Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Penalty or not?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Ref gave it so yes. You can''t touch a player in motion around the penalty area without running the risk simple as that.

As Zipper stated earlier, just how the game is these days.[/quote]

But the question posed was : penalty or not ? The replay showed that contact (minimal contact at that) started outside the box with the Wigan player''s momentum taking him inside the box where of course he fell down. So, in answer to the OP : IMO, not a pen.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

As for the ref not keeping up, it was like the liverpool one,  fast players following a last defender balls up,  not many refs as quick as de laet so shoudl accept the linos help when he was well placed - surely thats what he is there for?

[/quote]

I agree the lino is there to help and lots of Refs don''t/won''t accept that help.

If the Ref had been further down the pitch he could have had a better view of the incident and not taken the decision of the lino who saw it from the point of view of the attacker going down with absolute minimum (if any) contact. I totally agree with the ''coming togther'' opinion - so was it a foul?

[/quote]

interested to hear your views on the Barton incident from Saturday Waz. the fact that Pardew is defending it is shocking!
[/quote]

There should have been 3 reds in that game.

Song (hopefully with a lengthy ban attached) for stamping on Barton, disgraceful. Gervinho for bitch slapping Barton, not the punch that many Newcastle players (including Barton) suggested. And finally Barton, you cannot pick a player up by his shirt collar in such an aggresive manner. Oh, and an Academy award for Barton for his falling on the floor ''not having been punched'' role.

Bogbrush177 Wrote: "But the question posed was : penalty or not?"

If the contact was outside the box, No penalty of course. Absolutely no question.

But by making contact with the opposition player on the edge of the box as our player did, he was asking for trouble, simple as that. And the Ref/Lino gave it. Smart play from the Wigan player.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

I personally thought it was not.

Very soft penalty, looked (as described on MOTD) as a ''coming togther''. If there was any contact (and it''s a big if) it was outside the box. I''m also disappointed at the fact it was given by the lino, where were you Ref? You should have had a better view and reached the right decision - In my opinion!

[/quote]

I couldn''t say for certain if the ref was correct. What I can say, without fear of contradiction, is that had Man U, Arsenal etc been in a similar position, then no penalty would have been given against them.

The chelski game confirmed how tough it is for refs to know - they appealed for 3 penalties but watching the torres and lampard ones fills me with shame.

Torres chose to swing his boot at the ball missed and then decided that he was not strong enough to hold off the defender after all then appealed.

That was bad enough but the lampard one deserves punishment post match of a one match ban. Yes he pushed the ball past the player but not only did he chose to leave his own feet down so that they hit the defender when it was easy enough to skip past and score he CHOSE to fall before for a foul before his body had even reached where the defenders legs were!!! If ever there was evidence of how corrupt the penalty problem has become it was this one for me.

A lot of the problems are caused by the Refs not giving yellow cards for simulation. If you dive, get no penalty and no yellow card you''ll do it again and again. The Refs have got to enforce the law here strongly to send out the message that diving will not be tolerated.

The solution to the problem of diving and conning referee''s is simple. Use video evidence to dish out a one match ban for blatant diving. Like i said ... simple ... but not in a million years will it ever happen.

A lot of the problems are caused by the Refs not giving yellow cards for simulation. If you dive, get no penalty and no yellow card you''ll do it again and again. The Refs have got to enforce the law here strongly to send out the message that diving will not be tolerated.

Completely agree :-)

[quote user="City1st"]"Martins incident was a definite pen .........possibly because Di Santo went down very easily. The latter explains why IT WAS NOT a penalty. Over reacting to contact does not mean a penalty. His throwing himself to the floor was an afterthought in response to contact from Martin - not the involuntariliy resut of that contact. As to Purple''s rather muddled guff, might I suggest he actually reads my post.[/quote]

I