Sign in to follow this  
alysha

Crystal Palace Match Chat

I was there too. We didn''t look great but dominated for the whole game. We''ll need to be a lot better but there''s nothing to be worried about yet.

Positives:

De Laet looked very good

We were creating a lot of space on a very small pitch

Tierny looked very good, apart from his crossing

Hoolahan looked sharp when he got the ball

Negatives

Lots of cross field balls were going astray

Barnett looked very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet

Johnson''s passing wasn''t good enough

We created very few chances, especially given how much we had the ball

Our crossing was terrible

Please remember we have been playing against VERY RUBBISH TEAMS.

Crystal Palace are about to kick off and are near the end of their pre-season stuff. They are on the ball, we''ve only just come back to ENGLISH football!!

We are going to be off the pace, and find it tough, that is the IDEA.

We''ve got a lot of friendlies to go yet, calm down!

Just back from the game - like others I wasn''t unhappy with what I saw and was most impressed by De Laet; I think we''re going to need Vaughan to do well tho'' as I remain unconvinced that Jackson is going to cut it at the highest level (going by tonight anyway).

[quote user="flecky76"]If anyone cares to checkout Blackpool''s pre-season results last year, you will see they lost to Crewe and Hibs, yet then beat Wigan away 4-0 on the opening day.

Pre-season means diddly squat. As a previous poster has said, good pre-seasons in the past have led to relegation battles, while poor pre-seasons have led to promotion seasons.

We might be eager to follow our team once again, but its 13th August that is the ONLY match that matters between now and then.

In Lambert we trust, remember!!![/quote]I did check out the final league table.[:)]I''m not moaning just a realist. We''ve got a decent Champ side attempting to play with the big boys.  Reality will hit home soon I think.

[quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="flecky76"]If anyone cares to checkout Blackpool''s pre-season results last year, you will see they lost to Crewe and Hibs, yet then beat Wigan away 4-0 on the opening day. Pre-season means diddly squat. As a previous poster has said, good pre-seasons in the past have led to relegation battles, while poor pre-seasons have led to promotion seasons. We might be eager to follow our team once again, but its 13th August that is the ONLY match that matters between now and then. In Lambert we trust, remember!!![/quote]

I did check out the final league table.[:)]

I''m not moaning just a realist. We''ve got a decent Champ side attempting to play with the big boys.  Reality will hit home soon I think.
[/quote]

Agreed, but we only have to be better than three other sides, and I''m pretty confident that with Lambert''s organisation and early preparation that we will be.  

Just like we had a league one side competing in the championship last year? hmm?

Looked more like Lambert had sent the players out to play a game of two touch, with Palace making up the numbers

You were lucky if you saw Palace play two touches/passes before losing the ballfor most of the first half

There wasn''t too much urgency about City so I for one wasn''y too suprised when they went in at half time without scoring

Second half slowed down a bitearly on, more so after a ''mad 5 mins'' when three sets of substitutions saw virtually the whole team changed.

Last 15 mins were a bit frantic, with Palace slowly coming into it but it never looked like a game City were too arsed about winning

De Laet oozed class - two superb tackles when a lesser man would have hoofed into touch

Johnson - looked a bit rough, in more than one way, few loose passes

C Martin still has a bit to do, but it did seem like he knew it as well

Surnam again looked at another level when he came on

Adeyemi looked a bit rusty and lacked a bit oif sharpness

All in all a pretty satifying display, if you were watching the players and not the scoreboard - probably acknowledged by the couple of dozen parlarse herberts whose squeak of ''Premer League you''re havin a laugh'' was not heard after the first minute or so until after the goal a couple of mins from time

Aside from the usual cretinous bleats from the terminally dim the main point of contention should be were City that good, or palarse that bad ?

The two home games against the ''furriners'' will tell - until then sleep well children, there is little to fear ............................. other than the over exited stupidity some on here seem to have in abundance

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="flecky76"]If anyone cares to checkout Blackpool''s pre-season results last year, you will see they lost to Crewe and Hibs, yet then beat Wigan away 4-0 on the opening day. Pre-season means diddly squat. As a previous poster has said, good pre-seasons in the past have led to relegation battles, while poor pre-seasons have led to promotion seasons. We might be eager to follow our team once again, but its 13th August that is the ONLY match that matters between now and then. In Lambert we trust, remember!!![/quote]I did check out the final league table.[:)]I''m not moaning just a realist. We''ve got a decent Champ side attempting to play with the big boys.  Reality will hit home soon I think.[/quote]

Agreed, but we only have to be better than three other sides, and I''m pretty confident that with Lambert''s organisation and early preparation that we will be.  

