. They pay it so I guess they must consider it worthwhile. I struggle to understand how. But having paid all that money to sky they still won''t get the punters who want to watch Norwich on a Saturday afternoon because as far as I''m aware sky are unable to show these games.

The package that I understand shows every Norwich game I am told is 2,000 pa. Even that is a lot of money for some pubs and clubs. Even at the suggested 50% margin this would mean the outlet taking an extra 105 quid for every game. That''s without considering the other trade that would be lost.

It''s easy to blame Murdoch and sky for all of this. But they are only providing folk with what they want. Nobody is holding a gun to individuals or publicans heads. They are paying these prices of their own free will. It must be VFM to them or they wouldn''t pay it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The package that I understand shows every Norwich game I am told is 2,000 pa. Even that is a lot of money for some pubs and clubs. Even at the suggested 50% margin this would mean the outlet taking an extra 105 quid for every game. That''s without considering the other trade that would be lost.

[/quote]

I think the Latvian systems at £150/£200pm are pretty good value for the pubs tbh, they can probably show around 5 Premier games a week ( Sat/Sun/Mon ) so thats 20 games a month, thats only about £7/£10 per game if I''ve done my maths right, which they are easily going to claw back with the extra trade.

Yep Angel.. That''s about 2,000 pa. I wouldn''t touch it for that to be honest. It would mean I''d need to take an extra 5,000 pa to break even. I guess it depends on circumstances of the outlet and what they stand to lose. If I showed football at 3pm on a Saurday I''d lose a lot of my present customers so that would have to be taken into account. As a members club I would need other members to replace those who stayed away and then make the extra dosh after that. We think everybody is into football when the truth is it''s a minority.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I think the Latvian systems at £150/£200pm are pretty good value for the pubs tbh, they can probably show around 5 Premier games a week ( Sat/Sun/Mon ) so thats 20 games a month, thats only about £7/£10 per game if I''ve done my maths right, which they are easily going to claw back with the extra trade.

[/quote]

And exactly how much money do you think would be "clawed back" here in Norwich for a televised game between say Swansea V Sunderland at 12.30 saturday lunchtime or 8pm on a monday  night. The answer is zilch because nobody would be the slightest bit interested in turning out to the pub to watch it.

Sorry Angel but your view is far too simplistic.