Sign in to follow this  
Howson is now!

Squad Numbers

So it would appear Tierney is changing his squad number this season, because that''s certainly not Tierney wearing 32 in the pre-season training photos.Do we think anyone else will change?Or do we think players just wear any old shorts in training?

I rang the ticket office about the new away kit and personalisation and they said the squad numbers will be released at the end of the week when the kit is released for general sale so I guess you will find out then!

Cool. Even though he wore 15 at Colchester as well, I''m waiting to make sure Fox doesn''t change his to either Gill''s vacant 4 or (hopefully) Hughes'' soon to be vacant 8. Haha.

Why not? Forlan was no. 5 at one point in his career, and Huckerby was 6

the days of more conventional (sp) squad numbers have gone

Tierney has #23 in training pics, wouldn''t be the most surprising switch ever. Going on the training kit, Johnson is #4, Morison #5 and Bennett #17; I''d say Morison isn''t likely pinned down (#5 would be a bit perculiar for a centre forward) and think he might switch with Barnett or Ward but the other two seem about right to me. As pointed out before Hughes'' #8 will more than likely become available, then the lowest free number we have is #12 followed by #25 and (assuming Mr Smith can be persuaded to shove off) #26- Pilks, Vaughan, De Laet, Naughton? Guess we''ll find out at the end of the week!

Now we''re in the Premiership with the 25 man squad limit for players over 21 years old, it will be interesting to see "how brutal" the club is in reallocating squad numbers?

From the numbers mentioned above this has the potential for numbers 1 to 26 being for players over 21 (the exception being Rudd as an under 21 keeping no 13) with the under 21''s likely to feature (Smith K, Adeyemi, Francomb) having 27 to 29 inclusive, with the remainder of over 21''s being allocated numbers 30 plus?

Just a thought?

Looks like the new squad numbers have been allocated, as detailed on the main Club website. No real surprises, although six players have no numbers currently allocated.

As expected - Johnson at 4, Morison 5, Vaughan 8, Pilkington 12, Bennett at 17, Adeyemi moved to 27, Tierney at 23, De Laet 24, Naughton 25.

No numbers allocated to Smith, Hughes, McNamee, McDonald, Johnson or Tudor Jones.

Am I the only one thinking Morison at 5 is an odd choice?!

No AJ I would of prefered him to swap with Barnett for 20, his previous number at millwall and Leon have number 5

Forlan wore #5 during his time with Villarreal. Squad numbers no longer work in the manner they used to, they''re a marketing tool now rather than a position indicator.

The rampant traditionalist in me is slightly appalled at that and it would have been so easy, as someone''s already said, to give Barnett a proper centreback number and Morrison his old Millwall #20.

Anyway.... moving on, I suppose this shows us as near to the 25-man squad as possible with C Martin and Wilbraham obviously featuring.