Sign in to follow this  
morty

Tony Fernandes.

(Apologies to Robin for nicking this off Facebook)Sooooo, he didn''t want to buy Norwich as he would only ever be involved with his beloved Wet Spam, and up he pops buying QPR.Have we had a lucky escape there? All sounds a bit two faced and fickle to me.

What''s the situation with us and Lotus?

The Lotus we have just tied up a commercial agreement with isn''t the Fernandes version of Lotus as in his F1 connection is it? Or is it?

Or are we tied in to the Lotus who are also in F1, along with Renault and who are racing in the old black and gold livery this season-thought that might be the case, as they brought along the old black and gold JPS F1 cars to the ground this season.

Or is our Lotus the car maker Lotus, period, who have no connection with F1 other than two people who hold some sort of dubious hold on the name?

Thanks Pete-time to switch my F1 allegiances in that case from Trulli and Kova-thingy to Petrov, Heidfield and Kubica!

Have to say that the "hold" Fernandes has on the Lotus name does look rather tenuous, at best!

Controlling stake in a Premier League club for £100m, when the other partner is one of the world''s richest men? Sounds like a bit of a bargin to me. Also Fernandes tried and failed to buy West Ham so I guess he has realised that ship has sailed.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Thanks Pete-time to switch my F1 allegiances in that case from Trulli and Kova-thingy to Petrov, Heidfield and Kubica!

Have to say that the "hold" Fernandes has on the Lotus name does look rather tenuous, at best![/quote]Before you go switching, Fernandes'' team is based in Norfolk and run by a Norwich City fan...

I am pretty happy that talks between Norwich and Fernandez did fall through. The fact he is a West Ham fan and he is going to take over another London team is pretty wrong. I don''t think he will be much better the Ecclestone and Briatore to be honest. Think he clearly is only doing it for a quick profit. Not like Delia who is in it for long term, Delia will only sell up to someone who has Norwich at heart which I think is what owners should be about.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]I am pretty happy that talks between Norwich and Fernandez did fall through. The fact he is a West Ham fan and he is going to take over another London team is pretty wrong. I don''t think he will be much better the Ecclestone and Briatore to be honest. Think he clearly is only doing it for a quick profit. Not like Delia who is in it for long term, Delia will only sell up to someone who has Norwich at heart which I think is what owners should be about.[/quote]

I don''t know about that. Fernandes is sport crazy I don''t think he is looking at QPR as an investment but more as something he can enjoy. I''ll doubt he''ll be like David Whelan and pump millions of pounds into the club, but think he will look for the club to become a steady Premier League club which reinvests its money into players - which is basically what Delia does at Norwich. If he manages this I can''t see too many QPR fans being unhappy and for them almost anything must be better than Ecclestone and Briatore, who blocked Warnock from spending any money on players apart from £1.25m on DJ Campbell.

Agreed, Morty.  As soon as TF said that he would only ever buy into his beloved West Ham I didn’t want him to come here.  At the end of the day there is potentially a conflict of interest – if we were in for a player along with West Ham, would he back us?  Likewise if West Ham wanted one of our players would he sell them over the head of our manager?  

Im sure people will point to Scott Parker possibly going to QPR but even that is potentially doing the hammers a big favour – OK he’s a good player but was part of a relegated side and TBH likely to be a bit of a luxury in the Championship – one they cant afford.  So by buying Parker, it gets him of WH’s books

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Agreed, Morty.  As soon as TF said that he would only ever buy into his beloved West Ham I didn’t want him to come here.  At the end of the day there is potentially a conflict of interest – if we were in for a player along with West Ham, would he back us?  Likewise if West Ham wanted one of our players would he sell them over the head of our manager?  

Im sure people will point to Scott Parker possibly going to QPR but even that is potentially doing the hammers a big favour – OK he’s a good player but was part of a relegated side and TBH likely to be a bit of a luxury in the Championship – one they cant afford.  So by buying Parker, it gets him of WH’s books

[/quote]

I think you would have to be a fan on an epic proportion to jepodise millions of pounds of your own money to give a slight boost the team you support.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Barclay hero"]

[/quote]

I think you would have to be a fan on an epic proportion to jepodise millions of pounds of your own money to give a slight boost the team you support.

