Sign in to follow this  
CantonsHero

Relegation Mini-League

What you don''t understand CH is that for some of us, seeing a thread titled ''relegation mini-league'' is actually very irritating.

You are entitled to your opinion and doing your statistics, but I''m sorry, for me the idea that only 12 clubs are in the league is misplaced, statistics or no statistics.

20 club, 38 matches, of equal importance at least until the last few weeks of the season.

I''m not going to defend this anymore. I will continue to do it each week until the end of the season.

I will still go to as many games as I can against all the teams in the league until the end of the season.

But I am being realistic; for a newly promoted team, survival is the aim and these are the teams we are competing against for that. Hence the mini-league.

I apologise if you find it irritating, but things like this allows positions to be interpreted; they allow us to make conclusions about the starts teams have made relative to expectations and to others.

But, from this moment on, either of you posting inside this thread will be considered trolling, because that''s all this is. Keep this thread for those of us who find this relevant, because I''m not going to change your opinion, and vice versa for yours.

No need to apologise, you''re entitled to your opinion - it''s only because it keeps popping up week after week that it becomes irksome.

You or I agree or disagree with something then we move on. That''s the nature of the board.

With this thread, which I think is counter productive (except maybe for statisticians) it keeps on appearing week after week - hence repeated comments are inevitable.

"I now think that we''re going to be mid-table; I really do"

so you don''t even believe in your own nonsense now

dearie me

CantonsHero,

You''ve had nearly 100 replies and 9000 views so you must be doing something right [:)]

CA

"CantonsHero, You''ve had nearly 100 replies and 9000 views so you must be doing something right"

Yes, that is true, but around 40 of those posts were by Canton''s Hero himself, around 25 are posts arguing against the mini league idea, leaving around 30 actual posts in support. (now there''s some statistics!)

So a fairly balanced thread I think!

No cause for complaints or accusations of trolling!

Well he''s not doing any harm is he and if people aren''t interested they can just ignore the thread.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Why should I ignore something I fundamentally don''t agree with? Something I think creates a smaller view about what our season is about? Am I not allowed an opinion?[/quote]

Yes of course you''re entitled to an opinion and you''ve made your point, that you think he''s wasting his time and that you''re not interested in his thread.

But has said he wants to continue with it and thats his choice.

I won''t comment on this post again.

However, I would therefore question what is the point in having a thread that keeps reappearing and not being able to criticise the principles and ethos behind it? It''s supposed to be a forum where people discuss things.

Perhaps a thread like this ought to have it''s own sub-forum, then people who disagree with it don''t have to go there.

If statistics are your bag then good luck, but don''t expect everyone to go agree with you................

[quote user="lake district canary"]I won''t comment on this post again. However, I would therefore question what is the point in having a thread that keeps reappearing and not being able to criticise the principles and ethos behind it? It''s supposed to be a forum where people discuss things. Perhaps a thread like this ought to have it''s own sub-forum, then people who disagree with it don''t have to go there. If statistics are your bag then good luck, but don''t expect everyone to go agree with you................[/quote]

For goodness sake chill out, brother. It''s a little bit of fun for a handful of guys that causes no harm and no offense. If you don''t like it you''re well aware of the thread title so you can just skip over it if it is of no interest to you.    You''re not the forum police telling people what they can or cannot post and this little thread will have no effect whatsoever on the way the team performs.

Complaining about this thread is like sneering at a harmless bunch of train-spotters huddled around the end of the platform, simply because your train arrived late.

"You''re not the forum police telling people what they can or cannot post"

but it appears you are

[quote user="lake district canary"]However, I would therefore question what is the point in having a thread that keeps reappearing and not being able to criticise the principles and ethos behind it? [/quote]

But you have criticised the principles & ethos behind it several times.

Therefore I don''t see what your problem is - unless of course you just want to criticise it everytime somebody else makes a post.

If so, there''s no point really, those of us who are interested in the thread and we know exactly where you stand on the subject. 

[quote user="City1st"]"You''re not the forum police telling people what they can or cannot post" but it appears you are[/quote]

I am the supporting the right of the OP to make a post, something which you, oddly, seem to have a problem about.

well done

keeping up a forum tradition of making up something and replying to that instead

I have not claimed that the OP does not have a right to post

merely challenged the posts worth and refuted the idiotic claims contained within it

CH, some people are obviously lacking the necessary intelligence, education and grasp of reality to understand a basic analysis of figures or are trolling in an agressive manner so just carry on and ignore them.

It''s the thread title that annoys me more than the actual thread.As soon as we came up all the ''experts'' and pundits said we would be relegated straight away,without having watched us,and not knowing what our management team is like.And then when one of our own starts a thread like this it gets my hackles up,and obviously a few others.

Anyway obviously quite a few others like this thread so i''ll shut up now.

