Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Match of the Day

Predictable Delia "recipe" quip - yawn ...

Why does Shearer think Swansea are better equipped to survive than us, when they haven''t even played yet? What is he basing his assumption on? Pillock.

Apologies for all those who couldn''t watch the whole of the match today.

I obviously fell asleep during the game as according to those highlights we had one attack and one goal.

I''m sure they had two yellow cards bringing down our players on the attack and we had some decent moves but no no no I must have been dreaming.

Good old BBC. Bias in sport bias in politics

[quote user="canary_bird"]Predictable Delia "recipe" quip - yawn ...

Why does Shearer think Swansea are better equipped to survive than us, when they haven''t even played yet? What is he basing his assumption on? Pillock.[/quote]He saw them a couple of times last season. Does he need any more reason than that? [:|]

I watched the game in Delaneys today and those highlights on MOD were shocking. Talk about making us look shit and Wigan looking half decent . They did not show any Norwich attacks apart from the goal. And as for Shearer how he can base his prediction on what he saw last season when both us and Swansea have different teams this season is beyond me always thought he was a  Muppet and now he has proved me right.

having just got back from the game and watching motd if they portray us like that and have that fool hanson n lawronson in future weeks i for one wont be watching much! same old bbc what about the backpass n holtsheader in the second half to name 2 highlights

I was at the match today and at times we played nice football. The obvious one they missed in the second half was Bennetts first time cross and Holts looping header.

The smug fu*king grin on Hansons face is patronising and he read the first penalty decision wrongly even with the aid of cameras.

It''s about time they left these antiquated hosts in the 80''s where they belong and freshen the whole thing up!

I usually agree with your posts Bethnal but ignoring Alan Shilling, which I do on a regular basis, the editing of the game was not a fair reflection of the game.

Indeed Wigan''s manager paid compliments to City but surprising these too were edited out.

Shame they can''t just make MotD 2 the main format as that is actually worth watching. Mainly because the pundits aren''t completely biased towards the top four and can recognise when teams play well.

MOTD will be more and more an irrelevance as games are now pretty easy to watch. Be they home or away. If you can''t get to Carrow Road there''s plaenty of pubs in Norfolk or the internet

Anyone who expected us v Wigan to get much coverage is deluding themselves, likewise anyone expecting any reasoned thought from Hansen or Shearer.

" there .... plucky little Norwich, keeping the lid on things, like a small egg hard to beat, on song, that wasn''t on Delia''s menu ...... blah blah blah.......

As a netural I certainly agree much as with most of the media MOTD is based around the top 4-6 with the pundits knowing very little about the players and teams below...

TBH Shearer and Hansen are pretty dull pundits anyway at the best of times and have said in the past they care little for anything outside the usual top teams.

Anyway good luck for you guys..

Hope you and Swansea do well!

Shocking highlights. Talk about a complete misrepresentation of the game in terms of possession and chances. I can see the meme has gone around the BBC about plucky backwater team ''riding their luck'' in the premiership. Expected more, but then the national BBC''s coverage of us has always verged on the farcical.

As Bury Yellow, I find I must have been in another magical land and not watching the game from behind the goal in the WD40 stadium. I recall us having more possession in the second half , playing some decent football and believing we could actually win the game. However obviously we were outplayed and lucky to hang on, given the waves of the Wigan onslaught. Presumably the ground was full, Wigan has a rich history of Footballing Legends, and Joey Barton is just a simple scamp who should be given a fair crack of the whip as he is simply misunderstood.

Even by MOTD standards that was crap.

But at least I didnt have to listen to Steve Claridge talking about Conner Wickham.

Felt pretty angry watching that.... Wigan only had the attempts shown throughout the entire match, thats what 6 attacks? None of our flowing passing or possesion (particulary in the second half for the first 30 minutes) was shown or commented upon.How about Surmans indirect free kick inside the box that just went over the bar, apparently not a worthy point in the match!? holts header from a great Bennet cross? the several over lapping runs into the box by Morrison. More attention and credit was given to a crap and woefully off the pace QPR who got hammered at home... says it all really. And Alan, no the second penalty wasnt stone wall and the given one was questionable and appear outside of the box... neither of which were raised.Shearer took the cowards way out by say he facied the team that no one has even seen yet and probably will be taken apart by Man City on monday! Joke.TV license for this trash? Sky for once actually get my thumbs up from what ive heard from their pundates and the quality of their highlights.

[quote user="birchfest"]Felt pretty angry watching that.... Wigan only had the attempts shown throughout the entire match, thats what 6 attacks? None of our flowing passing or possesion (particulary in the second half for the first 30 minutes) was shown or commented upon.How about Surmans indirect free kick inside the box that just went over the bar, apparently not a worthy point in the match!? holts header from a great Bennet cross? the several over lapping runs into the box by Morrison. More attention and credit was given to a crap and woefully off the pace QPR who got hammered at home... says it all really. And Alan, no the second penalty wasnt stone wall and the given one was questionable and appear outside of the box... neither of which were raised.Shearer took the cowards way out by say he facied the team that no one has even seen yet and probably will be taken apart by Man City on monday! Joke.TV license for this trash? Sky for once actually get my thumbs up from what ive heard from their pundates and the quality of their highlights. [/quote]SKY has been miles ahead of the BBC for years regarding football ,and all sports for that matter.

Having had the chance to see the penalty incident again I have some observations.

De Laet is really quick; he was back on his heels but caught and got goal side of his opponent who was wide and going wider.

The referee did two crucial things in making his decision. He didn''t book De Laet because he must have thought the Wigan player wasn''t clear on goal but he supported rather than over-ruled his linesman. If he truly believe it was a foul it should have been at least a yellow.

