Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Let's discuss Grant Holt

I know we''ve had a good result today against an established Premiership team so it seems harsh to cast doubt on anyone''s

peformance plus I know that Holt was immense for us last season, we love

him to bits and he''s scored some great goals in the past.

I also appreciate that he works hard, puts himself about and holds

the ball up well but ................ either he''s still not fit so

should he be playing or maybe he''s going to find goals hard to come by

in this league. Also I dont understand why he spends so much time on the

wings when he should be in the box?????

I know he did great for us last season but this league is a whole

different ball game for him so do you think he''ll cut it in the Premiership or do you think like me that we need to get an experienced Premiership striker in on loan to give him competition or play instead

of him with Martin or Jackson if he isnt cutting the mustard?

Whats your  thoughts?

Did u not watch the game today Mr.Chops? One of our stand out players, his hold up play was immense and gave Stoke defense a rough time.

Quit making bullsh*t threads!!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]That''s our captain you''re talking about, Herman.[/quote]

Haha,sorry.It was aimed at Chops'' post[:$][:D]

[quote user="Making Plans"]Yawn, didn''t we have a similar discussion at the start of last season.[/quote]

I seem to recall it was rather similarly worded...

Hard as it may be Holt offers nothing at this level , if we did turn down big money from Leicester we were crazy.

[quote user="Unhinged Wizard"]If Cody was playing Barnett wouldn''t have got sent off.........Fact.[/quote]If we hadn''t have been ''Stoked'' in injury time, this thread wouldn''t exist........Fact.

180 minutes of Premier League football and youve wrote him off, What a joke.

Didnt he start slowly last season, leading to ''is Grant Holt good enough for the Championship?'' Before going on to be the second top scorer in the Division?

He work very hard but today he look so much tired and hardly stay on his legs last 15 minutes.

He look fundamental but hardly will score goals and never seen him so much tiredy like today.

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Didnt he start slowly last season, leading to ''is Grant Holt good enough for the Championship?'' Before going on to be the second top scorer in the Division?

[/quote]

I chose my words very carefully so as not to knock him but honestly just wanted to know people''s thoughts as to

1) Do you think he''ll cut it in the Premiership and score a decent amount of goals for a Premiership striker  

2) Should he spend so much time on the wings when he should be in the box more.

3) Do we need another striker at the club in the same mould as Holt

but with proven Premiership experience, just in case he struggles, or

is injured ??

Seeem fair enough questions to me.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="CDMullins"]

[/quote]

I chose my words very carefully so as not to knock him but honestly just wanted to know people''s thoughts as to

1) Do you think he''ll cut it in the Premiership and score a decent amount of goals for a Premiership striker  

3) Do we need another striker at the club in the same mould as Holt but with proven Premiership experience, just in case he struggles, or is injured ??

Seeem fair enough questions to me.

[/quote]

Nobody thought he would ''cut it'' last year in the Championship, its hardly worth debating after 180 minutes.

Im not too sure what your point is here, he often runs into the channels dragging a defender with him and making space for others, is that a negative?

3) Do we need another striker at the club in the same mould as Holt but with proven Premiership experience, just in case he struggles, or is injured ??

Steve Morison, Ok no Premiership experience, but he''s as strong and has the same pressence Holt as. He will be very good IMO - We have to prepare for the fact we might go down, and we need the players we go down with to come back up. Who would you suggest we signed, Heskey? Carew?

Holt doesn''t play in the box, he''s not a centre forward.

His job is to win fouls, hold the ball up and chase around, and also join in link up play. All of which he did today.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]he''s not a centre forward. [/quote]

After 9,800 posts I thought you might have learned something. Holt not a centre forward?

Do me a favour.

Holt was immense i felt today, the only negative was he tried to conn the ref too many times, but thats all part and parcel of the game these days. So He quite rightly should be. We were missing some one able to create somthing today, Wes, but i dont know how he would have fitted in today, and had we played the diamond we proberly would have lost.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]he''s not a centre forward. [/quote]

After 9,800 posts I thought you might have learned something. Holt not a centre forward?

Do me a favour.

[/quote]

Agreed, he is the most obvious ''Centre Forward'', I have ever seen.

Best player on the pitch today, just because he isn''t scoring goals, doesn''t mean he isn''t playing well.

I thought Holt looked really poor against Wigan last week but put in a good shift today against Stoke, a game we really needed him to be on form and he was. Don''t be surprised to see Lambert rotate his strikers around far more this season than he has previously, certain games suit different players much better so I don''t see Holt as a guaranteed starter for every game like what some people believe.

Just been having this conversation with the wife actually:I see Holt as a Heskey type in this league.I want him in the team for the hassle he causes but he needs a real striker to feed- and I don''t think we have one (don''t say Jackson- not in the prem... lets face it for 90% of last season not in the Champ either)I don''t have a suggestion of who that player should be (Shane Long would have been great or an Earnshaw/Defoe type of player is what we need)In all honesty I see Morrison and Chris Martin as other players who could do the Holt role in this partnership but feel we will lack goals from upfront this season without a lethal finisher- I only hope that Morrison turns out to be that, although I thought he was magnificent against Wigan and is a great addition to the team, he didn''t strike me as the player I feel is missing)It''s not that Holt won''t cut it in this league IMO but that he wont be able to do his natural role AND get a lot of goals against prem sides like he did in the lower leagues- I wouldn''t want to loose what he does so well from the side though and I think he will get 8 or 9 goals.

To be fair this happened at the start of last season but it was justified, hopefully the same happens as last season and he scores goals but like last season he done well but thought his touch looked pretty poor today but after a few games i''m sure he''ll be back to normal.

Thoughts on Chrissy Martin then?

I thought when this cropped us last season and he proved everybody wrong we would have heard the last of it! Unbelievable!