Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Match of the Day

Does it not sum it up when they spend more time showing the highlights of last seasons Newcastle v Arsenal game (4-4) than our first game back in the prem last night?

Also they were talking about who was going to win the league before all the teams have even played.

Hanson is a idiot and Shearer is not much better ( How can he pick swansea). I did not see the game to me being offshore but from what i have heard and seen we were good for a point. Match of the day highlights made us look a little nervous but with plenty of room for improvement. We can survive.

We have played second fiddle to leeds for two seasons on the BBC highlights, looks like it will be second fiddle to QPR this season. They looked terrible.

People have written on here a lot of what I was thinking re, being second to last, highlights of last years Arse/Newcie game,Shearer and Hansen etc.

I just thought that for one fleeting moment, and with only the Arse playing a 0-0 game out of the top 4, we might get recognition for one of the greatest achievements in recent football history (2 promotions in successive years ending in the Prem). How naive of my little country bumpkin self. I really should learn to respect the experts from the master race (the media) and get back in my straw filled hole.

MOTD''s ''expert''s'' are so turgid and Lineker is so banal (and that''s with his script written for him!) We know we have got this for at least this season, so I''m off to anger management classes, before it''s too late.

Let''s not get all angry about this! We''re in the Premier League! Let''s have some fun at their expense. I''ll post weekly summations of their antics to keep us all amused...although I don''t get MOTD so some of you may have to add the juicy bits.

They want to behave like children, then we can too!

Don''t worry KK, you are right,it''s just, as always with life, the person who shout''s loudest or has a platform to shout from, seems to have the ''expert'' opinion, and it''s very easy for the masses to follow.

We get it everyday in marketing/branding techniques from things like the Supermarkets etc, and people follow like sheep, without taking/making the time to look deeper to get their own opinions,

Hansen was, once, a quality pundit.

That was when the role was new to him and he was making every effort to impress and secure himself a reputation as one when TV football coverage was expanding with the game.

He''s now complacent beyond belief and offers nothing. Smug, patronising, going through the motions.

Whilst Shearer never has. Can you imagine him as a Manager? No wonder he screwed up during that short spell he had at Newcastle, his ability to motivate must lurk someway beneath zero whilst he offers, like Hansen, little or nothing from the perspective you would hope for from an ex-player. Where is the serious analysis, the breakdown of tactics, the "introduction" to viewers of Norwich (and QPR, Swansea), this is who they are, the players,how they might play. Don''t assume, don''t write off, don''t belittle, treat the team, the players seriously and with respect, set aside the little smirks and the easy one liners and cooking puns. The BBC has dumbed down MOTD beyond belief, its wallpaper football, it washes over you for an hour or so, leaving most viewers with the sort of glazed expression that the producers would expect after a dose of sporting mogadon. It should challenge, ask questions, incite expectation and sensible debate, but no, its all about the programme not the sport itself.

Lawrenson, don''t get me started. How he has the prime role and position within BBC Sport, I cannot imagine. He sneers his way through matches, little asides and snide observations, when he isn''t familiar with one of the teams, he''ll say things like "look at the left back" and "the player covering for them", "their midfielder should be supporting the striker", he doesn''t seem to even know the players names in some cases!

Lineker as a presenter has never worked for me either. He is all autocue and script. Oh for some journalistic input, someone who doesn''t need it written down for him, who doesn''t need the editor to make the words happen. Des Lynam would still stand head and shoulders above him, even today.

The programme is over produced with an obsession for little montages accompanied by curious camera angles and the sort of background music that a 30-something with a Media Studies degree would think cutting edge, "I know, lets show the goals from the Man City game in sepia, accompanied by something by Radiohead". Flick off, just show the goals as they were scored, keep it simple, stupid-this is football not art.

The BBC should hand over their football coverage to whoever does the F1 production for them. Its a programme clearly made by fans for the fans, its serious, committed and takes the whole sport and all the teams seriously without the need to dumb down or simplify. The present MOTD format is as tired as any TV programme can get and needs a complete revamp-one presenter, one analyst, a simple set and the sort of time given to breaking down a game that is given to the F1-reasoned and with insight, not simple and throwaway.

