Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

We CAN beat Chelsea!

Watching Chelsea against West Brom last night I wasn''t impressed at all. They don''t have that spark from 2 or 3 seasons ago and are quite predictable in their sideways passings from midfield - If we are on top of our game we can exploit that and get a result - no question - they maybe a ''top 4 side'', but I strongly have my doubts about them. Today we stood up to the ''test'', the game was drawn but we spent 30 mins plus very dubious extra time with ten men and could have easily have got the 3 points. Bennett is an inspired signing.for sure.

Let''s go for the jugular folks! I know the Chelsea game is winnable, and you will also know that if you watched the Chelsea/West Brom match last night ;). OTBC

I was amazed how much time West Brom had to clear the ball, and how isolated Chelsea''s centre backs were.  Any team breaking with pace will be a threat provided they can keep a clean sheet.  Chelsea looked better in the last 30 minutes though, Torres was anonymous again but won''t be forever - traditionally we''re the team that players "come good" against and I worry he might get a couple to kickstart his season.

hopefully Mata won''t be all signed, sealed and delivered before saturday. He is the flair player they are clearly lacking from kickstarting their season in league winners style.

Chelsea have been settling in under a new manager.

I expect them to be better against us and I anticipate they will beat us; however, I do believe we can give them a game this time and come out of it with credit. The key will be in not conceeding early, or hopefully first half, goals.

What does for sides in the PL is going into freefall and even if we lose against Chelsea we have a potential comeback win against West Brom - although by then they might be desperate for points and harder to play. That said, I believe PL has the options and mentality to avoid the string of defeats - the key thing is: do we have the spark to get the 8 - 9 wins?

I have to say i agree we can beat Chelsea, ok it''s not likely and the odds will be stacked against us but there will be some shock results this season, as there is every season. The teams expected to be in the bottom half of the table dont always lose every game they play against the big 4 or 5.

[quote user="Mrs Tierney"]hopefully Mata won''t be all signed, sealed and delivered before saturday. He is the flair player they are clearly lacking from kickstarting their season in league winners style.[/quote]

Think you''re going to be in for a disappointment then, and I agree I think he is exactly what they need to really push on. Oh, as well as a striker who will score.

Mata will be available for Saturday, a fee agreed, personal terms have probably already been agreed as well even if reported otherwise (they have probably spoken to him to find out how much he wants, and he will want a move to Chelsea, to go through as quickly as possible) It will probably be wrapped up tomorrow, if not Tuesday.

Chelsea, have an ageing squad, not many of there youngster seem to be making an impression, so players like Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Anelka all 2/3+ years over 30 are still vital players in there team, despite not being what they were 2/3 seasons ago. And then Essien was key, and he''s injured. Hilario isn''t a wonderful keeper. Torres hasn''t hit form yet, Kalou is rubbish, Malouda is very hit and miss and bar Mata who will undoubtably be playing next weekend, they lack any other real attacking quality. They are still a very strong side, but i think its harder for them to get results than it used to be, and the new manager may be struggling to get the players to work to the system he had in place at Porto.

Very good assessment there, GP. Malouda/Kalou aren''t highly rated by the Stamford Bridge faithfull - and I can see why. As long as we don''t have that tosser of a ref we had yesterday, I feel this game might just be there for the taking - They are not what they were (so far).

Malouda is a quality player who has been badly used in the past. He''s a winger and for most of the time he has been at Chelsea they have favoured 3 in the middle. He flourished under Hiddink though and i have a feeling AVB may be more open to wingers too (note latest signing).No, their biggest single problem is their dressing room and the sheer number and size of egos that the manager has to deal with. Mourinho is partly responsible for this because of the way he massaged, encouraged and almost cultivated those egos. That seems to be part of his management style because he has the ability to not only make them feel they are invincible but to somehow get them all to get on in the dressing room at the same time. Probably because they''re all to busy fauning over him to argue with themselves. When he left, it all fell apart and the egos clashed, hence it was almost impossible to control them, whoever the managers have been post Mourinho. They should have shifted them all out but of course they can''t do that because they''re all on insane contracts and would rather just stay put even if they''re not playing. There are still tensions in that dressing room and it shows on the pitch. The new manager has to deal with that and i think he might manage it. So in that sense it''s good we are getting them early because it''s probably still a work in progress!

