Sign in to follow this  
newyorkcanary

Formation Vs. Chelsea?

Lambert showed vs. Stoke we are not hard-wired to only play the Diamond. Do you think he will go back to a 4-4-2 versus Chelsea or was that more due to Stoke''s size? Can our smaller Midfielders (Hoops/Fox) control the midfield at The Bridge or will it be Diamond vs. Dons and back to 4-4-2 vs. Chelsea?

Our formation will be interesting as it will give us a clue how Lambert will approach the bigger clubs.To diamond or not to diamond that is the question.My prediction would be to pick up were we left of last game ( prior to the sending off ) With hopefully Morrison replacing martin to give us more of a chance scoring when Pilks & Bennet do manage to get a cross in or we attack our set plays. Stoke held Chelsea for a point so it makes sense to come out with a similar formation to our last game.

Interesting (but not to Nexus_Canary) that Chelsea have just agreed to sign winger Juan Mata which would give them some extra width with Malouda on the other side.

It''s a good time to play Chelsea as they haven''t found their feet under the new boss. West Brom showed that they are beatable if you take your chances and if I picked the team I would play with Bennett and Pilkinton wide, looking to get plenty of crosses in for Holt and Morison. No doubt Sir Paul has different plans.

I''d hope we''d only play 1 up front against Chelsea, something like a 4-2-3-1 or 4--3--2--1 with Fox or Hoolahan coming in for Martin

Ruddy    Naughton   DeLaet   Barnett   Tierney

Bennett      Croft      Johnson     Pilkington                         Hoolihan                                                    Holt   

"But we don''t play with one striker.

And defending against Chelsea, won''t work. Were not Stoke."exactly we will get hammered we need to match them and play attacking football, we need to get them on the back foot. If we just sit back and defend we will lose....

Wow, it was going to be one of two options wasn''t it. And it will be one of those two options against Chelsea, your not the manager, so don''t pretend you know how were going to play.

That is not a negative formation and is exactly what I would play. Playing 1 up front might be negative if the midfielders behind are Smith, Fox, Crofts, Johnson and Surman but thats not the case with that line up, Hoolahan, Pilks and Bennett are all attacking players who will get forward and attack. What it does mean however is that we will have an extra man in midfield which we may well need at times against Chelsea.

Well i am sorry, you are obviously much better than all of us, and anyone who questions your opinion/facts should be shot on the spot.

Anyone who watched the Stoke/Chelsea game or has watched Stoke at all, could say what you said. Its not some exclusive theory that you came up with you know.

Yes well done on guessing what was going to be done, but unless your Paul Lambert posting on here, you seriously don''t know how were going to play on Saturday.

I''m not saying i am right, but i can see us trying to really attack against Chelsea, because odds are were going to lose anyway, so might as well lose 4-2 rather than 4-0. Basically, if we play a less attacking formation, that extra defensive power will count for very little, it will be harder for us to hold the ball up upfront, and have less numbers attacking/more defensive players attacking, both of which bring huge disadvantages against a side like Chelsea, who despite two average games are still a very strong side, will probably have Mata in the starting line up on Saturday adding extra width and pace to their team, something that has been lacking for them recently (also meaning they don''t have to play that waste of space Kalou). I honestly think, that if we go out and play like we have done the past two games, pressing lots and building up attacks, we will be better off because we will have the ball, in the Chelsea half, they can''t score when we have the ball in their half can we. And we have a better chance of scoring if we have Pilkington and Bennett running down the wing, and crossing balls in for Morrison and Holt don''t we...

Ruddy

Naughton    Barnett/Ayala   De Laet   Tierney

Bennett      Crofts      Johnson        Pilkington

Holt        Morison 

or

Ruddy 

Naughton    Barnett/Ayala   De Laet   Tierney

Bennett      Crofts       Johnson         Pilkington

Hoolahan/C.Martin

Holt

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]GP, you need to read Jim Smith''s post. 4-5-1 isn''t necessarily less attacking than 4-4-2. It depends who the players are.[/quote]exactly, just because we play one up front doesnt mean we wont play attacking football! Holt is up there with Nolan at holding the ball up and bringing midfield players into the game. you cant expect Lambert to match chelsea and go like for like it would be suicide!

[quote user="Crispy"]Our formation will be interesting as it will give us a clue how Lambert will approach the bigger clubs.To diamond or not to diamond that is the question.My prediction would be to pick up were we left of last game ( prior to the sending off ) With hopefully Morrison replacing martin to give us more of a chance scoring when Pilks & Bennet do manage to get a cross in or we attack our set plays. Stoke held Chelsea for a point so it makes sense to come out with a similar formation to our last game.[/quote]

Is there any news on Morison? Not heard whether he will be back, possibly on bench tonight?!

[quote user="Ben "]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Chill out? Lol, i don''t actually get angry over posts on a football forum you know.....[/quote]

Seems like you do.

[/quote]

Well not really.....

That wasn''t even a particularly aggressive/angry post, no idea why you think you know what mood i am in, based on an emotionless post on a football forum....

Now, if i had put lots of angry faces after my post, then yes you could tell me to chill out, but i didn''t and i think i know what mood i''m in better than you do....

is this too defensive?

Ruddy

R Martin  Ayala  De Laet  Drury

Naugton         Fox           Tierney

Crofts         Johnson

Holt

clearly i''m kidding as i don''t think sitting back will help particularly...!  important thing is for the team not to be mesmerised by the so called superstars of football they are playing against, remember its 11 men vs 11 men (ref allowing!) and give it their best shot

I don''t think we need to worry about what is defensive and what isn''t- we are about to play one of the best teams in world football so we need to match sure we don''t do a Blackpool as this stage last year and get hammered. Yes we need to not sit back, but also we need to get on top of them in midfield and try and retain the ball when we do get possession. Not an easy job for Lambert, but being realistic the West Brom game is a much bigger game than this one.

I think we should play the following team:

Ruddy

Naughton. Whitbread. Da Laet. Tierney

Crofts. Fox. Johnson

Bennett. Pilkington

Morrison

so you would drop our captain and talisman for the sake of playing fox? fox is a ball player, we arnt going to be seeing much of the ball at the bridge for him to play with. You play fox either at home or against the weaker teams away. Sunderland and Liverpool were the only team to beat them at their place last year.