I haven''t watched last nights MOTD yet -Sky +''d- so this isn''t a knee jerk reaction to their coverage of us-however, I am now not looking forward to it and may just look at the goals and leave it at that!

Gon''t really give a twopenny cuss about the pundits, but watching the live stream & then MOTD did give cause for concern. Two main reasons:too many prem teams have players like Moses, who just ran through us at will. Our defence has got to sharpen up, & quick.We looked like a champ club who had strayed into the wrong league. Too slow in our build-up, too ponderous in attack.BUT I believe Lambert will rapidly address these problems. It''s hardly surprising anyway, as very few of our players have any experience at this level. In fact it''s rather similar to last year''s start, for exactly the same reasons. It''s all quicker & cleverer, & it takes getting used to. And I firmly believe our players (& manager!) have the ability & character to get the hang of it. And, when all''s said & done, we got a point.Overall I''m quite pleased!

"SKY has been miles ahead of the BBC for years regarding football ,and all sports for that matter"

So they should be with the money spent ahd time they give to the various sports whereas the BBC are tying their best to get rid of what little coverage they have to pay for reality rubbish etc.

The BBC have already lost the rights to cover even highlights of Championship/L1 and L2 football from next season-indeed, this will probably be the last season that they show any form of live football in this country, period.

They might just hang onto some sort of Prem highllights package but C4 and C5 nearly outbid them for that last time and will, no doubt, be looking to do just that next time around.

Am I the only who thought the coverage was fair?

Fair enough Shearer thinks Swansea will be the ''best equipped to stay up''. He didnt technically say that he thinks we''ll go down and we''re all entitled to opinions!

The first day of the season is notorious for throwing up strange results that end up bearing little relevance to how the league finishes. Last year Wigan got tonked 4-0 on the opening day by Blackpool but who stayed up? Back in the 80-81 season we beat Stoke 5-1 on the opening day but were relegated & I can recall some weird result involving us and Colchester recently......At the end of the day, we did OK & got a point away from home against a team who are almost certain to be with us in the bottom 6 at the end of the season.Personally, I couldn''t care less what any of the pundits say - most of the Sky one''s were complimentary but even Merson said he doubted we would keep a clean sheet all season (something a lot of us probably agree with - after all we did concede nearly 60 goals last year and we have the same keeper, 3 of last years back 4 and the same midfield so why would things change against much better players every week.

I too watched the live feed during the game and thought that overall we performed very well. The stats show that possession was pretty balanced. We weren''t overawed. But watching those MOTD highlights gave a completely different perception altogether. It showed us having only 2 chances - Holty''s near miss from Fox''s first half free kick and the goal - and, as Hanson said, of ''riding our luck''. It was nothing of the sort (although we were lucky to escape when Barnett and Ruddy miscommunicated near the end of the match).

Sky''s ''Football First'' showed nearly 45-50 minute highlights of our game and with blinkers off, and based on that we were lucky at times imo.

Still, MOTD who? [:|]

[quote user="Mark"]"SKY has been miles ahead of the BBC for years regarding football ,and all sports for that matter"

So they should be with the money spent ahd time they give to the various sports whereas the BBC are tying their best to get rid of what little coverage they have to pay for reality rubbish etc.[/quote]So they may have loads of money but i remember when sky first won the TV rights they were not exactly rolling in money at the time, but got it spot on straight away and have just improved year on year. Where as the BBC have gone downhill year on year. I agree the BBC have there hands tied to some degree regarding what they can spend on sports programs but they just don''t move with the times and are stuck in a time warp.

[quote user="Tony from southrepps"][quote user="Mark"]"SKY has been miles ahead of the BBC for years regarding football ,and all sports for that matter"

So they should be with the money spent ahd time they give to the various sports whereas the BBC are tying their best to get rid of what little coverage they have to pay for reality rubbish etc.[/quote]So they may have loads of money but i remember when sky first won the TV rights they were not exactly rolling in money at the time, but got it spot on straight away and have just improved year on year. Where as the BBC have gone downhill year on year. I agree the BBC have there hands tied to some degree regarding what they can spend on sports programs but they just don''t move with the times and are stuck in a time warp.[/quote]

Its true Sky have improved coverage of sports etc to a different much higher level.