[/quote]Disagree completely. We have a Premiership side. That''s how come we got promoted. If you finish second you were better than 22 other teams in the Championship. And since then, we have purchased more quality.You''re not a realist, you''re a miserable cunt.

I still felt the Toothless display in front of goal was a cause for concern. When you have that much posesion but do nothing with it how will we cope when chances are few and mistakes quickly punished. On the night it looked as if we could have played for another hour and created no chances

[quote user="Canary on the Trent"]The players are supposed to be playing for places and they still can''t raise their game far enough to compete with lower league opposition. Really doesn''t bode well![/quote]

And we beat Palarse 2 years ago!  Lambert out!  Gunn Inn!!  Lets replace McNally with Doncaster!!  Bring back Cody!!  [:S]

Some people seem to forget where we''ve come from in a very short space of time.  Yes it may be a long hard season but its a long hard season in the PREM.  Maybe some supporters need a reality check - we arent going to win the league this year.  We''ll do well finishing 17th this year.  The only results that matter are the 38 league games plus however-many cup games, starting on 13th August

I was at the game last night, and it was played exactly like a friendly by City. The pace was slow, tackles, on the whole, were less than wholehearted. While some of the players looked short on fitness, the team as a whole looked a cut above Crystal Palace.

DeLaet looks a good signing, very assured on the ball and able to pick a pass out.

Barnett is still showing what a rock he is in the air, though his ball control on the floor is still lacking.

R. Martin for me was the best player on the pitch, in terms of where he left off last season and maintaining it through the summer.

Tierney was hungry for the ball on the left, although found few balls coming to him.

Crofts was again all over the pitch, and was one of the few players really getting stuck into the tackles, but even he wasn''t giving 100%.

Johnson, at first glance looked a little out of sorts, lacking fitness, but you could see his ability to hold the ball and his eagerness to get stuck in.

Fox, I have to admit didn''t stand out enough for me to comment.

C. Martin showed glimpses of his ability to strike the ball very sweetly, and on a couple of occassions showed good feet to get out of trouble.

Holt was his usual determined self, but only at 90%. It was a friendly and he didn''t take kindly to some stronger challenges by the Palace defence.

Jackson showed his pace, a willingness to hold the ball, run into space and work for the team.

I won''t go into the substitutions because they were numerous. While disappointing to lose, our players did show glimmers of quality that Palace just didn''t have, especially considering they are further into their pre-season build up.

DeLaet and Whitbred in defence showed some very smart decision making under pressure, and when Hoolahan came on he was the most skillful player on the pitch.

I would like to highlight just how much of a friendly this was. As the referee was about to blow the whistle to start the second half, R. Martin was still having his photo taken with some fans.

It was a typical trip to Selhurst Park, I''ve only been once and seen us win - and I''ve lived around here for six years - and that was pre-season before embarking on our season in League One.

Negative results always draw the moaners and doubters, I for one aren''t overly concerned, we still have a lot of pitch time before the season kicks off.

It still amazes me the amount of bolloc*ks some people talk about on this site.

I guess we will be allowed to make 9 substitutes in the first Premiership game will we?

Anyone who is taking the result of this game as an indicator of our fortunes next season really hasn''t got a clue about football at all.

"Happy with a defeat to a poor Championship team? Lambert needs to wake up and smell the coffee. It''s all very well wasting most of preseason playing park teams, does he even know we are playing in the Premier League next season??!! You wouldn''t think so looking at the signings made so far, we need some Prem experience and we need it fast!!" (Ged Steroo, 27/07/2011)

[:@]

Lambert is a planner and he will have used this match to look at the bigger picture. I am sure he will have learned more about his new players and who fits the system by the way he appears to have sent the team out to play.

They appear, from comments of those who were there, to have been trying to play into their own system rather than play a game expressly to beat Palace - which would be futile.

Even if things went wrong or came up sub-standard there is more to learn at this stage than had we breezed along as per the earlier fitness only games.

Palace have been a pain in recent seasons and I suspect this fact lies behind the over expressed disappointment of some.

Would be interesting to know what ball we used for the game, I presume we''ve been training with the Premiership ball and a lot of medium range passes were being over/under hit, but pretty much everyone who tried them. If we were using a different ball maybe that would explain some of it? (Not really an excuse but maybe a slight explanation).

Friendlies are glorified training sessions where managers can experiment with various ideas and systems, as well as topping up players match fitness. People should remember Palace are about 2/3 weeks ahead of us in pre season preparation as well. I really wouldn''t read too much into this result. Last time we went to Crystal Palace, Theoklitos got a clean sheet and we won the game 1-0. Not exactly an indication of what lay ahead!