Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Changes for Stoke game?

I don''t think we should change things to counter Stoke specifically, but I do think that the diamond has its weaknesses for us at this level.

IMHO, the reason the defence looked a bit shaky against Wigan was that it was constantly being run at. No defender enjoys an attacker running at him.

It is asking an awful lot of Fox to be that defensive screen in front of the back four. It''s not really his game. In the Champs we could get away with it because we had so many attacking options that if we shipped a couple of goals we still often won. But chances will be at a premium now and I just don''t think we can continue to be so attacking.

I would be up for playing 4-2-3-1, with Crofts and Fox in front of the back four, the three in front being Wes and two others depending on the opposition. Based on Saturday, Morison looks the more likely lone striker than Holt, but I would totally understand why Lambert, whose strongest suit is man-management, would give Holt an extended chance given how much he did to get us here.

Funnily enough, given that Stoke tend to bypass the midfield, this might not be the game when such a formation is needed. So possibly a good old 4-4-2 with Crofts and Fox in the centre, with Bennet and Surman/Pilks providing width. Wessi in behind Holt or Morison.

In other words, I don''t know. These Premier managers earn their money if you ask me.

I find it incredible that throughout this whole thread comments have been made on this and that but nobody has looked at stoke. Who will play for stoke? I would think this is crucial in picking our team to combat them. Look at their forwards. Kenwyne Jones and Jon Walters. Both big and burly. For me I would want some physical presence in our back line. Barnett would be in the starting line up for me for sure.

Yes Martin had a torrid time up against Moses but in that vein of form I think many right backs would have struggled. Also Martin was exposed on many occasions with little help. A lesson learnt I feel. I wouldn''t discount him from Stoke though. With everything he gave last season and the fact that the odds were against him at Wigan (as they would with most) he deserves his chance again.

With regards to other parts of the pitch I would feel the way we played against wigan wont work against stoke. No point having to big guys up front. We need someone explosive to get behind Stoke''s back line. For me I would be going with Holt and Jackson.

I would go with:-

Ruddy

Martin Ayala Barnett Tierney

Fox

Bennett Crofts Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt

Like others, I felt that we were too narrow against Wigan and looked more of an attacking threat when the two wingers came on. I would keep Russell Martin in the team as he is a quality right back and because of the pace of Moses last weekend, when Martin had made the runs forward and possession was lost, Crofts found himself having to quickly track back and cover. I am not suggesting dropping De Laet purely because of the Wigan howler but because I think Barnett and Ayala have more aerial ability and strength. De Laet would be a good cover for either CB or RB but shouldn''t be first choice in my opinion.

I would go with;

Ruddy

Naughton - De Laet - Barnett - Tierney

Fox - Crofts - Bennett (Surman, B. Johnson)

Hoolahan

Holt - Morison

[quote user="nycanary"]i did watch the game.  it was on here in the states (and the stoke one is live too!).  our defence did look pretty rough.  martin, who we all know was incredible last season, was really run ragged by moses down that side.  crofts came back to help quite often but it was still tough going.  i would definitely make that change and bring in naughton.

honestly, i''ve always felt like whitbread is slow and that showed again against wigan.  definitely bring in barnett.  i think zak makes better decisions while barnett is faster and i feel the net net of that is that barnett should get the nod.  its too soon for ayala.  who knows if he''s had a significant pre-season....its going to take time.

i would also replace surman with bennett.  surman is also too slow and when you look at the diamond formation, the two sides of it also need a bit of speed to get up and down...support the attack on one end and back up the fullbacks on the other. 

i thought morison was excellent and he did outshine holty too!  the only other possibility would be that against the rougher stoke boys, we play bradley johnson instead of surman or crofts.  but i dont know if PL will make that many changes in one week.  he needs some continuity.

so....

ruddy

naughton
de laet
barnett
tierney

fox
crofts
bennett/johnson
hoolahan

holt
morison

I''d go along with that, I was at Wigan last week and would hope we learn very quickly from it   

[/quote]