Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Team V Stoke

Ruddy

Naughton, Barnett, De Laet,Tierney

Bennett , Johnson , Fox, Crofts

Holt, Morison

Team has stong spine in Holt, Johnson and Barnett which can compete with Stoke physically and creativity and pace in Bennett and Fox to supply Holt and Morison with plenty of service. Would tell Bennett to drag Huth out wide to give Holt and Morison more of a chance. Would use Wes as an impact sub late in the game to test the tired Stoke defenders.

ruddy

martin  barnett de laet  rierney

fox

crofts                    bennett

hoolahan

holt                 jackson

?

its a hard one you either play the pass and move game (shown above) or you match stoke and go:

ruddy

martin       barnett       ayala      tierney

bennett   crofts   fox   johnson   pilkington

holt     morison

Strange how fans have different opinions to the men at the top. I watched Stoke train today and it was all about how to stop Hoolahan ( and Fox ). To match them up will require a really strange system as they will be playing 4 big guys at the back that automatically changes to 3 at the back when they have the ball. Jones will be a lone attacker but will have balls to his feet and will receive out wide. Their cunning plan is to hit our full backs with Huth Wilkinson Pennant and Etherington.

They were huge. In fairness to them as well there was no talk of a high ball.  

Attack attack attack like our freakin life depends on it, maybe because I''m watching MOTD and getting super wound up about Sunday...........and breath.

definitely play 4-5-1, especially if what LIK wrote is true. huth is not a full back and i''m sure wilson is more usually (or used to be) a more central player, therefore a couple of wingers could benefit from this. Also hoolahans position would be more support striker than attacking midfielder, a minor change, but it could make the difference to stokes ability to pick him up, or at least throw a spanner in there preperations. i would then play crofts, with the last cm position  rather graciously left to lamberts decision of what would be more effective johnson more to break up play or fox to distribute the ball. i''d probably go with johnson, purely to cover our attacking full backs.with the centre backs i would imagine it''''ll be de laet with probably barnett, although if ayala has impressed in  training and settled in fairly well then who knows

I''m guessing:

Ruddy

Martin, De laet, Barnett, Tierney

Surman, Fox, Crofts, Hoolahan

Morrison, Holt.

I think PL was pleased with the 1st game, and I cant'' see that many chances..Barnett in for Whitbread is pretty clear i think..And there is NO WAY PL would drop Hoolahan, one of the best players last weekend and one of the most important in the team..We''re playing at home, a game that can be won..Will will play our own way and not adapt to the opposite side.

In my personal view I could drop Surman and have Bennett in instead, but don''t think its gonna happen.

In all, I don''t think PL will change the team...He was very pleased with the work mentality and guts, so benching some of the guys would seem harsh..

Time will tell.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

Strange how fans have different opinions to the men at the top. I watched Stoke train today and it was all about how to stop Hoolahan ( and Fox ). To match them up will require a really strange system as they will be playing 4 big guys at the back that automatically changes to 3 at the back when they have the ball. Jones will be a lone attacker but will have balls to his feet and will receive out wide. Their cunning plan is to hit our full backs with Huth Wilkinson Pennant and Etherington.

[/quote]Do you mind me asking where they were training? It''s unusual for a team to let people watch them train the day before a game. Can you explain a bit more about how Huth is going to cause any trouble whatsoever to our full backs? Are you saying that Stoke are going to play with a giant 6 foot 3 inch left back? That seems a bit odd to me, BUT, if true.... then I 100% want to see Elliott Bennett down that right hand side. It would be bizarre to see Huth playing there, considering they have James Collins, Danny Pugh, and Danny Higginbotham, who can all play left back. That makes me wonder whether either you got Huth mixed up with somebody else, or assumed that they had their XI on the pitch, or.... hate to say it.... whether you are telling the truth. That would be a bit like us playing Zak Whitbread at right back for the sake of it, with Martin or Naughton on the bench, just wouldn''t happen.

[quote user="Tore Raaen"]I''m guessing: Ruddy Martin, De laet, Barnett, Tierney Surman, Fox, Crofts, Hoolahan Morrison, Holt. I think PL was pleased with the 1st game, and I cant'' see that many chances..Barnett in for Whitbread is pretty clear i think..And there is NO WAY PL would drop Hoolahan, one of the best players last weekend and one of the most important in the team..We''re playing at home, a game that can be won..Will will play our own way and not adapt to the opposite side. In my personal view I could drop Surman and have Bennett in instead, but don''t think its gonna happen. In all, I don''t think PL will change the team...He was very pleased with the work mentality and guts, so benching some of the guys would seem harsh.. Time will tell.[/quote]

i think your personal view is shared my many and probably paul lambert himself, I was there last week and been very surprised to hear by people suggesting we deserved more then a draw, taking yellow tinted glasses of we certinley didnt and i was delighted we got a point.

biggest problem at wigan was lack of width we had no out lay, my biggest delimea is though how do you fit hoolhan pilkington and bennett in one team, as i wouldnt want to play one up top, cetinley not at home any way.