I think the BBC do F1 and the tennis quite well but yes their football coverage is pretty bland and has been the same old pundits for a while.

It''s worth mentioning that MOTD didn''t show moses walking past our defence, so it''s not all biased against us.

They have limited time to get everything in, i really enjoyed watching it for the first time in years and wouldn''t expect a 1-1 draw with Wigan to feature very high on their list.

We will have many days to come.

Got to say though, QPR looked vey dangerous in the opening minutes - This is gonna be a tough season.

MOTD really is p*ss poor these days. It manages to make the Football League Show look good. Shearer is just a joke, he''s never said anything insightfull or of interest... ever!

Following this guy is quite interesting, a lot of insights into what the BBC are and aren''t allowed to do due to the rights negotiated with the Premier League. He also explains how the running order is chosen and will give the order before the show is broadcast so you now when Norwich will be on.http://twitter.com/#!/MOTDEditorI feel the highlights weren''t far off the truth of the game - Wigan had 11 shots on target compared to Norwich''s 3. Some of Wigan''s better chances were also edited out. Attempting to be as neutral as possible I don''t think any of Norwich''s half chances should have been in the show in place of the more clear chances Wigan missed.  Norwich held possession well at times but didn''t create a lot - you can show highlights of the Norwich midfield passing the ball around well.

Hansen, Lawrenson and co have always done my head in. As others say motd 2 is better as Lee Dixon talks a bit of sense and they usually have a player or manager on who usually know their stuff. I wish Robbie Savage appeared more as he is the best pundit around. Fair enough he annoyed the hell out me as a player but honestly he talks more sense than Shearer, Hansen and Lawrenson put together

MOTD looks like some sad old boys club these days.

There is a MOTD Facebook page, if you''d like to comment (actually, I see some already have)

[quote user="ron obvious"]Gon''t really give a twopenny cuss about the pundits, but watching the live stream & then MOTD did give cause for concern. Two main reasons:too many prem teams have players like Moses, who just ran through us at will. Our defence has got to sharpen up, & quick.We looked like a champ club who had strayed into the wrong league. Too slow in our build-up, too ponderous in attack.BUT I believe Lambert will rapidly address these problems. It''s hardly surprising anyway, as very few of our players have any experience at this level. In fact it''s rather similar to last year''s start, for exactly the same reasons. It''s all quicker & cleverer, & it takes getting used to. And I firmly believe our players (& manager!) have the ability & character to get the hang of it. And, when all''s said & done, we got a point.Overall I''m quite pleased![/quote]Agree with most of this, ron.We started nervously, and, in the first half did look a bit out of our depth. I thought at half-time '' we''re gonna be in for a long hard season ''. Second half was much better but Moses, easily the MOM, still carved through us at will ( it''s just as well that N''Zogbia is no longer on the Wigan payroll )As ron says there are plenty of other teams in the Premiership who have players as good - or better - than these. I''m hoping that we settle down to playing reasonably comfortably at this much higher technical level of football but it will take a bit of time. I''m perhaps not quite as confident as ron that the players will be able to do it but with Paul Lambert in charge it won''t be from want of trying.....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="ron obvious"]Gon''t really give a twopenny cuss about the pundits, but watching the live stream & then MOTD did give cause for concern. Two main reasons:too many prem teams have players like Moses, who just ran through us at will. Our defence has got to sharpen up, & quick.We looked like a champ club who had strayed into the wrong league. Too slow in our build-up, too ponderous in attack.BUT I believe Lambert will rapidly address these problems. It''s hardly surprising anyway, as very few of our players have any experience at this level. In fact it''s rather similar to last year''s start, for exactly the same reasons. It''s all quicker & cleverer, & it takes getting used to. And I firmly believe our players (& manager!) have the ability & character to get the hang of it. And, when all''s said & done, we got a point.Overall I''m quite pleased![/quote]Agree with most of this, ron.We started nervously, and, in the first half did look a bit out of our depth. I thought at half-time '' we''re gonna be in for a long hard season ''. Second half was much better but Moses, easily the MOM, still carved through us at will ( it''s just as well that N''Zogbia is no longer on the Wigan payroll )As ron says there are plenty of other teams in the Premiership who have players as good - or better - than these. I''m hoping that we settle down to playing reasonably comfortably at this much higher technical level of football but it will take a bit of time. I''m perhaps not quite as confident as ron that the players will be able to do it but with Paul Lambert in charge it won''t be from want of trying.....[/quote]

