Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Ipswich playing the 4-51 system

Not really sure what the sequence or point is but they are completely ill equipped to play that system. I was very surprised they played it against us at Portman Road. Essentially for the 4-2-3-1 or whatever you wish to call it to work, you must have a central midfielder with the power and mobility to get beyond the striker thus breaking the defensive line.I think Andy King at Leicester and Kevin Nolan at West Ham are probably the two best exponents of it in the league. They also have to be supported by two fast widemen who can turn defence into attack.

Ipswich had three very similiar central midfield players in Norris, Bullard and Leadbitter who were not capable of doing it that night. I don''t really see how Norris leaving and signing Andrews has changed that to be honest. Neither to do I think Chopra is a man who is best suited to playing up front on his own. He usually needs another striker to feed off. I think they could really struggle this season. The Bristol City result was a bit of a false dawn because I think Bristol City are nailed on for the drop in my eyes.