Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Jed Steer

Probably old news, so I apologise if I am wasting everyone''s time. But it seems like the lad is training with Yeovil at the moment. He played in the pre season friendly against Bristol City and kept a clean sheet. David James on the other hand dropped an absolute clanger for Bristol City.

From Yahoo Sport

A David James mistake helped Yeovil to a 1-0 pre-season victory over their Championship opponents Bristol City at Huish Park.

The away side fell behind to an early goal from an Diarra Tiemoko, after the Robins'' goalkeeper had only manage to fumble Paul Wotton''s effort. Tiemoko tapped in from six yards, much to the former England goalkeeper''s embarrassment.

Jonathan Stead had his close-range effort cleared off the line after 25 minutes, moments after Nicky Maynard had drawn a good save from Yeovil goalkeeper Jed Steer following Jamie McAllister''s pull back.

Despite Kieren Agard''s long-range effort, the visitors were on the defensive for much of the second half but after Nicky Maynard and Liam Fontaine had missed further good opportunities, Yeovil secured their victory.

I for one didn''t know that Jacko, so thanks for the info. Any details on the loan situation there? Steer and Rudd are really promising young ''keepers for the future. They just need game time now. This sounds like a sensible move.

I could be wrong but I think he is just on trial at the moment. If they like what they see he could be taken on loan as they need a keeper. Its the problem Lambert highlighted that clubs are always a bit reluctant to take a chance on such a young keeper. Even if they do have tremendous ability as Steer does. But it seems like today has done him no harm at all.

Oh right never knew this. Hope Yeovil take the risk and have him on loan so we can see how good he is and help him develop. Same with Rudd, but it looks like Rudd is going to spend another season warming the bench. Unfortunately.

The only thing holding =keepers like Rudd and Steer back is lack of experience, a year out on loan to someone like Yeovil would be fantastic

Some comments from Yeovil fans;

"i thought the keeper was qualty, some great last second reaction saves from him"

"Keeper made some good saves but didn''t look confident coming out to crosses a few poor punches"

"Thought the keeper done realy well. good kicking and gets down well woulds like to see him comand his defence a little but a great prospect IMHO"

Hopefully they take him on loan and give him games, i''ve only heard good things about him.

I suppose the good thing re: Rudd if he stays with us is that we should face some decent opposition in the reserves. Sure it''s not quite the same as competitive first team games but it''ll be a big step up from the type of reserve games we''ve had over the last few years.

[quote user="yellow blood"]If he does go on loan to Yeovil then surely another keeper has to be brought in.[/quote]

On loan? Who is to say that we are not selling him?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="yellow blood"]If he does go on loan to Yeovil then surely another keeper has to be brought in.[/quote]

[/quote]

Steer is very highly rated. I would be amazed if we sold him, particularly to someone like Yeovil. If we do sell him then it will be a mistake. Loan deal would be good though.

We may not sell Steer yet, but I do wonder how much longer we''ll be able to keep both of them-sooner or later, both Rudd and Steer are going to want to play, what do we do then?

Who goes, who stays, who plays?

Not totally inconceivable we could lose both of them, especially if Ruddy stays in the side for the next 2-3 seasons.

[/quote] ??? who is to say that we are?

[/quote] ??? who is to say that we are?

According to the Yahoo player profiles, both Jed Steer and Chris Martin appear to beat Bolton Wanderers!!

Theres'' a slight irony there in David James making a costly mistake but Steer playing a blinder. [:D]

I''ve seen Declan Rudd quite a few times and have always been impressed with him but I have been led to believe by some people close to the Club that Jed Steer is a better prospect.

[quote user="paul moy"]Theres'' a slight irony there in David James making a costly mistake but Steer playing a blinder. [:D][/quote]It means James is sh1t.

A little bit of insider info with regards to him being sold; Chelsea came in for him about 3 years ago with an offer of about 100,000 but it was rejected by the club. Jed is held in very high regard as one of our brightest prospect and wont be let go cheaply.

I''d like to think both Rudd and Steer can be our no1 and 2 someday, both are held in very high regard, and it''d be nice to keep hold of some of our youth prospects for a change!!

[quote user="birchfest"]A little bit of insider info with regards to him being sold; Chelsea came in for him about 3 years ago with an offer of about 100,000 but it was rejected by the club. Jed is held in very high regard as one of our brightest prospect and wont be let go cheaply.
[/quote]

To be fair it wasn''t exactly a secret that Chelsea were after him at the time. It was all over the media. But if the figure of £100k is true, that offer was an absolute joke even if he was about 15 or 16 at the time.

I think both of our young keepers need at some point to go out on loan. They would benefit like Joe Lewis did at Morecombe. I can not see either of the lads being able to step up to the Premier League at the moment so would try and get in a keeper like Marcus Hahenmann, he is on a free and has got the experience needed if required or Ruddy is struggling.

Unless he can go out on loan, with a call back option. This would be the best option.

Still would not rule out another keeper coming in though.

I hope this doesn''t happen. If our summer signings are done sending Steer out on loan would be crazy.

We have filled the squad with attacking players, signed 2 young loan defenders and may possibly be sending one of our keepers out on loan- which may be it for our ''defensive strengthening''. The players we are still being linked with are all attacking players.

Are we trying to replicate the infamous ''famous five'' of Spurs?[:^)]

By January it may too little too late to strengthen the defense if needed. We will also be held to ransom if we desperately need a keeper or defender as other clubs will know how desperate we are?

Seems to be a very good prospect. A loan deal suits both parties at this stage. I remember the young lad who is now Arsenal number one playing at Carrow Road for Brentford. Loan seemed to do him the world of good. I thought we were going to have to shoot him to score at one stage