Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

What is up with Rudd?

Amidst all this Ruddy is cr@p, Forster is the messiah, Lambert is a fool not to buy a keeper, I can''t help asking myself, what is wrong with Declan Rudd?

From where I have been sitting, the only answer I have for that is his age. Every time he has been called upon to play for Norwich he has been solid. His distribution and kicking I would actually rate as superior to Ruddy and certainly superior to FF.

He has played many games at England schoolboys, which one could argue saw him keeping goal on a pitch with players boasting more quality than the ones sharing a pitch with Fraser Forster in League One and the Premiership.

From the sounds of things, I am in a minority. However, I would not be in the least bit concerned if Declan Rudd winds up our number 1 goaly for a significant period of next season.

And whilst that minority doesn''t appear to include too many of you Pinkun posters, it does seem as though it includes Paul Lambert.

You obviously haven''t seen the quality of a lot of youth international football if you think it is better than League One.

Rudd has a lot of potential, but I wouldn''t want to see him thrown into the deep end and having to play in the Premier League considering he has barely played at any professional level. To be honest no one really knows how good Rudd is as he has only been seen in an occasional game - imagine if he was suddenly needed to cover a 10 - 15 run of games due to an injury - he could be awful and in turn cost us survival.

I felt we needed someone in last season in case of an injury to Ruddy and can''t see why we wouldn''t need to now.

Rudd is a great young ''keeper, but I still reckon we need an experienced GK to challenge Ruddy for the no 1. Ruddy is not cr@p , he''s one of the guys that got us up!!!

I rate FF very very highly, but that''s not the point. We need a healthy competition for the no 1 spot and I''m afraid Ruddy is sitting too pretty. Lambert''s got competition all over the park (maybe not CB), so he should get an experienced GK in imo

I''d be happy for Rudd to be backup, but it would be nice to get him out on loan playing 1st choice for a Championship team for a few months at least. More for his development than because he isn''t ready to backup in the Prem.

Whether anyone in the Championship would be willing to put him in 1st choice is another question though.

Does anyone actually know how good he is? It''s a huge risk for his future and ours if he ended up first choice through injury in the Premier League, definately one for the future though.

What''s the obsession with competition for the GK spot?

Other teams don''t really do it. It''s the one position you really need an established number one in. Not only because you don''t want a nervous golakeeper, but also because the defence need consistency from the man organising them, and consistency in distribution.

Whether or not Ruddy is good enough for the number 1 jersey is a separate debate - we really have 3 options.

1. Bring in someone to replace Ruddy, and either sell him or let him know he''s number 2.

2. Bring in back-up, make it clear Ruddy''s number 1.

3. Leave it as it is. Rudd as back-up, and a player Ruddy doesn''t feel immediate threat from, but knows has the potential to usurp him in a season or two so has to make sure he keeps on improving to stay ahead.

OP Spot On!!!! There are some sane people in the world, which doesn''t include you ''G'' ''Does anyone actually know how good he is?'' we dont know all the ins and outs but if Lambert is happy with it why are you not do you see him train everyday?

The proof will be in the pudding so to speak, as others have mentioned if Lambert feel''s he needs experienced back up then im sure by the end of August we will have someone in place... If not then Lambert will have made it clear that he has faith in young Rudd and Steer to provide cover and competition during the season for Ruddy... Possibly loaning Rudd or Steer out so one isn''t just rotting away in the stands on match day ....

In Lambert we trust, it''s going to be an amazing season, im so excited,these are certainly good times to be a City fan :)

OTBC

The only thing that lets Rudd down really is his lack of experience, but I''m sure we will see him playing in cup games and such when called upon. Lambert knows how good he is, he''s seen him in training week in week out, and if he hasn''t bought in another keeper, that tells us Lambert must think he is ready to be called upon and push Ruddy for a place.

I actually think his kicking is one of his few downsides, he''s just too damn powerful! He often kicks it too far, or straight to their keeper, with that natured I feel he has the potential to be our No1 in the future.

Take nothing away from Ruddy though, he had a brilliant season last year, especially coming into a side where expectations were possibly high, to keep on winning. Sure, he made a few mistakes, but all players do - just think about all the important saves he made as well. With a good defence in front of him too, I don''t think we should worry too much.

We definitely need experienced back-up, as I said on another thread.

Injury to Gunn for a lengthy period cost us relegation in ''95 and a similar long-term injury to Ruddy will do the same IMO. GK is not a position to take unnecessary risks and we cannot bring in cover once the 25 is named unless the other GKs are injured too.

