Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

John Ruddy was top class....

Surprised to not see a thread dedicated to Ruddy today, if Bradley Johnson should get one then Ruddy should.The bloke made three or four quality saves, caught every cross, and had no chance with the goal. His kicking wasn''t perfect in the second half, but that''s a minor thing.After also having by all accounts played well at Wigan too, is it fair to say that some of his harshest critics on here should begin to start thinking about searching Google for humble pie recipes?On the basis of his first two performances this year I wouldn''t swap him for Forster, and for me he looked as commanding as Greeno did for us (where he played his best football).When you look at Al-Habsi going for £4m, it''s about time people woke up and realised that we have a great keeper, and the grass really isn''t any greener. Good keepers aren''t cheap, neither are they in abundance, I''ve been saying that he will come good and I suspect he is potentially a City legend in the making.When you look at the quality of keepers managing to get England caps in recent years, I wouldn''t rule him out of the reckoning. I wouldn''t take Scott Carson or Chris Kirkland over him, and is Ben Foster really any better?

OP, there is a thread about Ruddy a little further down the board - but he is so good, he deserves another thread anyway! First-class keeper, he is rising to the occasion that''s for sure.

Ruddy did do really well. Really good penalty save, also a load of great shot saves.

I do think Ruddy is a good goalie, yes he makes a mistake here and there, but doesn''t everyone? I think he has improved too. :)

Michaela.x

He was spot on yesterday, absolutely brilliant. I was sat watching the match with a couple of Liverpool fans and even though Ruddy used to play for their rivals, they could not praise him highly enough. If he keeps up performances like that I can see an England cap coming...

Ruddy really bought his A game + some !!The free kick save had most of us on our feet aplauding with murmers of "Top Drawer" and the like. Really think Ruddy played his best game in a Norwich shirt yesterday, he deserved the MoM because it could very easily have been 3-1 on the peno and free kick saves alone.If he keeps this up we could have some of the gimped goalkeeper teams like Arsenal sniffing in January !

Ruddy is a very good shot-stopper and always has been. The only thing I worry about with him is that sometimes is decision-making is a little bit suspect and he can drop the occasional clanger.

However - he''s still relatively young and as he gets more experienced, he''ll get matter at the mental aspect of his game. This is much easier to improve than any shot-stopping ability.

However well done Ruddy! Brilliant display today and definitely looked Premiership class

I am a so called "ruddy basher" but I have to admit he was quality yesterday! he stopped 3 certain goals with the pen and 2 shots that would have gone in. No keeper is that good every week so obviously he will make mistakes but as long as we get performances liked that reguarly I will be very happy and my previous veiws proved wrong.

I was rarely convinced by him last season, but, watching on a very shaky stream yesterday, I thought he was man of the match. The most important thing is that he seems to be growing in confidence - his interactions with the crowd suggest that he is a guy who feels comfortable in his surroundings. And, given that the keeper has to own the area, that''s really important. I think we sometimes underestimate how long it takes players to feel as if they belong - you get the sense that JR does think that now.

I always thought that Gunny gave the impression that he owned Carrow Road - a sort of poor man''s Schmeichel if you like. Greeno, for all his moments of genius, never quite had that aura. I would suggest that Ruddy isn''t as good as either of them, but he is beginning to have that sort of presence thatn Gunn had.

[quote user="canariesmr2"]

I am a so called "ruddy basher" but I have to admit he was quality yesterday! he stopped 3 certain goals with the pen and 2 shots that would have gone in. No keeper is that good every week so obviously he will make mistakes but as long as we get performances liked that reguarly I will be very happy and my previous veiws proved wrong.

[/quote]Great to be proven wrong isnt it :)Had this with Simeon Jackson myself last year

JR played very well indeed. It was great to see him in such fine form. He looked confident and assured, and I was never too nervous when Stoke put the ball into the danger zone; or at least I expected Ruddy to deal with all but the very best goalscoring chances.

Bloomin''eck. I thought I would never see the day when people started to praise Ruddy. He was outstanding last year and when people started saying he wasn''t good enough I got a little annoyed. You have to give him the chance and after the last 2 weeks I am pleased people have finally realised his potential!

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]Bloomin''eck. I thought I would never see the day when people started to praise Ruddy. He was outstanding last year and when people started saying he wasn''t good enough I got a little annoyed. You have to give him the chance and after the last 2 weeks I am pleased people have finally realised his potential![/quote]I myself wouldn''t have said that he was outstanding last year, but I do think that he was ''decent'' last year, and furthermore I saw him as a keeper that was continually improving. Even big Ruddy fans (and I am one of them) can admit that he started off very shakily, he came with big boots to fill, but I always thought that he would fill them. I think the problem started with that awful display against Everton in pre-season where his former team mates had to defend him..... he was trying too hard after that. I think that this is another Lambert success story, a less patient manager would have done something rash, Lambert stuck by him and gave him his full confidence. In the second half of the season I felt a lot more confident with Ruddy between the sticks, and was always telling people that Ruddy is still very young for a keeper. I think it''s full steam ahead from now on, to think that most keepers peak in their early thirties, he could be an absolute gem. Whereas Carson and Kirkland simply haven''t filled their potential (one had enough and went to Turkey, the other is second choice at Wigan), I suspect Ruddy is going to show everybody this year that he has always been under rated. I hadn''t even heard of him before we signed him.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I was rarely convinced by him last season, but, watching on a very shaky stream yesterday, I thought he was man of the match. The most important thing is that he seems to be growing in confidence - his interactions with the crowd suggest that he is a guy who feels comfortable in his surroundings. And, given that the keeper has to own the area, that''s really important. I think we sometimes underestimate how long it takes players to feel as if they belong - you get the sense that JR does think that now. I always thought that Gunny gave the impression that he owned Carrow Road - a sort of poor man''s Schmeichel if you like. Greeno, for all his moments of genius, never quite had that aura. I would suggest that Ruddy isn''t as good as either of them, but he is beginning to have that sort of presence thatn Gunn had.[/quote]

I think your right about the settling in thing, i think thats even more true for keepers. The Gunny point being a prime example, for the first years he was here he made lots of cockups to go with the good things he did, then he really steadied up the last few seasons becoming the big presence you talk about.

I''ve never been his biggest fan, and would''ve been delighted to see Forster come here this summer, as number 1.

But Ruddy has been brilliant so far. He looked solid against Wigan too.

I''m sure Ruddy mut have been aware of some of these doubts

Big boots to fill after Forster and I think many were more critical of hiom - waiting for the slightest mistake to have their doubts proven correct

So, it''s another season. The ''boy has done good'' so here''s a suggestion. Lets get behind him and let him know it at the next game (home and away) because I''ve got a feeling that he has the character to be a ''character''.

We''ve a definite fans favourite in Holty, lets give Ruddy (y) the same status