Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow Tim

Lambert - no more signings

Did he literally say that though? As footage on Canary Player from an interview this morning showed him saying that he was happy with the squad he had, he had no issues with Rudd being number two, but he never denied the fact that he could bring in more players during the transfer window.

Yes, be really interesting to see if any more players do come in.  Let''s face it, so far we''ve only found out about player moves from CR when they are signed and sealed, e.g. with Johnson I was starting to think it wasn''t going to happen but sure enough the signing came through when his Leeds contract had expired, and with Pilkington we heard about it from Huddersfield when it was being discussed and then only from CR when it was defo.

I agree this does mean he''s comfortable with the CB position with the squad having De Laet added to Whitbread/Barnett/Ward, + with Rudd as backup to Ruddy.

Also I guess you can only bring in so many players without it being too disruptive.  But I still wouldn''t be surprised if someone like Lansbury or Pacheco slots in late on, or another really good addition to the squad pops up.

[quote user="211203"]

Also I guess you can only bring in so many players without it being too disruptive.  But I still wouldn''t be surprised if someone like Lansbury or Pacheco slots in late on, or another really good addition to the squad pops up.

[/quote]

Thought we were only allowed two loanees from the premier which we now have ??

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="211203"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats right, but there is nothing to stop us buying these players, assuming PL has a role in mind and that parent clubs would sell at the right price. Also, as both are under 21s, they would not count towards the 25 man squad limit.

[quote user="Desert Fox"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="211203"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats right, but there is nothing to stop us buying these players, assuming PL has a role in mind and that parent clubs would sell at the right price. Also, as both are under 21s, they would not count towards the 25 man squad limit.

[/quote]

That''s it.  The expectation with Lansbury seems to be that he''ll leave Arsenal altogether although probably not to City.  Pacheco could be either - he''s obviously wanting a chance at first team football as you''d expect for a bright young player and really it''ll depend whether Liverpool want to try to develop him via a loan or just decide to get rid.  And like I say I still wouldn''t be surprised if we pick up a last signing late in the window when moves elsewhere leave people surplus to requirements.

I have not seen this particular interview but I think Lasmbert has been very consistent in saying that he has his targets but if someone else suitable came up he might sign him.

I think posters are not applying brain here.  What else can he say?   Just imagine what would happen if he said that he needed three more players and couldn''t get them all.   We would go into the season with an apparently incomplete squad and many would assume that we were doomed.   Lambert cannot publicly say he must have more players even if that is what he thinks because he must present to the world a view of a complete and ready squad able to deal with anything the premier league throws at him.   Read Rick Waghorn''s article quoted elsewhere for more.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

I have not seen this particular interview but I think Lasmbert has been very consistent in saying that he has his targets but if someone else suitable came up he might sign him.

I think posters are not applying brain here.  What else can he say?   Just imagine what would happen if he said that he needed three more players and couldn''t get them all.   We would go into the season with an apparently incomplete squad and many would assume that we were doomed.   Lambert cannot publicly say he must have more players even if that is what he thinks because he must present to the world a view of a complete and ready squad able to deal with anything the premier league throws at him.   Read Rick Waghorn''s article quoted elsewhere for more.

[/quote]

---

Indeed. Particularly if a sought-after player became available. However, as far as goalkeeping (which bothers some posters here) is concerned Lambert has now been quite specific:

Norwich City boss Paul Lambert has said he has no concerns over the depth of his goalkeeping options. Canaries number one John Ruddy is currently backed-up by 20-year-old Declan Rudd and 18-year-old Jed Steer, who is on trial with Yeovil. And Lambert told BBC Radio Norfolk he is not looking to bolster his complement of keepers. "Hopefully nothing happens to John but if Declan has to go in then I don''t have any worries," he said. "If something happens with John I may look to do something but at this minute I don''t have a problem."

Given that very public backing for Ruddy and Rudd, it would seem odd if he now did bring in another keeper before September and whether Lambert would be allowed to bring in another keeper if Ruddy were to get injured after the window shuts is a highly debatable question.

Purple Canary,

I agree. There is no way on earth we are going to risk letting Steer go on loan without bringing a third keeper. The only question is whether we would bring in short term cover on a short contract (e.g. Hanheman) or someone to potentially challenge Ruddy for No1. As we cant loan any more players, my hunch would be teh former as the latter woudl probably require a three year contract, which would mean that we have four keepers on our books when/if Steer returns from loan. 

It looks like to me Steer has done enough to get a season loan.  That leaves just two keepers.  IMO Lambert is playing a dangerous game if he thinks, well we''ll get a special loan ticket if there''s an injury.

[quote user="Gene Tierney"]It looks like to me Steer has done enough to get a season loan.  That leaves just two keepers.  IMO Lambert is playing a dangerous game if he thinks, well we''ll get a special loan ticket if there''s an injury.
[/quote]

Agreed - which means we are most probably in the market for an experienced keeper and that means a new signing rather than a loan. Question is whether this a short term solution (i.e. one year) or not.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

[quote user="Gene Tierney"]It looks like to me Steer has done enough to get a season loan.  That leaves just two keepers.  IMO Lambert is playing a dangerous game if he thinks, well we''ll get a special loan ticket if there''s an injury.
[/quote]

Agreed - which means we are most probably in the market for an experienced keeper and that means a new signing rather than a loan. Question is whether this a short term solution (i.e. one year) or not.

[/quote]

This is interesting as I can''t see anything in what Lambert said which justies this conclusion.   He saya he going with Ruddy and Rudd.  Exactly which part of what Lambert said did you either not understand or did you decide he is lying?  If he is lying, on what do you base that conclusion?

[/quote]

---

Dangerous to assume, but I assume if we loan out Steer we will have an instant recall clause. The more important point, I think, is whether we would be allowed an emergency loan if either Ruddy or Rudd got injured. Lambert, by going with only one keeper with any serious experience, and by saying at the same time he is happy with Rudd as back-up, has rather cut the ground from under his feet. I pointed out in another thread that Wigan, our first opponents and hardly the wealthiest club in the PL, have three very experienced keepers (Al Habsi, Kirkland and Pollitt) as well as an 18-year-old.

I suspect the PL would tell us we should have had the position better covered in the first place.

Cambridge Canary,

I am not accusing PL of anything, simply speculating - hence my use of "probably". At the end of the day, if you really believe that we will have just two keepers this year, aged 24 and 20, with no top flight experience, then you entitled to that opinion. In my opinion, I think that this "probably" wont be the case, but we will know for real shortly.

The last time we tried this, we got relagated as an inexperienced Andy Marshall struggled to cover for the injured Gunn. Furthermore, if we had three keepers in the championship, why on earth we would risk going down to two in the PL?