Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Chelsea away in a couple of weeks.... how would you approach it?

Going to the home of Chelsea is a different matter entirely to Wigan away and Stoke at home. I dont think anybody can argue with that.

Chelsea will go for our jugular at Stamford Bridge. We are the ''whipping boys'' of the division in their eyes and they will be expecting the 3 points.

In my opinion we should go for a defensive formation for the game :

WFL GH   Morison

Wessi

Brad Johnson Fox    Crofts       

Tierney De Laet Ayala The Norfolk Cafu

Ruddy        

It will be up to us to defend from the front but at the same time go forward as well. We absolutely cannot let Chelsea have as many shots as Wigan did- to do so will be suicide- we might not have a choice I know but we need to make it as difficult as possible.

What do you guys think?

Oh and P.S I do realise that Stoke is our next game but Chelsea is definitely on the horizon!

OTBC

[quote user="City1st"]Down the A11[/quote]This does seem to be the most sensible option, can''t see many disagreeing, not even MOTD.

To attempt to defend a 0-0 scoreline against that kind of firepower would truly be suicide and I suspect would end up being an absolute creaming.

I think we have to play our own game and hope we can do it well enough to come out of it with credit and dignity and I honestly believe this offers a far greater chance of a 0-0 than turning up for the game with defence as the priority. 

If we are not good enough then so be it, there is no disgrace in losing to a team that is expexted to finish either first or second at the end of the season.

[quote user="InLambertWeTrust"]

Going to the home of Chelsea is a different matter entirely to Wigan away and Stoke at home. I dont think anybody can argue with that.

Chelsea will go for our jugular at Stamford Bridge. We are the ''whipping boys'' of the division in their eyes and they will be expecting the 3 points.

In my opinion we should go for a defensive formation for the game :

WFL GH   Morison

Wessi

Brad Johnson Fox    Crofts       

Tierney De Laet Ayala The Norfolk Cafu

Ruddy        

It will be up to us to defend from the front but at the same time go forward as well. We absolutely cannot let Chelsea have as many shots as Wigan did- to do so will be suicide- we might not have a choice I know but we need to make it as difficult as possible.

What do you guys think?

Oh and P.S I do realise that Stoke is our next game but Chelsea is definitely on the horizon!

OTBC

[/quote]

Defensive at Chelski? are you nuts, and for 90 minutes?

We''d get crucified! [:S]

To attempt to defend a 0-0 scoreline against that kind of firepower would truly be suicide and I suspect would end up being an absolute creaming.

I think we have to play our own game and hope we can do it well enough to come out of it with credit and dignity and I honestly believe this offers a far greater chance of a 0-0 than turning up for the game with defence as the priority. 

If we are not good enough then so be it, there is no disgrace in losing to a team that is expexted to finish either first or second at the end of the season

CORRECT!

The best form of defence is attack so ill just approach it like a normal game.

with PL quote firmly in our heads "if you cant win, don''t lose"

Not sure the team you mentioned is that defensive, it is still the diamond really with Surman missing out to a more combatitive Johnson. Given current injury status either Ayala or Barnett would be the only other change from Saturday. It will also be interesting to see when Jackson gets a run, his pace will be needed sooner or later, probably not at Chelsea though unless we are only 1 down.

Simple. Bribe the Russian to bring back David Beasant

For those of you who don''t remember....

"Chelsea were 2-0 up and cruising against the unfashionable Premier League leaders, but just a minute after the re-start Beasant flapped at Mark Robins'' mis-hit shot to help the ball into the net. The former Manchester United hitman netted again to make it 2-2 and then with just 10 minutes left Dave Phillips struck a hopeful low shot from 30 yards through a crowd of players. Beasant appeared to have the ball covered, but inexplicably allowed it slip past him and into the corner of the net. The England international did not play for Chelsea again for almost six months".

I''d think about using the wingers (Presumably we invested in them to give us alternative options) with two playing deep in midfield to soak up as much of the inevitable pressure as possible, and use Hoolahan''s pace and Holt''s eye for goal to hopefully pick up some crosses and long-balls. Maybe something like this :

Ruddy

Martin Barnett Ayala De Laet

Crofts Johnson

Bennett Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt

with Jackson on for Wes when he starts to look tired.

We''re good at playing smart passing football, but against the top teams they''re just going to outclass us if we play the same way as usual - Bolton and Stoke survive because they''re prepared to play ugly long-ball football when they have to, and I think we''re going to need the same mentality.

Think I agree with the above. There''s no way we can sit there and soak up pressure for 90 mins - we couldn''t even do that in the Championship.

Likewise I don''t think we''re really going to be able to pass the ball around/through Chelsea.

Having some pacey wingers to catch them on the break would be our best bet, no?

[quote user="Paul Lamberts Spectacles"]Think I agree with the above. There''s no way we can sit there and soak up pressure for 90 mins - we couldn''t even do that in the Championship. Likewise I don''t think we''re really going to be able to pass the ball around/through Chelsea. Having some pacey wingers to catch them on the break would be our best bet, no?[/quote]

Agree, I''d like to see both Bennett and Pilkington playing the wings against Chelsea with Crofts and Fox playing inbetween them. The issue then is do we leave out Hoolahan and stick with two strikers, or still play Hoolahan and go with one upfront?

Thankyou to those of you who have taken this thread seriously [;)]For what it''s worth I agree with alyshaPilkington and Bennett on the wings with Crofts and Fox in the middle. Hoolahan and dare I say it... Morison up front?Sorry Holty!

[quote user="Kevin Keelan"]

Simple. Bribe the Russian to bring back David Beasant

For those of you who don''t remember....

"Chelsea were 2-0 up and cruising against the unfashionable Premier League leaders, but just a minute after the re-start Beasant flapped at Mark Robins'' mis-hit shot to help the ball into the net. The former Manchester United hitman netted again to make it 2-2 and then with just 10 minutes left Dave Phillips struck a hopeful low shot from 30 yards through a crowd of players. Beasant appeared to have the ball covered, but inexplicably allowed it slip past him and into the corner of the net. The England international did not play for Chelsea again for almost six months".

[/quote]2 minutes 25 seconds in....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZwlpXHqD7U(also 1 minute 10-ish vs Arsenal)

" but inexplicably allowed it slip past him and into the corner of the net"

subsequent revelations have pointed towards good reason for those many ''slips'' and goalkeeping ''fumbles

ps good to see that WitS is using her laptop responsibly and not joining in with all those other naughty folk who use it to access football streams from various sources

[quote user="way out west"]Depends where you''re starting from.  Cross country via Chatteris to Huntingdon then A1 from here.
[/quote]

Definitely not A17 and M62.