For those thinking this is a negative thread look at the full league table - already there is a 3 pt gap between the haves and have nots in spite of Arsenals poor start. Newcastle may sustain their form and stay in the top 6, but probably they will not. 

There are just 7 points between a relegation slot and being the best of the rest.  Its so tight that if Everton win their game in hand (unlikely as its against Spurs) by 2 goals they jump from 16th to 8th.   No team below 7th has one more than a third of their game.  Go on a winless run and that relegation line gets closer quickly - irrespective of which side you are.

The first objective for the club this season is to secure prem football next season;  We have shown we can do that and have earned our current 8th place slot;  but we need to do that every week, against all sides who want survival as much as we do.  If we can get that consistency we can stay in the top half of the table.  Its a big if,  but no one on here is saying its an impossible one.

Until we hit 40 pts I want to see this table each week - I may not comment but like many will add to the 9000 views.  If you dont like the concept, tough, look at yourself, accept that it annoys you, also accept there are people who like to take a look and that there is little you can do about that  and learn to ignore it each week,  not moan at someone taking the time to share their thoughts and analysis.  

"The first objective for the club this season is to secure prem football next season"

...... and how can that be achieved without the intent of finishing as high as possible ?

Perhaps one of the terminally dim behind this nonsense could finally answer this

[quote user="City1st"]"The first objective for the club this season is to secure prem football next season"

...... and how can that be achieved without the intent of finishing as high as possible ?

Perhaps one of the terminally dim behind this nonsense could finally answer this[/quote]

There is no difference other than one is a target or goal while the other is an intent, both are symbiotic in relation to this subject. I very much doubt my boss will say to me in January ''I wont be giving you a target to measure your performance by I just want you to do your best''.

The full league table is a measure of how well each club is doing, just as the mini relegation league table is. If your that unhappy with it because you dont think these teams will be finishing around the same positions as us then start a mini Europe table. I think personally I will stick to looking this one however as yours would imply we are not having a good season and i dont think that is the case so far.

blimey, just when you think the stupidity barrel has been scrapped as far as it can up pops another to demonstrate further levels of idiocy

"then start a mini Europe table"

or just do what the rest of us do, look at the league table

[quote user="City1st"]"The first objective for the club this season is to secure prem football next season" ...... and how can that be achieved without the intent of finishing as high as possible ? Perhaps one of the terminally dim behind this nonsense could finally answer this[/quote]

And how exactly will this thread, to which you irrationally object, prevent us from finishing as high as possible? 

[quote user="City1st"]"The first objective for the club this season is to secure prem football next season" ...... and how can that be achieved without the intent of finishing as high as possible ? Perhaps one of the terminally dim behind this nonsense could finally answer this[/quote]

That also means not getting relegated...........which brings us nicely round to the point of this thread in the first place.

See, you nearly got it after all.

[quote user="City1st"]blimey, just when you think the stupidity barrel has been scrapped as far as it can up pops another to demonstrate further levels of idiocy

"then start a mini Europe table"

or just do what the rest of us do, look at the league table[/quote]

so you have your question answered and resort to personal attacks. I think maybe at some point you realised that the stance you have taken on this topic is a pretty difficult one to justify, then having backed yourself into a corner can find no way out without losing your e peen.

I dont claim to be Einstein but for someone that bangs on about intelligence repeatedly your not coming across as a member of mensa yourself.

LEAGUE TABLE SNAPSHOT (Week 11 - Saturday)

13pts Norwich City (6 rivals played 4H, 2A)

13pts Swansea (6 rivals played, 4H, 2A)

12pts QPR (6 rivals played, 2H, 4A)

11pts WBA (5 rivals played; 2H, 3A)

10pts Sunderland (4 rivals played; 1H. 3A)

10pts Everton (4 rivals played; 2H, 2A)

10pts Fulham (6 rivals played; 3H, 3A)

8pts Wolverhampton Wanders (5 rivals played; 3H, 2A)

---

6pts Blackburn Rovers (4 rivals played; 1H, 3A)

6pts Bolton Wanderers (5 rivals played; 2H, 3A)

5pts Wigan Athletic (6 rivals played, 3H, 3A)

HEAD-TO-HEAD TABLE (points scored against rivals)

11pts Norwich City from 6 games (1.83pt AV)

9pts Everton from 4 games (2.25)

9pts Swansea from 6 games (1.5)

8pts WBA from 5 games (1.6)

8pts Fulham from 6 games (1.33)

7pts Wolverhampton Wanders from 5 games (1.4)

7pts QPR from 6 games (1.17)

6pts Bolton Wanderers from 5 games (1.20)

---

5pts Sunderland from 4 games (1.25)

5pts Wigan Athletic from 6 games (0.83)

3pts Blackburn Rovers from 4 games (0.75)

AVERAGES TABLE (Average point per game against rivals)

2.25 Everton from (9/4)

1.83 Norwich City from (11/6)

1.60 WBA (8/5)

1.50 Swansea (9/6)

1.40 Wolverhampton Wanders (7/5)

1.33 Fulham (8/6)

1.25 Sunderland (5/4)

1.20 Bolton Wanderers (6/5)

---

1.17 QPR (7/6)

0.83 Wigan Athletic (5/6)

0.75 Blackburn Rovers (3/4)

Today had no teams playing relegation rivals, and just saw Swansea pick up an incredible away point at Liverpool. Both us and QPR came close to grabbing a point, but it wasn''t to be.

