Sign in to follow this  
Lets be aving you!

They just don't understand Norwich City

The other day my wife (who comes from the Midlands, I hasten to add) came out with a classic comment about Norwich City.

Talking about how I love following the team round the country, she commented that "I just don''t get football. I mean Norwich City. What is it? It''s just a brand!"

Reminds me of when my parents moved from Norwich to Suffolk for their retirement in the late 70s. Bobby Robson was in his heyday and Ipswich were pretty much always finishing above Norwich. My Dad (a Gooner fan from when he grew up in London) said to me, in all seriousness, "Well, you could always start going to watch Ipswich".

I know I have green-and-yellow tinted specs, but does anyone else''s family simply not get Norwich City?

My other half is the same, her son is an ITFC ''fan'' and she keeps badgering me to swap from Norwich as it would be good bonding!

Never go the enemy. Lamerts army through and through

its really something your born into, and if you dont and pick up a team in later life it will never be the same. Its not just the team but it tha aflliaction with the City and the county as a whole, goes with a pride of our identity... people who dont have that kind of bond with where they are from will never understand it.

Norwich fans are born......not createdWe do not chose......we are chosenThose that understand......need no explanationThose that do not understand......Do not matter

Agree with all this but the ''county'' bit is not quite correct.

I was born in Gt Yarmouth, but I know many who were born or live in many areas of Suffolk who are as ardent in their support as the rest of us.

We have a good support of yellas in and around Bury St Edmunds and of course many more in the border areas.

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"]Harry you need to correct your banner mate. You''ve put chose instead of choose. Just letting you know.[/quote]Thanks, must have had a brain fart, changed now.  [:$]

Norwich City is a brand now these days. As is all the others.  Sport is selling out in general.  Football has been at it for years.  Take Manure, they dropped the ''FC'' years back for the sake of the ''business''.  We won''t be far behind them if success continues.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Agree with all this but the ''county'' bit is not quite correct.

I was born in Gt Yarmouth, but I know many who were born or live in many areas of Suffolk who are as ardent in their support as the rest of us.

We have a good support of yellas in and around Bury St Edmunds and of course many more in the border areas.[/quote]I have lived in Lowestoft all my life (although I was born in the JPH which is Norfolk), but if people ask me where I''m from, I just say I''m from Norwich and I''m a Norfolk lad, to be honest, Lowestoft is more of a Norfolk town anyway, far bigger Norwich fan base here than Ipswich.

I told my Mrs that I would marry her on two conditions 1) that she take my last name and 2) that she support Norwich...she did both. Used to be a Brum fan in her youth, not any more.

[quote user="birchfest"]its really something your born into, and if you dont and pick up a team in later life it will never be the same. Its not just the team but it tha aflliaction with the City and the county as a whole, goes with a pride of our identity... people who dont have that kind of bond with where they are from will never understand it.[/quote]

Spot on post..... i try telling this to all the glory hunters at work but they stare straight through with blank face!!! and when i try to tell them that going to a game, following a team where your from, pride of identity etc etc, when they sit on a bar stoll watching Man U on sky, they just dont get it!!

Being from Norfolk and having lived in Norwich for 5 years, it''ll always be NCFC for me. Simple as that.Non league, however, it''s Gorleston FC, I suppose !!

I have to speak up for the ''outsiders''

My parents were born in Lowestoft and left when they got married, I was brought up in Leeds and the first live game of football I saw was Norwich when I was 7, I have been hooked ever since (32 now).

I love everything to do with Norwich city, all my relatives (and I mean ALL) live in Lowestoft and they are shit supporters and only talk about them when they do well.

I''ve been to probably only 30 away game in my life and 12 games at home (even though it''s nowhere near ''home'' for me), every game in the last 7 years I have listened to when possible, my wife thinks I''m mental and doesn''t understand how I can get so passionate about somewhere I''ve never lived

but my blood runs yellow and green, My wife is pregnant and I can''t wait to take my future child to carrow road, buy them there first Norwich top and make them fall in love with Norwich city football club just as I have

OTBC!!!!!!!!

Birchfest said affiliation with the city/county, rather than necessarily having lived there all your life, and I agree with that. My Dad grew up in Norfolk, and that side of the family are still there, so I visit often and love the city/county.

I''ve never lived there though. Born in Barnsley and then lived in Nottinghamshire whilst growing up. I think that although personally I''ve never lived there, I''ve still got a "link" with the city because of my family, and it is almost a second home.

If you just happened to support someone without a link whatsoever to the city, I think it would be a totally different experience though.

Nice to see you on this side of the virtual world Aggy! :)

I think the bit about wanting to support someone without a link of any kind, is a bit ''unusual''. Is it more about strength of personality, wanting to ''fit in'' or wanting to be associated with something succesful?

You don''t (often!) get someone , say born and bred in Manchester (where a top notch side is on your doorstep), being a Leyton Orient fan, but you will certainly get plenty of Manc fans speaking Cockerneeee.