[/quote]Like Delia has done for us perhaps?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]I am pretty happy that talks between Norwich and Fernandez did fall through. The fact he is a West Ham fan and he is going to take over another London team is pretty wrong. I don''t think he will be much better the Ecclestone and Briatore to be honest. Think he clearly is only doing it for a quick profit. Not like Delia who is in it for long term, Delia will only sell up to someone who has Norwich at heart which I think is what owners should be about.[/quote]

I don''t know about that. Fernandes is sport crazy I don''t think he is looking at QPR as an investment but more as something he can enjoy. I''ll doubt he''ll be like David Whelan and pump millions of pounds into the club, but think he will look for the club to become a steady Premier League club which reinvests its money into players - which is basically what Delia does at Norwich. If he manages this I can''t see too many QPR fans being unhappy and for them almost anything must be better than Ecclestone and Briatore, who blocked Warnock from spending any money on players apart from £1.25m on DJ Campbell.

[/quote]

I think it''s fair to say Ecclestone and Briatore are probably into sport too, they blocked some transfers which isn''t good, but Warnock is buying players who are going to be on big wages. Bothroyd,Gabbidon, Dyer, Taarabt etc. Under Briatore and Ecclestone they have got into Premier League by giving Warnock quite a fair amount of money to get some players in,a lot of it has been put into wages to be honest, but didn''t they make a bid for Carlton Cole? I don''t like them but Briatore and Ecclestone have not done QPR too bad in my book. The two examples you gave were Dave Whelan and Delia who are big fans of the clubs they own. They have the club at there hearts and will do only what they think best for club. Tony Fernandes I think toke over a club for the sake of it He will put money in, but I don''t think money is always good. You don''t want to go down and have some of these players on your books eating at your wage bill, we have seen in the past it can be disastrious. I also think there is going to be conflict in interests at some point. How would you feel if someone took over Norwich who were admittingly avid West Ham fans. There will be a lot of problems with that I think.

It''s easier said then done to become a Premier League team and I actually think the best way of doing is West Brom way. Becoming a yo-yo team between divisions. Which means the worst thing to do when going up is to straight away buy players on high wages. It can be tragic if you go down.

My point is Briatore and Ecclestone backed Warnock in my opinion. I just think because Warnock has bought players on high wages it could well backfire. If Fernandez puts more money in, it could backfire even more.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Barclay hero"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Like Delia has done for us perhaps?
[/quote]

I was more suggesting I doubt someone would damage the club they own and have spent millions on to help out a team they support (especially as Fernandes''s support for West Ham seems a little ropey).

I''m not suggesting I would want him at Norwich over Delia, along with Al Fayed and Dave Whelan I think we are lucky to have one of the best owners in the Premier League and it will take someone truely special to replace Mrs Smith once she does eventually decide that its time for her to go. I just think that Fernandes could turn out to be a very good thing for QPR and I see him as more of an Al Fayed than a Hicks and Gillette.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

He will need to pump in millions a la Whelen to get QPR to be a steady Premier League club though, there is no way they would be able to afford regular average PL wages to keep them up with a ground capacity of 18,500.  Someone somewhere would have to pick up the shortfall, or pay to expand/build a new stadium.

"Everyone knows I''ve followed West Ham all my life but I''ve always had a soft spot for QPR," said Fernandes, who is also team principal of Formula 1''s Team Lotus. "Rangers were one of the first teams I watched as a child at Loftus Road."

He''s gone down in my estimation, after this comment - what a load of 8ollox

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]"Everyone knows I''ve followed West Ham all my life but I''ve always had a soft spot for QPR," said Fernandes, who is also team principal of Formula 1''s Team Lotus. "Rangers were one of the first teams I watched as a child at Loftus Road."

