Sign in to follow this  
Lincs CR

Stoke: Potential injuries

Just noticed on the build up to Thun vs Stoke this evening that Delap won''t be playing any part, and both Etherington and Pennant are doubts.

On Sunday, a home game against a Stoke side potentially without Pennant, Etherington and Delap could be the perfect opportunity for us to really kick off our season.

Anybody know anything more trustworthy about the injuries they picked up against Chelsea?

http://www.teamtalk.com/stoke-city/7108844/Stoke-expect-Etherington-to-play

Etherington will most likely play as they''re expecting him to play tonight in Switzerland.

Etherington is almost certainly out, he left the field on oxygen after a nasty injury to the arm/shoulder. Delap pulled a hamstring I think, and will be touch and go for Sunday (in so ways it might be better if he plays as Stoke often play better without him). Haven''t heard about Pennant, I imagine he will turn out against us on Sunday.

If Stoke lose both Etherington and Pennant then they will have to resort to even more long balls and will probably bring in Fuller up front and push Walters onto one of the wings. For Norwich to beat Stoke we need them to attack us a bit so we can counter them, if they come with the intention of just getting one point, then we have little hope of breaking down their defence I fear.

They showed how good defensively they are against Chelsea. Not a game I am looking forward to, I think though that we should play Jackson, I think his pace could be dangerous and that''s probably the weakness in the Stoke defence. There is no point playing a physical players up front because Shawcross/Huth/ can probably match them. I think we need to use the pace in the team against Stoke. Bennett and Pilkington should start for me and then Fox Crofts/Johnson. I love Wes, but not sure this is his sort of game, because he isn''t the quickest player in the world, he does have the skill but he will have to be on the ball.

I hope Pennant is out to be honest, think he can be very dangerous player on his day, I also hope Delap isn''t playing, we seem to struggle at corners and his throw''s pretty much are corners but from a better angle.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]They showed how good defensively they are against Chelsea. Not a game I am looking forward to, I think though that we should play Jackson, I think his pace could be dangerous and that''s probably the weakness in the Stoke defence. There is no point playing a physical players up front because Shawcross/Huth/ can probably match them. I think we need to use the pace in the team against Stoke. Bennett and Pilkington should start for me and then Fox Crofts/Johnson. I love Wes, but not sure this is his sort of game, because he isn''t the quickest player in the world, he does have the skill but he will have to be on the ball.

I hope Pennant is out to be honest, think he can be very dangerous player on his day, I also hope Delap isn''t playing, we seem to struggle at corners and his throw''s pretty much are corners but from a better angle.[/quote]

Yep pace sounds good with Jackson.

Also see this being a game for Brad Johnson, to add to the muscle in the middle

Heard Pullis ranting on about how they''ve got to play on astroturf at FC Thun - I would imagine that he''s worried about picking up even more injuries on a surface they''re not used to......fingers crossed!

[quote user="Lord Horn"]Heard Pullis ranting on about how they''ve got to play on astroturf at FC Thun - I would imagine that he''s worried about picking up even more injuries on a surface they''re not used to......fingers crossed![/quote]

Not sure why Pulis is worried about the pitch, the ball will be at least 10m off it for most of the game.

I''ve been to Thun... Went on the Lake, it was really lovely... will be taking the family to Switzerland one day to meet my relatives over there who have never seen my little girl....I hope they win tonight.... interesting Fact Thun are the only side to have taken part in the champions league who have never won a domestic or european honour....

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Etherington is almost certainly out, he left the field on oxygen after a nasty injury to the arm/shoulder. Delap pulled a hamstring I think, and will be touch and go for Sunday (in so ways it might be better if he plays as Stoke often play better without him). Haven''t heard about Pennant, I imagine he will turn out against us on Sunday.

If Stoke lose both Etherington and Pennant then they will have to resort to even more long balls and will probably bring in Fuller up front and push Walters onto one of the wings. For Norwich to beat Stoke we need them to attack us a bit so we can counter them, if they come with the intention of just getting one point, then we have little hope of breaking down their defence I fear.

[/quote]

Fuller has an achilles injury and is expected to be out for at least another month

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I''ve been to Thun... Went on the Lake, it was really lovely... will be taking the family to Switzerland one day to meet my relatives over there who have never seen my little girl....

I hope they win tonight.... interesting Fact Thun are the only side to have taken part in the champions league who have never won a domestic or european honour....

[/quote]

I''ve been there too Jas - spectacularly beautiful - bit different to Stoke eh?

Am I the only person who would like to see these players playing against us at Carrow Road?! Surely the point of being in the Prem is to play against the best players!

[quote user="Largey"]Am I the only person who would like to see these players playing against us at Carrow Road?! Surely the point of being in the Prem is to play against the best players![/quote]

So you''d be upset if maybe Rooney, Berbatov, Ferdinand, Ashley Young were all out injured when Man Utd come to CR ??

Would be great to see Jones out injured. He''s always played well against us. I remember the game he played for Southampton against us just before he moved to Stoke. I think he scored a brace and he was an absolute handful.

[quote user="Largey"]Am I the only person who would like to see these players playing against us at Carrow Road?! Surely the point of being in the Prem is to play against the best players![/quote]I was thinking along the same lines , if we have to hope teams that play us are injury ravaged maybe we should still be playing a league lower . Who wants to stay up by playing other teams second string ? either we are good enough or we are not .

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Largey"]Am I the only person who would like to see these players playing against us at Carrow Road?! Surely the point of being in the Prem is to play against the best players![/quote]

So you''d be upset if maybe Rooney, Berbatov, Ferdinand, Ashley Young were all out injured when Man Utd come to CR ??

[/quote]

I would rather actually see them play. What''s the point in being in the PL if we don''t want to watch the best players?

[quote user="Prem1"][quote user="Largey"]Am I the only person who would like to see these players playing against us at Carrow Road?! Surely the point of being in the Prem is to play against the best players![/quote]I was thinking along the same lines , if we have to hope teams that play us are injury ravaged maybe we should still be playing a league lower . Who wants to stay up by playing other teams second string ? either we are good enough or we are not .[/quote]

I think you are all completely mad if thats what you think. I want to see my team win and I want my team to have the best chance of winning possible. I''m not partciularly bothered about any of stoke''s players but clearly it will be better for our chances of winning if some of their better players are injured and do not play against us. I would also be absolutely delighted if when we came to play Man United they were decimated by injury. Any other attitude to me smacks of the old nice Norwich on a jolly in the premiership attitude. I go to watch Norwich not marvel at the opposition players.

Injuries don''t decide games. They generally cause Norwich more problems then the team with the injured players..Doncaster at home, anyone?

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]Kenwyn Jones and Thomas Sorenson gone off injured!! Injury problems are mounting!![/quote]

Who else do they have injured then?

I have just watched Stoke train and I can tell you absoloutely that Delap is definitely out Woodgate is injured but the rest are all definitely fit.

They are huge. 

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]Kenwyn Jones and Thomas Sorenson gone off injured!! Injury problems are mounting!![/quote]

Who else do they have injured then?

[/quote]

They looked preety fit to me. Sorenson will be on bench though as he is not their no. 1 anymore