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]The only thing that lets Rudd down really is his lack of experience, but I''m sure we will see him playing in cup games and such when called upon. Lambert knows how good he is, he''s seen him in training week in week out, and if he hasn''t bought in another keeper, that tells us Lambert must think he is ready to be called upon and push Ruddy for a place.

I actually think his kicking is one of his few downsides, he''s just too damn powerful! He often kicks it too far, or straight to their keeper, with that natured I feel he has the potential to be our No1 in the future.

Take nothing away from Ruddy though, he had a brilliant season last year, especially coming into a side where expectations were possibly high, to keep on winning. Sure, he made a few mistakes, but all players do - just think about all the important saves he made as well. With a good defence in front of him too, I don''t think we should worry too much.[/quote]

Nice one AJ, you''ve said everything I wanted to! None of us on here (especially myself) have seen what Paul Lambert gets to see on a daily basis. There is no question Sir Lambert would not want competition for Ruddy - That goes 110% without saying!. Which leads me to one conclusion - Rudd is certainly ready to make the step up should he be called upon for whatever reason. And that''s good enough for me. I liked Forster and he did ever so well with us in League 1, but as there''s such a fascination with bringing him back - I''d rather take Green. He was not bad last season at all for a sh1te West Ham side that had their goal peppered compared to the the top teams - Would like to have seen how much better Van Der Sar and Reina would have coped to be honest ;). My only 10 penneth on the goalkeeping situation because it''s getting as boring as the relentless Cody threads now ;)

I would''ve liked to see an old hand brought in as back up for Ruddy, not only to prevent a similar situation to ''95 but it would also have allowed Rudd a season out on loan in the Championship or in League 1, which has to be better than him sitting on the bench playing the odd reserve game.

[quote user="paul moy"]We definitely need experienced back-up, as I said on another thread. Injury to Gunn for a lengthy period cost us relegation in ''95 and a similar long-term injury to Ruddy will do the same IMO. GK is not a position to take unnecessary risks and we cannot bring in cover once the 25 is named unless the other GKs are injured too.[/quote]

Couldn''t Cody do a job between the sticks?[:)]

I agree with the OP . . . At the end of the day we''ll find out come 31st August whether Lambert is happy to put his faith in what we have or whether he feels we need experienced back up/competition. I personally don''t see a problem with Rudd as number 2. There''s only one way of finding out if he can hack it or not.

One case sample from recent seasons would be that of Kasper Schmeichel coming in for Man City for a few games during their injury crisis before he got loaned out (2/3 seasons ago??). Certainly didn''t disgrace himself did he . . . and I wouldn''t say he''s any better or worse than what Rudd has shown thus far.

I''ve never met Rudd but I don''t like his attitude in the pre match warm up! If I was in his position I would want to do as. Much as possible with the rest of the team, but Rudd doesn''t! He does the GK warm up bit - fine, but when the outfielders do the run from edge of box to half way he just jogs off and this annoys me so much! His body language to me makes him look like he feels he has already ''made it'' and he hasn''t!!,

I think Rudd would be good enough for a game or two but i think he''d probably struggle if he was asked to play 10 or 15 games straight at the level we now find ourselves at. Personally i''d have prefered an experienced back up brought in maybe just for a year and see if we could get Rudd loaned out with the view that he comes back with some experience and has a real go at competing for the number 1 spot.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I''ve never met Rudd but I don''t like his attitude in the pre match warm up! If I was in his position I would want to do as. Much as possible with the rest of the team, but Rudd doesn''t! He does the GK warm up bit - fine, but when the outfielders do the run from edge of box to half way he just jogs off and this annoys me so much! His body language to me makes him look like he feels he has already ''made it'' and he hasn''t!!,[/quote]This forum has thrown up some real gems, but this has got to be up there! You dont like him because he has a bad attitude when running in the warm up...... Spare me!

[quote user="Ncfc26"]

WHEN ALL THE OUTFIELD PLAYERS DO IT!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

And I am a Banana returns in true form!!

Idiot..

[quote user="paul moy"]We definitely need experienced back-up, as I said on another thread.

Injury to Gunn for a lengthy period cost us relegation in ''95 and a similar long-term injury to Ruddy will do the same IMO. GK is not a position to take unnecessary risks and we cannot bring in cover once the 25 is named unless the other GKs are injured too.[/quote]Exactly, Marshall came in that season and did OK (a couple of stunning games early on) but he lacked presence and was badly exposed as the season went on. When Gunn got injured we were in the top half and looking very safe before the slide set in.I have been quite impressed with Rudd during his limited appearances but I think it would be unfair on him to throw him in for a 10 game run if Ruddy picks up an injury.Based upon Lamberts''s comments then I think this is a big thumbs up for the keepers we have - lets hope we get a real benefit from this.