De Laet didn''t protest but this might have been because he felt he had committed a bad error leading to the incident and was shaken.

The referee had a good view of the second penalty shout but maybe didn''t give it as he wasn''t convinced the first was a penalty.

There was nothing in the contact other than running alongside a player who dived. De Laet had the legs on his opponent who was going nowhere and goals change games so the decision was crucual.

Oddly enough the end result was fair to us so no point in fretting. Being positive De Laet looks a shoe in for the side because he is exceptionally quick and as his later tackle in the box proved, technically excellent. He also responded excellently to the set back. I''m really warming to this player and wondering if our best back four will eventually comprise three new players?

I liked the look of Bennett too and felt he made an impact in defence as well as attack because again he has pace.

MOTD is a tired programme with a dull cast and seriously needs re-vamping.

Was it so bad?

Most of the stats I have seen say possession was 50/50 ish, with us only having 1 effort on target to their 7, while we both had 8/9 efforts off target, suggesting both sides had efforts not shown.

As far as the penalties were concerned it did look like Martins was definitely one, and de laets are given 9 times out of 10 so cant see much cause for complaint there - and the players did not protest too much.

It did look as if holt could have done better with Foxs cross in the first half and they showed de laet in fine light after his school boy error. While there was nothing from Bennett in the highlights there was also little from Moses who by common consent seems to have been MOTM and did cause us problems all day, being direct, fast and having the beating of the consistent and reliable Martin all day; again balanced coverage of the game, although fair to say not enough time was given to it overall. The best and clear cut chances and key decisions were around the city penalty area, which reflects the "stats" in relation to which team carried the greater goal threat as opposed to sound possession.

We do need to create more, finish clinically and defend far better, esp against pace, than we did today - that was the panel view so again I dont see how the assessment is wrong.

But to be honest if other team see this coverage and underestimate us because of it, long may it continue as it will only benefit us.

I do concur with the rational hatred for dirty shearer, smug hansen and lame lawro, but to say the coverage was unbalanced against us seems a little harsh.

I''m a little surprised by people''s reaction. Unless our game finished with a surprising scoreline (QPR) then we were always going to be at the ass end of the programme, which means only about 6/7 incidents get shown. We may have played half decently but the scoreline wasn''t a surprise so they showed the two goals, 2nd penalty appeal, clash of heads, Holt/Formica near miss, Wigan hitting the post.

Likewise feel the MoTD highlights were edited in such a way not to give us the credit we deserved.

Happy though for them to ignore and underestimate us, Lambert and team will do exactly what they''ve done for the last two seasons and quietly and determinedly go about their business. No doubt whatsoever

Shearer and Hansen, imagine getting paid what they do to toss each other off every saturday night. I expect they enjoy their work.

We were on second last because our game was fairly uninteresting with no upset or controversial moments. If we had won or lost 4-0 then we would have been on first. Stop moaning.

We did ride our luck but then again so did Wigan!

It was a penalty and we were lucky that the Wigan player over reacted when Martin kicked him at the end of the 2nd half otherwise the ref could of given that one!

The only part I disagreed with was the editing of the 2nd half made it look like it was all Wigan attacking but in reality we had a lot more of the poccession!

I''m not really bothered about Hansen cause he will never see us as being anything more than a Country bumpkin side making up the numbers!

Unfortunately all this blinkerness towards Norwich is the reason why many ignorant people outside of East Anglia see us a being of a similar size to Colchester and Peterborough!

Still better to be under rated than over rated with all the pressure attached to that!

And they give the prime extended highlights spot to QPR who completely caved in today, with a respectful interview with Warnock who I seem to recall said he was quite pleased or something similar which seemed bizarre.

We are never going to be a "fashionable" team and they already have us relegated, so I don''t expect much better as the season progresses. It''ll be interesting to see what happens if we beat one of the top clubs.

BBC gets worse every year!!! One saving grace is that Lawrenson was not on - oh how I hate the prat! Please someone take him out back and put me out of my misery!!

Unfortunately I have recently learned that Sky provide the only decent coverage of the beautiful game in this countey, the Football First highlights covered everything needed and the couple of minutes I missed whilst stuck at the bar!

"Please someone take him out back "

by the sound of his affected, rather disturbingly feminine voice it does sound as if someone already has, repeatedly

I commented on Lawro on another thread yesterday and said he seems to be both smug and often uninformed in his comments about teams outside the top lot.

And I said that it would only taken Hansen''s return to complete the return of the Terrible Twins. And so he has.

Trying to remain balanced, there were clearly some moments where we looked dodgy and taken out of the context of watching the whole game, might have lead to his conclusions. But both of them - Hansen in particular - just seem so ready to smirk and dismiss, rather than try and be constructive. I don''t know, maybe they think it makes good TV. I''ll listen to anyone who has a fair point to make about our weaknesses, but not to those whose views are shrouded in pre-conceptions, a lack of seeming knowledge (of our team and of the whole game) and smugness. I mean, even if you were talking to someone who had climbed Everest (in football terms) and felt you should respect them, you wouldn''t listen much if they commented on your climbing of Ben Nevis in a dismissive manner. That''s the point, it''s their manner that I find unappealing.

Both of them have some valid things to say at times and will doubtless make some comments with which we might agree, (the content shouldn''t be dismissed simply because it''s Hansen and  Lawro). But conceit is not a pretty quality.

Knowing that this is more than likely to happen throughout the season I''d like to propose a weekly ''Terrible Twins'' comments thread, so we can enjoy their self-serving swagger with a smile.

And, if anyone thinks that Hanno''n''Lawro''s tone of voice is the way of all modern pundits and journalists, take a look at the balanced reports from the weekend''s media.