Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

Back From Roots Hall

I''m sure you all know the starting line up, I think it was similar to the team that finished the game on Tuesday night?We deployed the 4-5-1 system, obviously trying it out to see how it will go in the Prem.  Morison played up front on his own for about 60 minutes, and was replaced by Wilbraham.  To be honest I''d like to see the possession stats because we must have been in control of the ball for the vast majority.  By playing 4-5-1 we never looked too much of a threat going forward, apart from on the counter.  Saying that, we weren''t troubled too often at the back, although we were losing out on headers from set pieces on various occasions.A comfortable display, one which would be expected with the formation we played.  No one really stood out, although Naughton looks handy, Wes played well.  We suffered from holding the ball for too long at points, Johnson and Whitbread the main culprits, as Southend really pressed us, and there were a couple of mix ups at the back.  Rudd looked a bit shaky.Highlight of the night - Neil Harris sticking his middle finger up at some gobby fan at the back.

Cheers for the report ncfcstar, sounds like their ground is like a rhyming slang for what we done tonight, Roots Hall = ...................f**k all!

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I''m sure you all know the starting line up, I think it was similar to the team that finished the game on Tuesday night?We deployed the 4-5-1 system, obviously trying it out to see how it will go in the Prem.  Morison played up front on his own for about 60 minutes, and was replaced by Wilbraham.  To be honest I''d like to see the possession stats because we must have been in control of the ball for the vast majority.  By playing 4-5-1 we never looked too much of a threat going forward, apart from on the counter.  Saying that, we weren''t troubled too often at the back, although we were losing out on headers from set pieces on various occasions.A comfortable display, one which would be expected with the formation we played.  No one really stood out, although Naughton looks handy, Wes played well.  We suffered from holding the ball for too long at points, Johnson and Whitbread the main culprits, as Southend really pressed us, and there were a couple of mix ups at the back.  Rudd looked a bit shaky.Highlight of the night - Neil Harris sticking his middle finger up at some gobby fan at the back.[/quote]Yeah obvious, considering we were playing Southend.

[quote user="Twitchy"]Cheers for the report ncfcstar, sounds like their ground is like a rhyming slang for what we done tonight, Roots Hall = ...................f**k all![/quote]About right Twitchy.And to anyone who was saying Holty looks fat, I thought he looked in the best shape I''ve seen him in an NCFC shirt.  Obviously he didn''t play, but he was there warming up.

[quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="ncfcstar"]We deployed the 4-5-1 system, obviously trying it out to see how it will go in the Prem.  [/quote]Yeah obvious, considering we were playing Southend.[/quote]Sorry, who are you?Playing Southend has nothing to do with it, we were trying a different system out, we could have been playing Dereham for all it mattered; the point of the match was to try it out and it worked.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="ncfcstar"]We deployed the 4-5-1 system, obviously trying it out to see how it will go in the Prem.  [/quote]Yeah obvious, considering we were playing Southend.[/quote]Sorry, who are you?Playing Southend has nothing to do with it, we were trying a different system out, we could have been playing Dereham for all it mattered; the point of the match was to try it out and it worked.[/quote]Me obviously

[quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Gene Tierney"][quote user="ncfcstar"]We deployed the 4-5-1 system, obviously trying it out to see how it will go in the Prem.  [/quote]Yeah obvious, considering we were playing Southend.[/quote]Sorry, who are you?Playing Southend has nothing to do with it, we were trying a different system out, we could have been playing Dereham for all it mattered; the point of the match was to try it out and it worked.[/quote]Me obviously [/quote]No you are you. I am me.I think.....

I too went to the game and for the majority of the game we were awful.

If we play at that level against Wigan we will be crucified.

We played some nice passing in patches but overall was poor and gave the ball away so easily.

Naughton was shocking and i mean truly shocking the amount of times under no pressure that he passed to a southend player or to the touchline was embarrassing.

We looked steady at the back, Bennet was really disappointing, as was johnson, Wes was the stand out player in the first half. Morison was left on his own up front and didnt do much in the game.

Second half wasn''t much better my new gf going to her first game commented on how slow Wilbraham was when he came on, C Martin played on really good defence spllitting pass and had a free kick saved at the end.

The stand out thing for me was the ruluctance to shoot, we tried to walk it in the net when we could have easily got shot away from the edge of the box.

Overall a pretty crap game.

[quote user="Paul"]I too went to the game and for the majority of the game we were awful. If we play at that level against Wigan we will be crucified. We played some nice passing in patches but overall was poor and gave the ball away so easily. Naughton was shocking and i mean truly shocking the amount of times under no pressure that he passed to a southend player or to the touchline was embarrassing. We looked steady at the back, Bennet was really disappointing, as was johnson, Wes was the stand out player in the first half. Morison was left on his own up front and didnt do much in the game. Second half wasn''t much better my new gf going to her first game commented on how slow Wilbraham was when he came on, C Martin played on really good defence spllitting pass and had a free kick saved at the end. The stand out thing for me was the ruluctance to shoot, we tried to walk it in the net when we could have easily got shot away from the edge of the box. Overall a pretty crap game.[/quote]

Pretty standard pre-season fare then...

Pre-season is about finding a system that will work for you, and of course regaining/maintaining fitness.

Also, do you expect players to be putting in 100% do or die performances? You don''t want to risk an injury, knacker yourself out or anything else.

We all know whatever happens in pre-season, it will probably be completely different come August at the DW.

Someone pointed out on another post (Palace I think) that in the League One season we beat Wigan in pre season yet lost 7-1 to Col on the opening day.

Of course, we could just sack Lambert

Anyone have any idea why the highlights on C-Player show Elliott Bennett being subbed on two different occasions?

Mason 47,

Bennett''s "double substitution" seems to be explained by someone on another Saarfend-related thread who actually went to the game:

"Highlights for me was ... Bennett deciding he''d had enough and taking his place on the bench, even thi he hadn''t been subbed!"