Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Successive promotions!!

We were all so happy about managing that very impressive and difficult feat.

But look at Southampton and Brighton, top two in the Championship.

Yes i know its only three games in, but getting three wins in a row, even at this stage in the season in the Championship is very impressive, and i wouldn''t be surprised if Southampton won the League from here, and Brighton could very well stay in play-offs.

I know its not strictly related to NCFC, but we did it last season, could the south coast clubs repeat what we did?

remind us how our great start lead to us getting promoted

or the start the year before that led to us being champions

or how well Charlton did in the first ten games or so in that year - or Leeds as well

how the binners started so well last season, as did Cardiff

And how do other teams previous starts matter?

Just because other teams have failed to build upon their good starts, or do well after a poor start, does not mean that a good start won''t help. Otherwise teams just wouldn''t bother.

For a promoted team to come up and get 3 wins from the first 3 games is a pretty impressive feat, and with the right mentality, and avoiding a massive slump, they could quite easily keep themselves up the top. Surely its easier to stay near the top than it is to get near the top?

If we don''t need to start the season well, might as well just not turn up for the next couple of games...

Im sure Southampton will be challenging for the top 2 this season, Brighton top 10 but play offs might just be beyond them..As a side note re back to back promotions to the top division – everyone

keeps banging on how we''re the 1st team since Man City (1999-2001) to

do this but they only got promoted from league 1 to the championship

through the play offs. What we did was much more impressive and I think I''m right in saying the last team to win

back to back promotions via the automatic spots only was Sheff Utd in

1988-1990, they finished runner up both seasons..

Southampton have looked impressive so far, but it is very early days.  I would expect them to be there or thereabouts.

Promoted teams do tend to start well, maintaining their momentum from the previous season, if I recall both Leeds and Millwall started well last season (if not quite the 100% records the Saints and Brighton have enjoyed thus far).

Southampton have the same powerful combination we had - a good squad that has been improved further and momentum. That is a massive boost and should see them there or thereabouts come May.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]We were all so happy about managing that very impressive and difficult feat.

But look at Southampton and Brighton, top two in the Championship.

Yes i know its only three games in, but getting three wins in a row, even at this stage in the season in the Championship is very impressive, and i wouldn''t be surprised if Southampton won the League from here, and Brighton could very well stay in play-offs.

I know its not strictly related to NCFC, but we did it last season, could the south coast clubs repeat what we did?[/quote]Maybe.  Ask us again in April.

"If we don''t need to start the season well, might as well just not turn up for the next couple of games... "

Aha, the old ''make uop something the other person never said and argue against that instead'' defence

I never said in that "we don''t need to start the season well", as you know and others can clearly read.

What I did say that was that a good start to the season IS NOT an indication of how that season will end. I gave examples that related to recent seasons. I would add more so, after a mere three games.

"And how do other teams previous starts matter?"

That is plain idiotic. You can hardly post up an opinion then claim that all other relative evidence doesn''t matter.

Its not plain idiotic.

Football does not follow the same pattern every season does it?

When did i say you said we don''t need to start the season well?

I was simply using your ''evidence'', if we managed to get two promotions, with poor starts, we might as well not bother starting well this season. If we had won the first three games, we would probably end up getting relegated.

I was just asking if people think these two teams can do it, not saying they are dead certs to do so. Your response was quite rude, you could have said i don''t think they will because previous seasons have shown you don''t need a good start to win promotion. But no, you just come out with a few examples that really have no bearing on what Southampton and Brighton are going to do this season. They might both go unbeaten all season, its unlikely, but just because Cardiff and Ipswich started well last season, and didn''t keep it up, doesn''t mean Southampton and Brighton can. Its got nothing to do with pervious form of other teams, its down to the players and management of those clubs, to keep a winning mentality.

Previous form and/or past history counts for nothing in fooball.

''The past does not equal the future'' does it?

Southampton & Brighton could easily run away with it; there will be many teams enthused and motivated ''to do a Norwich'' - I blame Paul Lambert! :-)