[quote user="Alex "]Very good assessment there, GP. Malouda/Kalou aren''t highly rated by the Stamford Bridge faithfull - and I can see why. As long as we don''t have that tosser of a ref we had yesterday, I feel this game might just be there for the taking - They are not what they were (so far).[/quote]

I think saying the game is "there for the taking" is perhaps a bit over the top. Yes they are not in top form but they are still title contenders and are playing at home. It is very, very unlikely that we will get any points out of this game.

Having said that no reason for us to go there and be anything other than positive. if anything there is much less pressure on us on saturday than there has been for the last two weeks as it is not the results in games against the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man City. Liverpool and Arsenal away which will define our season. Anything we get is a bonus so we should really go there and give it a real crack.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Alex "]Very good assessment there, GP. Malouda/Kalou aren''t highly rated by the Stamford Bridge faithfull - and I can see why. As long as we don''t have that tosser of a ref we had yesterday, I feel this game might just be there for the taking - They are not what they were (so far).[/quote] I think saying the game is "there for the taking" is perhaps a bit over the top. Yes they are not in top form but they are still title contenders and are playing at home. It is very, very unlikely that we will get any points out of this game. Having said that no reason for us to go there and be anything other than positive. if anything there is much less pressure on us on saturday than there has been for the last two weeks as it is not the results in games against the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man City. Liverpool and Arsenal away which will define our season. Anything we get is a bonus so we should really go there and give it a real crack.[/quote]

Yes, they''re not the team they were and I hope we don''t give them too much respect.  A point would be a real result for us, and a win would be quite an upset - of exactly the sort that Blackpool, Wolves etc managed a few times last year.  If we go in with a "nothing to lose" approach, we have a chance.

Oh, sure it''s possible for us to win.

But Torres is starting to hit form, and Mata seems likely to start. Make no mistake, right now I''d take a 2-0 defeat.

Defeat is fine, but you want to play fairly well and definitely don''t want to come out of it demoralised.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Sorry, don''t want to sound pessimistic...but we are not going to beat Chelsea.[/quote]

Unless we wise up aand cheat like them.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Sorry, don''t want to sound pessimistic...but we are not going to beat Chelsea.[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re actually an idiot arent you?

[quote user="InLambertWeTrust"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

You''re actually an idiot arent you?

[/quote]

Really? ever seen Chelski play you naive tw*t! [:|]

Yeah because Grant Holt NEVER backs into opponents looking for fouls or goes down very easily at times does he??

Don''t get me wrong, I f*cking love Grant Holt but to accuse others of cheating is a bit rich!

We have to go into EVERY game this season believing that a win is possible. Agreed, Chelsea will probably win on Saturday, and provided we play well and give them a tough match I don''t see that as a problem. However, they did lose 9 times last season, which is nearly a quarter of their league matches, so it shows that they can be beaten.One thing is certain though - if you go into games like this playing for a draw, then a draw is the most you are ever going to get.

[quote user="Power Hamster"]We have to go into EVERY game this season believing that a win is possible. Agreed, Chelsea will probably win on Saturday, and provided we play well and give them a tough match I don''t see that as a problem. However, they did lose 9 times last season, which is nearly a quarter of their league matches, so it shows that they can be beaten.One thing is certain though - if you go into games like this playing for a draw, then a draw is the most you are ever going to get. [/quote]

Well said PH. I wouldn''t have started this thread had it have been Man City/Utd as I believe they''ll be even sterner opposition this season (though that wouldn''t stop me having total faith in the team to get a result). I see Chelsea have signed Mata now, and I suspect they''ll be making a few changes to the side that sneaked the win against West Brom, but that said, I have total faith in the team this Saturday and won''t be making any knee jerk judgements on the back of an uncharacteristic performance in the cup.

OTBC - Go prove some folks wrong ; )

Good thread to follow from the Chelsea fans perspective - Some think they''ll stuff us, but certainly not all share that confidence...

http://forums.cfcnet.co.uk/index.php/topic/52785-live-match-thread-chelsea-v-norwich-city/

14/1 for us to win, who here is gonna back us, im thinking of making a few quid on this game!