Agreed, we did well to get away with a point IMO, all a bit championship really. A couple of nice moves and some chances, but I fear that unless midfield are able to take more control, we''ll concede more than we score. Wes had a good game, we really struggled to deal with Moses and the fast counter attacking moves. Wigan are one of the lesser teams and I fear for us when we play even midtable sides like Sunderland, Bolton etc. Just hope there are 3 teams worse than us. QPR will invest, so I think we''re looking at Swansea, Blackburn and one other to go down. That being said, it''s a learning curve and we have the best manager around to speed up the process. Report by Hucks is pretty much spot on.

My word we sound like a bunch of whingers.Some dont seem to realise that MOTD is made for viewing outside of Norfolk. Bolton QPR was on first as it was the most interesting result of the day, a newly promoted team being spanked on the opening day. Most views would have been tuning in to see that result or to see the Barton/Gervinho incident or maybe to see how the new signings at Liverpool did. Wigan v. Norwich would be pretty low down on most peoples list.To complain that they didnt show our spells of possession etc is kind of missing the point of highlights. Even the pinkun twitter feed admitted we were hanging in there a bit at the end of the game, it seemed to me the highlights reflected that.Also, while I think Shearer is dogshite as a pundit its not really fair to have a go at him for thinking Swansea may stay up- its just his opinion. You may disagree (as I do) but he is perfectly entitled to hold that opinion. Many people are going to think we will go down, you cant get annoyed at someone for thinking that.However the Delia quip at the start was awful. No excuse for that sort of stuff still.

It''s a case of the same old story.Like sky motd will favour the big clubs.If you work out the support (sorry fans) of the big four it probably out weighs the rest of the viewing public.

If they''re biased towards the bigger clubs they get less flack.

Just like the refs,give something wrong against us,its forgotten in a minute,give something against man U and it''s headline press for a week and the ref is in the championship the next week.

Too much money in football for it to change.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

That was when the role was new to him and he was making every effort to impress and secure himself a reputation as one when TV football coverage was expanding with the game.

He''s now complacent beyond belief and offers nothing. Smug, patronising, going through the motions.

Whilst Shearer never has. Can you imagine him as a Manager? No wonder he screwed up during that short spell he had at Newcastle, his ability to motivate must lurk someway beneath zero whilst he offers, like Hansen, little or nothing from the perspective you would hope for from an ex-player. Where is the serious analysis, the breakdown of tactics, the "introduction" to viewers of Norwich (and QPR, Swansea), this is who they are, the players,how they might play. Don''t assume, don''t write off, don''t belittle, treat the team, the players seriously and with respect, set aside the little smirks and the easy one liners and cooking puns. The BBC has dumbed down MOTD beyond belief, its wallpaper football, it washes over you for an hour or so, leaving most viewers with the sort of glazed expression that the producers would expect after a dose of sporting mogadon. It should challenge, ask questions, incite expectation and sensible debate, but no, its all about the programme not the sport itself.

Lawrenson, don''t get me started. How he has the prime role and position within BBC Sport, I cannot imagine. He sneers his way through matches, little asides and snide observations, when he isn''t familiar with one of the teams, he''ll say things like "look at the left back" and "the player covering for them", "their midfielder should be supporting the striker", he doesn''t seem to even know the players names in some cases!