[quote user="Steve 9-2"][quote user="paul moy"]We definitely need experienced back-up, as I said on another thread. Injury to Gunn for a lengthy period cost us relegation in ''95 and a similar long-term injury to Ruddy will do the same IMO. GK is not a position to take unnecessary risks and we cannot bring in cover once the 25 is named unless the other GKs are injured too.[/quote]

Exactly, Marshall came in that season and did OK (a couple of stunning games early on) but he lacked presence and was badly exposed as the season went on. When Gunn got injured we were in the top half and looking very safe before the slide set in.

I have been quite impressed with Rudd during his limited appearances but I think it would be unfair on him to throw him in for a 10 game run if Ruddy picks up an injury.

Based upon Lamberts''s comments then I think this is a big thumbs up for the keepers we have - lets hope we get a real benefit from this.
[/quote]

---

I remember Marshall''s frst full game (at home to Newcastle) after Gunn was injured at Forest. We got two quick goals (Adams and Ward, I think). They got it back to 2-1 with a penalty and proceeded to batter us for the rest of the game, with Marshall pulling off stupendous save after stupendous save. And we somehow held on.

I did wonder later, as we dropped point after point and slid down the table towards relegation, if that display had wrongly convinced Chase he didn''t need to spend money on another keeper. If, in other words, if Marshall hadn''t played so well that day we might have stayed up.

My memory is that, after that stunning debut against Newcastle (and a slightly more sobering experience at Anfield, where the Kop stood to him as one before he let in four), we briefly replaced Marshall with the hapless Simon Tracy, which had the effect of letting Marshall know we didn''t consider him good enough. Unfortunately, Tracy then turned out to be utter sh*te and we had to go back to Marshall.

Certainly don''t want to risk that sort of scenario. Personally I would be looking for a better keeper than Ruddy, but experienced cover is definitely required at the very least.

I dont care what anyone else thinks so bring on the abuse.....Ruddy deserves a chance, he has been unjustly slated left right and centre since the end of the season and if he does read this site, he must be distraught wondering what he has to do to earn some peace and quiet.Declan Rudd is one of the best goalkeepers for his age in this country,  if he is called upon i have every confidence in his ability.We do not need Fraser Forster or any other keeper.I will fight tooth and nail for these guys.If Ruddy does have a bad season this season then i personally blame everybody who has put him down.

I think rudd is a really gud keeper too... and also this season if he plays in a lot of r PREMIER LEAGUE reserve matches that we are now in he will be up against a lot better players than in the championshop etc aswell to give him a gud test...

and yes ruddy is decent and a really gud shot stopper but also now and again does some dodgy mistakes.... i think really hes the modern day DAVID JAMES lol awesome shot stopper but just now and again u get a blooper (which ruddy did have a few times last season)....

hahneman is afree agent and would be a very gud back up ... :)

[quote user="bjg123"]What''s the obsession with competition for the GK spot? Other teams don''t really do it. It''s the one position you really need an established number one in. Not only because you don''t want a nervous golakeeper, but also because the defence need consistency from the man organising them, and consistency in distribution. Whether or not Ruddy is good enough for the number 1 jersey is a separate debate - we really have 3 options. 1. Bring in someone to replace Ruddy, and either sell him or let him know he''s number 2. 2. Bring in back-up, make it clear Ruddy''s number 1. 3. Leave it as it is. Rudd as back-up, and a player Ruddy doesn''t feel immediate threat from, but knows has the potential to usurp him in a season or two so has to make sure he keeps on improving to stay ahead.[/quote]

Is this true?, Whilst I agree that there is usually an established no.1 and at a club, most teams in the prem with make sure they have and resaonablly expericenced back up?

Arsenal -Szeczny/Fabianski

Villa - Given/Guzan

Blackburn -Robinson/Bunn

Bolton -Jaskelanian/Bogdan

Chelsea-Cech/Hilario

Everton -Howard/Mucha

Fulham -Schwarzer/Stockdale

Liverpool -Reina/Doni

Man City -Hart/Taylor

Man Utd - De Gea/Lindegaard/Kuczcsak

Newcasle - Harper/Krul

Norwich -Ruddy/Rudd

QPR - Kenny/Cerny

Stoke - Sorenson/Begovic

Sunderland - Gordon/Westwood

Swansea - Montiero? / ?

Tottenham - Gomes/Friedal/Cudicini

West Brom - Foster or Green? / Myhill

Wigan - Al Habsi / Kirkland

Wolves - Hennessey / De Vries

when you look down that list of "2nd" keepers most if not all are keepers of an certain age / and experience , in many cases internationally. Norwich sticks out like a sore thumb should our 2nd choice be called upon !!