Sign in to follow this  
Mahogany

Time for sin bins?

We could spend weeks talking about how the quality of officiating at our games so far but I think it''s important to remember that refereeing is very difficult, especially when the game is quick and players are intentionally trying to con you.

It seems to me that the tools at the referees disposal are fairly blunt, foul, yellow and red. Passed just giving a foul you either get a warning or sent off. It seems to me that there should be some stopgaps between these. People have been saying that if Barnett had fouled the Stoke guy the ref would have no choice but to send him off for a professional foul, but surely a "professional foul" should require intent, at worst Barnett was clumsy, so how is it fair that he gets treated in the same way a someone who intentionally hacks down a player? Why not give the ref some more options and introduce sin bins, say 15 mins off for an accidental "professional foul". Or for a dive by a forward in the box give them 10 minutes instead of a yellow.

It works in other sports so why not try it in football?

Oh and also bring in automatic penalty goals for when defenders handball on the line.

As you say the ref''s job is already incredibly hard - making the rules more ambiguous will not help them. How do you tell if a trip happening maybe 30 - 40 yards ahead of you is an accident or intentional? By there being one rule for both incidents it stops players trying to pretend it was all an accident.

[quote user="Mahogany"]We could spend weeks talking about how the quality of officiating at our games so far but I think it''s important to remember that refereeing is very difficult, especially when the game is quick and players are intentionally trying to con you. It seems to me that the tools at the referees disposal are fairly blunt, foul, yellow and red. Passed just giving a foul you either get a warning or sent off. It seems to me that there should be some stopgaps between these. People have been saying that if Barnett had fouled the Stoke guy the ref would have no choice but to send him off for a professional foul, but surely a "professional foul" should require intent, at worst Barnett was clumsy, so how is it fair that he gets treated in the same way a someone who intentionally hacks down a player? Why not give the ref some more options and introduce sin bins, say 15 mins off for an accidental "professional foul". Or for a dive by a forward in the box give them 10 minutes instead of a yellow. It works in other sports so why not try it in football? Oh and also bring in automatic penalty goals for when defenders handball on the line.[/quote]

Sorry can''t agree. the last thing we want is yanky idea''s in the british game of football

[quote user="Mahogany"]We could spend weeks talking about how the quality of officiating at our games so far but I think it''s important to remember that refereeing is very difficult, especially when the game is quick and players are intentionally trying to con you.

It seems to me that the tools at the referees disposal are fairly blunt, foul, yellow and red. Passed just giving a foul you either get a warning or sent off. It seems to me that there should be some stopgaps between these. People have been saying that if Barnett had fouled the Stoke guy the ref would have no choice but to send him off for a professional foul, but surely a "professional foul" should require intent, at worst Barnett was clumsy, so how is it fair that he gets treated in the same way a someone who intentionally hacks down a player? Why not give the ref some more options and introduce sin bins, say 15 mins off for an accidental "professional foul". Or for a dive by a forward in the box give them 10 minutes instead of a yellow.

It works in other sports so why not try it in football?

Oh and also bring in automatic penalty goals for when defenders handball on the line.[/quote]"Accidental professional foul".  Brilliant.  Sounds reasonable to me.Hey, what about if you''re allowed to pick up and carry the ball, as long as it''s thrown backwards to you?Also, for those players who keep shooting into Row Z, what about if you can score points by kicking it over the bar, as long as it was roughly on target?

How many times would you be allowed to be sent to the sin bin in one game ?

what happens if you are in the sin bin and you ''play up'' a bit

would you then get sent to the stands like the manager ?

As long as it''s not called the ''Naughton Step''

my only fear with having something like that would be that building it might mean taking seats away from well known fans

perhaps a compromise might be that a few regulars near the dugouts could have thir seats for a cheaper price, then if any one is sent to the sin bin (naughty step) they would have to give up their seat

they could then sit on one of the ball boys stools while the player is in the sin bin

We could install a blackboard at the side of the pitch, and they have to write 100 lines before they are allowed back on the pitch?

No sin bins or we might end up with more guys like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_Bn4CVbYk

Davo

No Davo, hang on I think you and Gingerpele may have hit on something there.

How about...

when a player gets sent to the sin bin/naughty step we get Joey Barton and Lee Bowyer to taunt them?

Anyone have an actual reason why it''s a bad idea apart from Bethnal? Seems a bit self-defeating to write it off just because it''s used in an American sport (which is more popular in Canada than the US anyways).

As for the ambiguity question we already expect the ref to make a call as to whether actions are intentional in some cases, e.g handball, backpass, so would it really be that hard?

I''ve thought for a long time that certain incidents deserve this punishment. Remember the Pompey away game last season. Jackson turned Mokeoner (sp.) inside out on the halfway line. Mokeoner, knowing there was no chance of him catching Simeon just chopped him down. Not a red card offence but worth more than a yellow in my book. If for the sheer frustration it causes if nothing else. I think they should be used as a half way house so you''d only sit in there once in a game cos it''ll be worth more than a yellow in theory.

In all seriousness it''s simplification we need not complication and more choices which will result in inconsistencies.

Simplification would be for example:-

Dissent: One word and you are off, simple and uncomplicated. (Respect Campaign being toothless when any player comes up to argue with an official, that is the captains job).

Corner/Free Kick: Players holding others, straight foul. It is endemic and officials are so inconsistent in applying. Simple.

Apply the regs that we have now and every time and players will soon start focussing on their ball skills and less on their diving, mugging the ref and professional fouls.

Having said all of that I am wholly in favour of use of TV Replay being brought in for use by ref and fourth official.

I''ve developed my idea further, i think we should create a list of dirty footballers/ex footballers, and make them all become referees, i''ll start:

Joey Barton

Roy Keane

Ryan Shawcross

(There are lots lots more, but i''ll give you all the chance to add to the list :P)

On a more serious note, i don''t think Sin bins are a good idea, they just seem like a waste of time really, they won''t be a deterrent, it will just take players of the pitch, which will ruin the flow of the game.