Lineker as a presenter has never worked for me either. He is all autocue and script. Oh for some journalistic input, someone who doesn''t need it written down for him, who doesn''t need the editor to make the words happen. Des Lynam would still stand head and shoulders above him, even today.

The programme is over produced with an obsession for little montages accompanied by curious camera angles and the sort of background music that a 30-something with a Media Studies degree would think cutting edge, "I know, lets show the goals from the Man City game in sepia, accompanied by something by Radiohead". Flick off, just show the goals as they were scored, keep it simple, stupid-this is football not art.

The BBC should hand over their football coverage to whoever does the F1 production for them. Its a programme clearly made by fans for the fans, its serious, committed and takes the whole sport and all the teams seriously without the need to dumb down or simplify. The present MOTD format is as tired as any TV programme can get and needs a complete revamp-one presenter, one analyst, a simple set and the sort of time given to breaking down a game that is given to the F1-reasoned and with insight, not simple and throwaway.

I haven''t watched last nights MOTD yet -Sky +''d- so this isn''t a knee jerk reaction to their coverage of us-however, I am now not looking forward to it and may just look at the goals and leave it at that!

[/quote]

The best thing I''ve seen written on this forum for many a moon, Shuck! Many thumbs up... or at least, the one I still have completely intact...

One thing I will say about Shearer''s comment about Swansea: Overall, they were inconclusive about who will be relegated. I got the impression, having just watched it, that they were being as vague as possible. After all, how can you tell after just one game?

[quote user="Militant Canary"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

The best thing I''ve seen written on this forum for many a moon, Shuck! Many thumbs up... or at least, the one I still have completely intact...

One thing I will say about Shearer''s comment about Swansea: Overall, they were inconclusive about who will be relegated. I got the impression, having just watched it, that they were being as vague as possible. After all, how can you tell after just one game?

[/quote]I feel a little sorry for the MOTD production team - the rules set out in the rights they have to the highlights restricts the amount of time they are allowed to give to games and even restricts the amount of time the entire show can be. Also, many viewers tune into MOTD just for the goals, they want to see Rooney smash it into the net and that is pretty much all they want to see. If there was in-depth discussion on tactics and formations then they would receive huge amounts of complaints from these people. The BBC have always argued that the role of MOTD is to show the goals and main talking points for the details of players, formation, tactics etc fans should use the BBC website and other sources. To add to all this the budget for MOTD is fairly small, the BBC spend more to get Premier League Highlights than they did to secure the live rights to all the F1 races. Just be pleased it isn''t on ITV anymore, they were obliged to show the bigger teams earlier to increase advertising revenue - this lead to 0 - 0 bore draws being the first show of the program.

There is also the point that the BBC show sport for sports sake. Sky uses sport to attract advertisers.

There are two very different masters and I''m sure were Sky able we wouild have at least four quarters to the game and any gizmo or interuption possible to appeal to the advertisers.

There is nothing really wrong with the format of MOTD giving what it is suppose to do, except that the use of the current presenters is turning it into an institution - in the way that Songs of Praise and Last of the Summer Wine were/are institutions.

The coverage is much better compared to the FLS, but they did make Norwich look stupid! Probably won''t ever have much of a good word to say about us, even if we get a 3/4-0 win - We''re the forgotten team behind QPR and Swansea, already been written off, but come the end of the season, we''ll be the ones laughing!

Just to finally cheer you all up it is reported today that Lineker''s salary is £2million and Hanson £1.4 million. The BBC must be the most cosiest company to work for - you only need to watch Look East !!! I totally agree MOD needs a complete revamp with new presenters and pundits. The current bunch are boring and grossly overpaid. There are many other people who would be much better and could be employed substantially less than the above rates.

As to the match, a point was satisfactory and it is early days. I thought both teams were very average with numerous poor passes and crossing. We created very few chances and defended too deeply.

But Lambert will sort it and we will survive. His team selection was correct apart from Surman who is lightweight and is slow to recover when attacks breakdown.