Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Let's discuss Grant Holt

don''t get me wrong, i love grant Holt as he has done a lot for us, but i feel that Morison is better, he plays like Holt but he is taller and faster so ultimately he is better.

after seeing today performance from c.martin i feel we should try Morison and c.martin upfront against Chelsea, and i feel that should be the only change to the line up, and of course Barnett being replaced by the impressive Ayala.

Three pages so far Mr. C and your fishing expedition has certainly caught numerous posters who do not understand your tongue in cheek humour.As they say...and some fell on stoney ground.[;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Three pages so far Mr. C[/quote]

Guess because he scored so many goals last season and is ''''God'''' status that we''re not allowed to critisise him, Tilly .

Does anyone honestly think that he will score enough goals this season to help keep us in the Premiership  ?

I still think we need a proven Premiership striker to give him competition.

I actually think C Martin had no worse of a game than Holt today. Holty tried hard but looked a little slow and cumbersome at times. This may of been because he wasn''t dominating the air as usual. C Martin strangely won more in the air, but neither of them really got a decent chance to shoot today which was annoying,

That being said, Holt wasn''t poor and I''d have him starting against Chelsea no doubt!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Three pages so far Mr. C and your fishing expedition has certainly caught numerous posters who do not understand your tongue in cheek humour.As they say...and some fell on stoney ground.[;)][/quote]

Don''t thinking people really care if the OP was doing this for a joke its a topic worth discussing and it started a discussion on a forum! [:O]

Has Holt had a shot in the Premier League?

Holt is definately not a Premiership player - how can any club expect to make the sort of money needed to survive in the premiership by selling shirts with Holt 9. (at £1.50 per letter and £5 per number that''s only £11 per shirt.)

Surely we need to splash out on a new goal scoring centre forward with at least 10 letters in his name and also give him a double digit number. - then and only then will we look like a good premier team.[;)]

He''s a big lad.....and he''s ours.....

Woodgate knew he was in a game today.....Grant shew him!

Anyway, MOTD is on now.....let''s see wot bollinks the say about us....

Just watching Match of the day and its funny how Martin gets slated so much yet he is a big part in the build up to nearly every single one of our attacks. Just saying.

I think I''m correct in thinking that when Holt does score this season that it will mean that he has scored in each of the four divisions in the past four years?2008/09 League Two - Shrewsbury2009/10 League One - Norwich2010/11 Championship - Norwich2011/12 Premiership - NorwichHere''s hoping for a John Terry scythe in our next match to give him a penalty opportunity to get off the mark.

He needs time to sharpen up, i don''t think there''s any doubt about that. I remember when he got a red in our L1 campaign and he missed three games. When he came back he was really rusty and people started to question him even then. But once he got in to his stride again after 3 or 4 games he was back to his best.

I think he needs to keep playing regularly or he looses his sharpness so it''s a bit inevitable that he won''t be up to speed at the start of a new season.

It''s also noticeable that during his ''warm up'' games when he''s not quite on it he tends to try and make uo for it by being an even bigger pain in the opposition''s (and the refs) a*se than usual!

Grant Holt is a great player for us but having been to both the first games I do feel his first touch is letting him down as is his speed, obviously never were his greatest assets but they are extremely evident at this level.With the beautiful crosses coming in from Bennet & Pilkington I really feel maybe Morrison would have nicked us another goal and over the season may prove more suited to the prem than Holt.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]he''s not a centre forward. [/quote]

After 9,800 posts I thought you might have learned something. Holt not a centre forward?

Do me a favour.

[/quote]

Probably should have explained myself a bit more.

Watch a striker like Bent, he is in the box a lot more than Holt. About 95% of Holts performance is out wide, or holding the ball up/link up play/winning fouls outside the box. Surely a typical centre forward spends a lot more time in the box, than they do on the wing? He''s definatly a striker, but unless i''m getting my terms mixed up (Which wouldn''t be hard, different people use different terms etc anyway) i really don''t think Holt is an out and out Centre forward...

And also, what have posts on an internet forum got to do with ''learning'' anything? This is a forum, most of which is full of opinion, opinion is a personal thing, not something you learn from someone else.

He''s what I would call an old-fashioned centre-forward, as opposed to some of these lightweights you see in some teams nowadays.

Holt is worth his place in the side as a result of his hold up play. I fear he may find goals much harder to come by though. This means others will have to step up to the mark around him. We need his physical presence and there is noone out there at a price we could afford that could provide an alternative. he is also a qick learner and simular comments were being said about his ability to make a mark on the championship in the early days of last season

[quote user="J.Warman"]don''t get me wrong, i love grant Holt as he has done a lot for us, but i feel that Morison is better, he plays like Holt but he is taller and faster so ultimately he is better. after seeing today performance from c.martin i feel we should try Morison and c.martin upfront against Chelsea, and i feel that should be the only change to the line up, and of course Barnett being replaced by the impressive Ayala.[/quote]

On Holt, sadly I agree, I love the guy, but in this league pace is vital, but we must keep Grant at City at all costs.