He''s gone down in my estimation, after this comment - what a load of 8ollox[/quote]I agree with you. It''s a bit like saying "I''ve always been a City fan but I have a soft spot for the binners". Not no-way, not never, not no-how. YUK! [:S]

[quote user="morty"](Apologies to Robin for nicking this off Facebook)Sooooo, he didn''t want to buy Norwich as he would only ever be involved with his beloved Wet Spam, and up he pops buying QPR.Have we had a lucky escape there? All sounds a bit two faced and fickle to me.[/quote]Doesn''t really sound fickle to me, he tried to buy West Ham twice. Once before the Norwich rumours, and once after. He was clearly very interested in West Ham, and was ready to bid again. He turned down the chance to invest in us after the first failed bid, but before the second. I''m not sure why we are all so surprised anyway, London clubs always get more attention from prospective buyers, you won''t find any near-billionaires living in the middle of Sheffield or some grim former mining town up north!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]"Everyone knows I''ve followed West Ham all my life but I''ve always had a soft spot for QPR," said Fernandes, who is also team principal of Formula 1''s Team Lotus. "Rangers were one of the first teams I watched as a child at Loftus Road."

He''s gone down in my estimation, after this comment - what a load of 8ollox[/quote]I agree with you. It''s a bit like saying "I''ve always been a City fan but I have a soft spot for the binners". Not no-way, not never, not no-how. YUK! [:S][/quote]

His comment did make me laugh, take out QPR and insert any team''s name that he took over i think lol

it sort of reminds me off Arshavin before he signed for Arsenal. He said i''ve always supported them, and then his name was touted about three other clubs all of which he supported and wanted to play for

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]"Everyone knows I''ve followed West Ham all my life but I''ve always had a soft spot for QPR," said Fernandes, who is also team principal of Formula 1''s Team Lotus. "Rangers were one of the first teams I watched as a child at Loftus Road."

He''s gone down in my estimation, after this comment - what a load of 8ollox[/quote]

How convenient ... (i.e. make up the facts to fit the situation)

[quote user="canary_bird"][quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]"Everyone knows I''ve followed West Ham all my life but I''ve always had a soft spot for QPR," said Fernandes, who is also team principal of Formula 1''s Team Lotus. "Rangers were one of the first teams I watched as a child at Loftus Road."

He''s gone down in my estimation, after this comment - what a load of 8ollox[/quote]

How convenient ... (i.e. make up the facts to fit the situation)[/quote]8ollox it may be, but he is hardly going to take them over and say "I didn''t really want to buy, but one of your local rivals rejected me, I''ll stay until the chance to buy them comes up again"!

The key word here is ''invest'', we wanted him to, but he wanted to buy I reckon, something the cook will NEVER allow. City is her toy!

Whether thats good or bad history will decide.

QPR signings will now be interesting..........they could have been ours![:S]

Situations change - when Norwich were courting him he has only recently set up an F1 team and was pumping money into that. Now the Lotus team is a bit more settled, also Fernandes has come into quite a lot of money recently after expanding Air Asian to Japan (making it the first and only budget airline in a country with 150m population, that''s worth some serious money).

I''m thinking his desire to buy a football team outright is only a recent development considering his increased wealth and with QPR owners desperate to sell it was a deal too good to turn down. £35m for controlling stake in a club which has Mittal as a 33% owner? That''s worth more than £35m. The land beneath Loftus Road is worth more than £35m alone. Also this isn''t Fernandes alone but him and at least 2 other partners from Mayalsia, so probably not soley his choice.

Our Chief Exec certainly went out of his way to show Mr Tony Lotus Air Asia the qualities of NCFC.....The local media were present at Tony''s visit.

So, whatever anyone thinks, was our Chief Exec showing Mr Fernandez around, wrong to do so? There must have been a reason for our Chief Exec to invite Tony to NCFC?

I recall that Mr Fernandez was in the Director''s box for an NCFC home game after Mr Mac had shown him the club .....Mr Fernandez sat in the back row with no club board seniors in proximity, and certainly not alongside or near to our majority shareholding duo for that game....

Maybe Mr Mac thought Mr Fernandez was worth being shown the club....but alas, our ''owners'' weren''t that keen.....maybe?

Still, we all lived happily ever after....