Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

What's going on with our senior fringe players?

ie: Hughes, Cody, TudorJones, Smith.

They don''t appear to have gone to Germany, haven''t played in the games against Wroxham or Histon.

Are they just training on their own hoping someone comes in for them?

With the exception of Cody, I can''t imagine anyone''s really going to be interested in 3 unfit League One level players on decent wages.

[quote user="Larry David"]ie: Hughes, Cody, TudorJones, Smith.

They don''t appear to have gone to Germany, haven''t played in the games against Wroxham or Histon.

Are they just training on their own hoping someone comes in for them?

With the exception of Cody, I can''t imagine anyone''s really going to be interested in 3 unfit League One level players on decent wages.[/quote]I suspect that we will see Owain Tudor-Jones go to a league one side, he did well on loan in that league for two clubs last year and seems really keen to just get on the pitch and playing some games. Pretty certain he came out and said that it looks like he is always injured, because we weren''t in the reserves league, or something.... when reality is he has actually only spent a couple of months injured for each of the two seasons he has been here.I think its pretty much a given that Cody will go to the first people that meet our asking price, possibly still Peterborough, but there is plenty of time between now and the end of the transfer window. I hope we see a sell on clause in any deal, because I can see him leaving for £400k and then being moved on for three times that.In respect of Smith and Hughes, I fear that you are right about the money thing. Wasn''t it common knowledge that Hughes came on £6k per week? I wonder whether there were any promotion pay rises in that? For all we know he could be on £10k now. I rate Hughes, reckon he could do a job for an average Champs team or good League 1 team, but I can''t see anybody giving him £6k a week. That''s a Gunn legacy for you. Can''t see him halving his wages to move on, perhaps Lambert is trying to force the issue who knows. Apparently Steven Smith is wanted by Hearts, but only if that great left back of theirs joins Rangers. Of course, any of those four players could be at other training grounds right now. You never know, they could be training and trialing with clubs as we speak. We just found out that Jed Steer was.

I''m glad somebody has asked that question, as I was about to ask it myself.

Is Cody training at another club, perhaps nearer his home..... Orient maybe ?   

[quote user="Larry David"]What''s going on with our senior fringe players?[/quote]

I suspect you can perm any two from four...two will make the cut, the other two will be trimmed from the wage bill. 

What happens to the likes of Smith & Hughes if they are deemed unsuitable for the squad of 25 and there''s no clubs interested in taking them on?

[quote user="barclaystand"]What happens to the likes of Smith & Hughes if they are deemed unsuitable for the squad of 25 and there''s no clubs interested in taking them on?[/quote]

They get sent on a 3 month training schedule with Glenn Roeder and Bryan Hamilton. Their careers coming to a rapid standstill !

They have to play it out in reserves, or they leave on a free via mutual consent, I assume

I Like Hughes.. he did well for us in league 1 and injury ruled him out for all of last season. I''d like to see him make the 25. Loan him out to get fit and maybe feature towards the end of the season.I think he could do a job.

Would imagine between them you’re looking at least £15k a week. It would be good to be able to use that on a player that could really make a difference.

There hasn''t been many highlights from the named players in recent seasons, there soon be given the chop..a case of hair today, gone tomorrow.

[quote user="Bovril"]There hasn''t been many highlights from the named players in recent seasons, there soon be given the chop..a case of hair today, gone tomorrow.[/quote]

Is that hair today, bold tomorrow??? [:P]

[quote user="barclaystand"]What happens to the likes of Smith & Hughes if they are deemed unsuitable for the squad of 25 and there''s no clubs interested in taking them on?
[/quote]

It is in everyone''s best interests to send them out on loan, even if it is the last year of their contract; The player puts himself in the shop window, we reduce our wage bill and the other club get a decent player for a reasonable wage.

[quote user="John"]This looks to give a pretty clear indication of where some of these are headed...

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2011/07/25/lambert-gives-holt-the-skippers-nod-as-the-canaries-prepare-to-step-up-their-premier-league-preparations-this-week/

Also clarifies Lamberts stance somewhat on all that goalkeeping malark
[/quote]

Nice to get a few things clear there.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="barclaystand"]What happens to the likes of Smith & Hughes if they are deemed unsuitable for the squad of 25 and there''s no clubs interested in taking them on?
[/quote]

It is in everyone''s best interests to send them out on loan, even if it is the last year of their contract; The player puts himself in the shop window, we reduce our wage bill and the other club get a decent player for a reasonable wage.

[/quote]

I would say it would be more beneficial to sell them, get a fee and get them off the wage bill. That article suggests they''ve rejected moves and will be more happy to wait to go out on loan where presumably they will still get their full salary from us.

Cheers Big Bryan [:$]

Stephen Hughes has been pretty unlucky. Whilst in League 1, whenever he looked to be nailing down a regular place in the side, he''d pick up an injury and fall behind Korey, Russell & Lappin whilst the side continued to win games. He missed pre-season last summer and just couldn''t get into another winning side.

I liked Hughes whenever he was actually fit but he’s now behind Crofts, Fox, Johnson, Surman, Korey Smith and probably Lappin in centre midfield. The rumours suggest he’s on decent money so would probably make sense to get rid if possible.

[quote user="John"]This looks to give a pretty clear indication of where some of these are headed...

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2011/07/25/lambert-gives-holt-the-skippers-nod-as-the-canaries-prepare-to-step-up-their-premier-league-preparations-this-week/

Also clarifies Lamberts stance somewhat on all that goalkeeping malark
[/quote]

That''s pretty clear confirmation that Lambert does not want Cody etc to remain at Norwich. It appears that he is trying to freeze them out to get them off the wage bill, but he may have problems there as I would imagine they are on top money at the moment.