I said before the Wigan game that Grnt Holt''s contribution this season would not be measured purely in goals and I stand by that today. He will have had an amazing season if he gets anywhere near double figures in terms of goals scored but provided he is leading the line well by bringing others into the game and winning us cheap free kicks then he is doing his job. He had a decent game yesterday, in a physical battle that he would have been absolutely relishing, and the only real disappointment for him would have been that with two wingers on the pitch we didn''t get enough decent delivery into the box to create a goalscoring chance.

He only really got 60 mins in the Stoke match, folks - It would be very intresting to see if we''d be having this conversation had the game ended 11 v 11.... ;)

Our captain is a colossus for us, and I always feel so much more confident when I see his name in the line up. Overall I think he''s played excellently for us so far, and it won''t be long before this thread is forgotten about. But for a great save from the Wigan keeper he could have scored with a header on the opening day. Regarding this coming weekend, I do have a feeling he''s going to get the better of John Terry, and get that all important goal that will shut 1 or 2 up (and it is literally 1 or 2 ;)). I think we should remember that dinky Shane Long had no problem outmuscling the other Chelsea central defender Alex this weekend - So, therefore I see no reason why Holty can''t give those two a torrid time come 3pm Saturday... And I firmly believe he will.

I agree with Shack Attack and Alex. Holt didn''t have any shots on goal yesterday but was instrumental in creating some mayhem in the Stoke defence. Their experienced and tough defenders still struggled to deal with him and he won a lot of 50.50 balls by just harrying and intimidating them. Without him balls would just have been pinging back off their centre backs and it would have put us under a lot more pressure. He also won a  number of free kicks which we can continue to epxloit with the other big men getting forawrd. In a more high tempo game he might struggle, but prem defences won''t like to play against him much.

What Holt brings to our team is irreplaceable. He''s our talisman, our leader and the one guy who''ll run himself literally to the ground for the club (remember Watford away last season? playing through an injury and collapsing after the game).

Grant Holt <3

as a total outsider, and not having a dog in this fight, i`ll give you my thoughts if i may. i obviously, haven`t seen as much of him as you boys and girls on here, but he looks an `old fashioned` player, a bit like andy carroll. a biggish, bustling forward, not the quickest, but does a job. i think he`s an "ok" player nothing more, his attempts to gain fouls may well work against him though, and he won`t score if he`s sat in the stand following numerous yellow cards. many of the defences in this league are not only bigger and stronger than anything he`ll have played against before, they`re quicker and far more skillful, and far better equipped to deal with his style of play. i don`t think he`ll get into double figures goal-wise, somewhere around 8 at a guess.

in summary, i don`t rate him particularly highly, and whilst it`s true he may be a slow starter, i think he`ll struggle against the majority of prem. defences.

this is what i would call a ''trying to be a clever dick'' post, which you often see on message boards.

people think if that they formulate a view which opposes the general consensus then, if they get lucky and are proved right, then can they bring it up again and say "oooh, look how clever i was in spotting this so early". 

surprised there aren''t more clever dicks posting things like "is Lambert good enough?" or "it''s only a matter of time before Lambert moves to a bigger club".  the writers don''t necessarily believe what they are saying but think they can score some meaningless points against other posters by being the first person to say it... how dull

[quote user="exiled blue"]as a total outsider, and not having a dog in this fight, i`ll give you my thoughts if i may. i obviously, haven`t seen as much of him as you boys and girls on here, but he looks an `old fashioned` player, a bit like andy carroll. a biggish, bustling forward, not the quickest, but does a job. i think he`s an "ok" player nothing more, his attempts to gain fouls may well work against him though, and he won`t score if he`s sat in the stand following numerous yellow cards. many of the defences in this league are not only bigger and stronger than anything he`ll have played against before, they`re quicker and far more skillful, and far better equipped to deal with his style of play. i don`t think he`ll get into double figures goal-wise, somewhere around 8 at a guess. in summary, i don`t rate him particularly highly, and whilst it`s true he may be a slow starter, i think he`ll struggle against the majority of prem. defences.[/quote]

So he''s ''a bit like'' a £35 Million Pound Striker? 

"So he''s ''a bit like'' a £35 Million Pound Striker? "

lol!

yes!! but are seriously telling me that you think andy carroll was worth 35m?!!?... 3 and a half million, maybe!.

Tonight gives damning evidence as to how important Grant Holt is to this side, without him we are toothless up front. When he''s fit for a league game, then he plays. If anyone thinks any different, then they should wake up and face facts.