It amazes me that people want to play a more defensive formation at home !! And, what''s more, they want to drop our most creative player, the scorer of the only goal last week and probably our best performer. [^o)]

[quote user="Scooby"]It amazes me that people want to play a more defensive formation at home !! And, what''s more, they want to drop our most creative player, the scorer of the only goal last week and probably our best performer. [^o)][/quote]

Its a more defensive team to try cope with physical Stoke, either way i think people want us to attack but unless we really whip the ball about Hoolahan will be taken off the ball with ease at times.

I hope the support is great today because 1. The players need it and 2. Stoke fans aren''t going to be quiet.

Blimey I''ve found a thread about the Stoke game [:D]

That would be my team

Naughton Latte Barnett Tieney

Fox

Crofts Johnson

Hoolahan

Holt Morison

CMON YOU YELLOWS

Why cant you make the text bigger anymore, that ''''cmon you yellows'''' was in Size 5 and still comes out small ???

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

ruddy

martin  barnett de laet  rierney

fox

crofts                    bennett

hoolahan

holt                 jackson

?

its a hard one you either play the pass and move game (shown above) or you match stoke and go:

ruddy

martin       barnett       ayala      tierney

bennett   crofts   fox   johnson   pilkington

holt     morison

[/quote]

*fox/johnson....how embarrasing.

hope we go for the top one though

There really is no point in trying to match Stoke. We aren''t Stoke, we don''t play like Stoke, if we do that (which we won''t) we pretty much auto-lose unless Stoke have a really unlucky day.

If we play like we normally do, we have a much better chance of winning.

I expect to see pretty much the same team as last week, with either Barnett or Ayala in the team. But i wouldn''t be surprised by the system changing at half time if we really aren''t doing well.

My guess is that Ayala will partner De Laet because PL loves ball playing centre backs and sees this as key to possession football.

I think Holty and Morison will run the channels and the key will be who gets forward from midfield with late runs and this will be down to Crofty, Wes and Surs.

Finally, PL will want to start with a similar team to last week but apart from Barnett will pack his bench with forward options.

[quote user="LeJuge"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]

Do you mind me asking where they were training? It''s unusual for a team to let people watch them train the day before a game. Can you explain a bit more about how Huth is going to cause any trouble whatsoever to our full backs? Are you saying that Stoke are going to play with a giant 6 foot 3 inch left back?

That seems a bit odd to me, BUT, if true.... then I 100% want to see Elliott Bennett down that right hand side. It would be bizarre to see Huth playing there, considering they have James Collins, Danny Pugh, and Danny Higginbotham, who can all play left back. That makes me wonder whether either you got Huth mixed up with somebody else, or assumed that they had their XI on the pitch, or.... hate to say it.... whether you are telling the truth. That would be a bit like us playing Zak Whitbread at right back for the sake of it, with Martin or Naughton on the bench, just wouldn''t happen.
[/quote]

No right back.  

Looks like Norwich have gone 4-2-3-1Ruddy, Johnson, Crofts, Holt (C), Pilkington, C Martin, Bennett, Barnett, Tierney, De Laet, NaughtonSubs: Rudd, R Martin, Jackson, Surman, Hoolahan, Fox, Ayala.Big changes all round, Morison and Whitbread injured.

Wow, that''s not confusing with both of you having the same picture [;)]On the face of it, it does look like Lambert has bottled it a little bit - trying to match Stoke''s physical threat - but interesting to see us playing with two out and out wingers in the team. Just hope someone can set them up with Hoolahan or Fox in the team. I could understanding dropping one of them, but both of them seems like a brave choice.Time for Chrissy Martin to redeem himself.

Would not be surprised to see our goals (if any) coming from mid-field today, Johnson, Bennett and Pilkington will be ordered to shoot on sight.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Suppose he thinks Fox and Hoolahan are too lightweight to compete v Stoke. Although would have rather played our way.[/quote]

Exactly mate why try to play the stoke way? were not stoke we should have stuck to our normal formation! Without fox and hoolahan i can''t see us getting hold of the ball and keeping it. Were not going to out battle stoke, their the best at what they do!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Suppose he thinks Fox and Hoolahan are too lightweight to compete v Stoke. Although would have rather played our way.[/quote]

Exactly mate why try to play the stoke way? were not stoke we should have stuck to our normal formation! Without fox and hoolahan i can''t see us getting hold of the ball and keeping it. Were not going to out battle stoke, their the best at what they do!

[/quote]Does seem a lack of creativity in the team. I guess Lambert wanted wide players in to try and pin back Etherington and Pennant. Big surprise for me is Chris Martin, interesting to see if he plays just behind Holt or alongside him. If he''s playing as a striker what has he done to get ahead of Jackson? And if he''s playing behind Holt what has he done to get ahead of Hoolahan?

I think the idea of two out and out wingers is a good one. You could see Chelsea''s play out wide caused huge amount of problems for Stoke and as soon as they moved to a diamond formation for the last twenty they became narrow and Stoke began to push. The other thing that Chelsea played well was cross field balls and I think that''s we''re we may be lacking with Fox being out.

Chrissy Martin is going to have to play out of his skin I feel. OTBC.