Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Only eyes for West Ham eh Tony?

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/08/14/tony-fernandes-on-brink-of-100m-qpr-takeover/

Is he insane? £100m? What would they have been worth at the start of last season? Sure they''re in the Prem now but if they go back down again, they''re back to being worth half that at best. Yes the prem is worth 90m even if you go straight back down but 99% if not 120% of that will be spent trying to keep them up. Worst possible timing to buy in at this stage. I thought he''s supposed to be a businessman!!

All that said, not bothered about him not investing in us mind. Don''t want anyone investing in us who a) wants a financial return b) isn''t a fan

"Don''t want anyone investing in us who

a) wants a financial return "

perhaps you might care to look up the word invest(you might want to look up the word donate while you are at it)

Why do you assume Fernandes had the opportunity to buy Norwich?

grantroederdisaster I think you will find he had a chance to invest in NCFC not buy NCFC.

Thankyou C1st but as an econonmist i''m well aware of what the word ''invest'' means. More interestingly however, it does have non financial meaning. Delia would definitely say she has invested in the club, but she has not sought a financial return from that. (Don''t start Cluck and co - not on any serious scale i mean).Most of the people who come in offering to rescue or buy a heavily indebted club - M Evans, the people that took over Coventry, and of course, the Glazers and the Dubai investment people who were sniffing around Liverpool - all of them want a financial return on their investments. That means taking money out of the club, over and above the initial investment, to pay to those investors (rather than to the running of the club, for buying players etc). Abramovich doesn''t and the Man City owners don''t (appear to) want any financial return from their investments. They''re just indulging themselves in football as something to do with their money. So as you can see, there are different kinds of ''investor'' and i repeat, i do not, will never want an ''investor'' like Evans, Glazer or any kind of private equity fund or hedge fund anywhere near NCFC. I''m not entirely sure i even want an Evans or an Abramovich type but i''ll leave that for now!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Not interested in West Ham but Norwich City are a bigger club than QPR without any doubt and Fernandes has had the opportunity to buy Norwich so why oh why?[/quote]

---

There was never any serious suggestion that Fernandes was looking to buy Norwich City or that we wanted to sell to him; the suggestion, serious or otherwise, was that he might become a minority investor.

As to him taking over QPR, if that happens, there are two points. Firstly, the £100m he is paying doesn''t go the the club. It goes into Bernie Ecclestone''s pocket. Secondly there is still a question over how rich Fernandes is, and to what extent he will be able to bankroll a club, and with Norwich that might have mattered. With QPR I doubt it does, because the planned deal increases the stake held by Lakshmi Mittal, who is seriously well off.

Delia and her husband bought sharse that gave them a controlling interest in the club. It has allowed Delia to develop the catering side.I would suggest that the further ''investment'' has arisen as needed rather than money put up from day one.

I would suggest that Abramovich has other motives than a sinple interest in football. As an ''econonmist'' I''m sure you are aware of what those are.

''Hinvestors'' tend to move in on basket cases where emotion outways financial realities. Usually assets cannot be realised as sentiment sways. Evans hasn''t done that much at poorman road other than stick another £20m on their debt. It should be clear that his intent is not the same as the simple rustics have deluded themselves into believing.

Whether their intention is money laundering or simply getting hold of a piece of prime inner city real estate only time will tell. Unfortunately that time may will be nearer than many think, as recent events with sky subscription have shown.

Outside money coming in as a soft loan or a donation as with the £2m from Foulger may be a welcoming boost and can make all the diference at a critical moment - but it should not be seen as a continual process or as a means of running the club.

These ''hinvestors'' tend not to be kindly old uncles happy to rub the tousled head of a young lad while handing over some money "there you go young fella m''lad, let me know if you need some more"

....... that''s why they have access to large sums of money.

He can make money out of the club sell the stadium and convert it to flats/houses/commercial sell the training ground and convert it ect and then move the stadium training ground to a green belt area and boom you have made money. If you watched how to buy a football club you''ll  know what the outcome to this situation will be.

I''ve no idea what you''re talking about now. All i said was i don''t want an investor wanting a financial return for themselves investing in NCFC. You seemed to question that, i tried to clarify, highlighting the different kinds of investor that buy  in to football clubs. Do you not agree with that then? You don''t have to of course, i''m just a bit confused as to what the point you''re making is.  (I did get the bit about Abromovich. I actually don''t think he has any interest in making money out of Chelsea. If you look at the finacial performance of the club since he took over, i''d have thought that''s obvious. His motivations are entirely football oreintated if you ask me. If he had any others, they''d have come to the fore by now. He''s an adopted Londoner, he lives there, his children go to school there and he ''seems'' genuinely, almost obsessively focussed on bringing titles and the champions league to Stamford Bridge).

Lol@Jas!Indeed - this whole Briatore/Ecclestone/Fernandes thing is very fishy indeed! Fernandes is a businessman, so won''t be in to losing/wasting money on QPR, he''s far from a billionaire so can''t bankroll QPR. Plus he''s a self confessed Hammers fan. Plus he already has an F1 team to bankroll - every bit as much of a money pit as a PL football club. Just doesn''t add up. Unless something along the lines you suggest Jas, suddenly emerges in the coming weeks...

[quote user="a1canary"]I''ve no idea what you''re talking about now. All i said was i don''t want an investor wanting a financial return for themselves investing in NCFC. [/quote]

So are you against Delia and MWJ. making a profit on their shareholdings when they decide to sell?

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="a1canary"]I''ve no idea what you''re talking about now. All i said was i don''t want an investor wanting a financial return for themselves investing in NCFC. [/quote]

So are you against Delia and MWJ. making a profit on their shareholdings when they decide to sell?

[/quote]

Careful A1, Tangie is looking for recruits for his cause. Next thing you know it will be conscription.

"Abramovich doesn''t and the Man City owners don''t (appear to) want any financial return from their investments. They''re just indulging themselves in football as something to do with their money."

Then by your own definition they are not investors, there are donors, Very, very few and far between.

Unfortunately a rosy picture is often painted, as with Mathew Harding who was stiffing Chelsea left right and centre with regard to the loans he was guaranteeing. While it may not be obvious there are numerous ways that can be and are used to siphon money out of and through clubs. Fres and commissions are paid through third parties to arrive in some offshore account. Likewise money comes through that means to be cleaned through the club.

It is the basket cases, as with those down the A140, who have little choice but to accept whoever offers to keep the club afloat and turn ablind eye to how it is done - or in the case of the paupers watch as ''their'' people are removed from the board and so have no eye to turn a blind eye.

We have people who have donated to the club and it has been of immense help in both keeping us afloat when neede and pushing us forwarded, as recently. Thankfully, most likely to them, we are not a basket case nor likely to be, so won''t need the services of an ''investor''.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]How could anyone begrudge them making a profit after all they''ve put into the club over the years and taking nothing out? Do you Tangy? [^o)]