Big day tomorrow for Wolves as they have 1 point in 7 games and have arguably the easiest game of the year tomorrow.

[quote user="CantonsHero"]Stop complaining about it; it pops up twice a week and it wont hurt to just ignore it[/quote]Sounds just like my marriage.

LEAGUE TABLE SNAPSHOT (Week 11 - Saturday)

12pts QPR (6 rivals played, 2H, 4A)

11pts WBA (5 rivals played; 2H, 3A)

11pts Wolverhampton Wanders (6 rivals played; 3H, 2A)

10pts Sunderland (4 rivals played; 1H. 3A)

10pts Everton (4 rivals played; 2H, 2A)

10pts Fulham (6 rivals played; 3H, 3A)

---

9pts Bolton Wanderers (5 rivals played; 2H, 3A)

6pts Blackburn Rovers (4 rivals played; 1H, 3A)

5pts Wigan Athletic (7 rivals played, 3H, 4A)

11pts Norwich City from 6 games (1.83pt AV)

10pts Wolverhampton Wanders from 6 games (1.67)

9pts Everton from 4 games (2.25)

8pts WBA from 5 games (1.6)

8pts Fulham from 6 games (1.33)

6pts Bolton Wanderers from 5 games (1.20)

---

5pts Sunderland from 4 games (1.25)

5pts Wigan Athletic from 7 games (0.71)

3pts Blackburn Rovers from 4 games (0.75)

2.25 Everton from (9/4)

1.67 Wolverhampton Wanders (10/6)

1.60 WBA (8/5)

1.50 Swansea (9/6)

1.33 Fulham (8/6)

1.25 Sunderland (5/4)

1.20 Bolton Wanderers (6/5)

---

1.17 QPR (7/6)

0.75 Blackburn Rovers (3/4)

0.71 Wigan Athletic (5/7)

Yet again Blackburn and Wigan line the bottom of all three of these tables.

The discussion they becomes who is doing the worst of the teams joining them.

Points Table - Bolton. Have only played five relegation rivals and today''s win showed that maybe they''re turning a corner.

Points against rivals - Sunderland have only picked up 5 points from their rivals, but that means that they''re still the team doing the best against all of the others.

Averages - QPR (7 points from 6 games suggest that despite their good performances they''re struggling to win the important games.

Next Week''s Big Games

Norwich vs. Arsenal

Everton vs. Wolves

Sunderland vs. Fulham

West Brom vs. Bolton

Wigan vs. Blackburn

Big weekend for Norwich; results going against us could see a drop of 3 places, and with the relegation zone closing in by 3 points this week, a surprise point v. Arsenal would be extremely beneficial.

LEAGUE TABLE SNAPSHOT (Week 12)

15pts QPR (6 rivals played, 2H, 4A)

14pts WBA (6 rivals played; 3H, 3A)

13pts Everton (5 rivals played; 2H, 3A)

11pts Wolverhampton Wanders (7 rivals played; 3H, 4A)

11pts Sunderland (5 rivals played; 2H. 3A)

11pts Fulham (7 rivals played; 3H, 4A)

---

9pts Bolton Wanderers (6 rivals played; 2H, 4A)

7pts Blackburn Rovers (5 rivals played; 1H, 4A)

6pts Wigan Athletic (8 rivals played, 4H, 4A)

12pts Everton from 5 games (2.40)

11pts WBA from 6 games (1.83)

11pts Norwich City from 6 games (1.83pt)

10pts Wolverhampton Wanders from 7 games (1.43)

9pts Fulham from 7 games (1.29)

6pts Bolton Wanderers from 6 games (1.00)

---

6pts Sunderland from 5 games (1.20)

6pts Wigan Athletic from 8 games (0.75)

4pts Blackburn Rovers from 5 games (0.80)

2.40 Everton from (12/5)

1.83 WBA (11/6)

1.50 Swansea (9/6)

1.43 Wolverhampton Wanders (10/7)

1.29 Fulham (9/7)

1.20 Sunderland (6/5)

1.17 QPR (7/6)

---

1.00 Bolton Wanderers (6/6)

0.80 Blackburn Rovers (4/5)

0.75 Wigan Athletic (6/8)

Bad result for Bolton today; they now sit in the bottom three for two of these three tables, but again Wigan look really bad!!

Big fixtures next week:

Bolton vs. Everton

Norwich vs. QPR

Sunderland vs. Wigan