Sign in to follow this  
cambscanary

Fernandes buying QPR???

Taken from BBC website:

Air Asia tycoon Tony Fernandes is plotting a £100m move to buy Queens Park Rangers. Fernandes, 47, is the team principal for Formula 1 outfit Team Lotus and QPR have issued a statement confirming "preliminary discussions" have taken place over a sale.

Be interesting to see whether he puts his hand in his pocket for them baring in mind there were rumours of him coming here a little while ago. If he is prepared to splash the cash lets hope he doesn''t buy the club in time for him to put his hand in his pocket before the window shuts.........

The cowboys in charge of QPR wont sell, they mean to milk the club and then clear off when they get relegated. The treatment of their fanbase has been truly appauling. As for Fernandes he is another not to touch with a barge pole. One thing if you are a supporter if not why get involved. Look what a pickle Birmingham are in now

Flavio Briatore used to be involved in Formula 1.. Tony Fernandes IS involved in formula 1... its a way back in for briatore maybe?the sale will go through...

[quote user="cambscanary"]

Taken from BBC website:

Air Asia tycoon Tony Fernandes is plotting a £100m move to buy Queens Park Rangers. Fernandes, 47, is the team principal for Formula 1 outfit Team Lotus and QPR have issued a statement confirming "preliminary discussions" have taken place over a sale.

Be interesting to see whether he puts his hand in his pocket for them baring in mind there were rumours of him coming here a little while ago. If he is prepared to splash the cash lets hope he doesn''t buy the club in time for him to put his hand in his pocket before the window shuts.........

[/quote]

The QPR statement:

http://www.qpr.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~2404328,00.html

was a masterpiece in how NOT to try to explain financial affairs to fans. As to Fernandes, I think there is still a question as to how rich he is. Also whether his takeover (If it happens) will mean Mittal, who has got real money, will still be in the picture.

Fernandes rumoured to be worth around £300m when discussed re City investment.

Is he really going to pay £100m for QPR a 1/3 of his fortune for a club with limited potential, is he going to relinquish his F1 interest which if it is to be successful will need most of his fortune.

I don''t believe TF''s involvement, hope Briatore/Ecclestone etc. stay to ruin Rangers

[quote user="pete"]Fernandes rumoured to be worth around £300m when discussed re City investment.

Is he really going to pay £100m for QPR a 1/3 of his fortune for a club with limited potential, is he going to relinquish his F1 interest which if it is to be successful will need most of his fortune.

I don''t believe TF''s involvement, hope Briatore/Ecclestone etc. stay to ruin Rangers[/quote]He wouldn''t need to, with a leveraged buy out he could acquire the club with only a few million, if any at all - structured correctly the club would buy itself for him.Having said that I last saw his estimated wealth in the £180m region, not exactly Abramovich.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="pete"]Fernandes rumoured to be worth around £300m when discussed re City investment. Is he really going to pay £100m for QPR a 1/3 of his fortune for a club with limited potential, is he going to relinquish his F1 interest which if it is to be successful will need most of his fortune. I don''t believe TF''s involvement, hope Briatore/Ecclestone etc. stay to ruin Rangers[/quote]

He wouldn''t need to, with a leveraged buy out he could acquire the club with only a few million, if any at all - structured correctly the club would buy itself for him.

Having said that I last saw his estimated wealth in the £180m region, not exactly Abramovich.
[/quote]

---

Not exactly Abramovich, not yet. However his wealth is essentially his stakes in his various airline businesses, and they seem still to have growth potential (certainly AirAsia) and in some cases to be on the verge of public offerings. His wealth could rise sharply. But I still wonder how much money he would be willing to put into any football team, given what seems like a strong emotional commitment to Lotus.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="pete"]Fernandes rumoured to be worth around £300m when discussed re City investment. Is he really going to pay £100m for QPR a 1/3 of his fortune for a club with limited potential, is he going to relinquish his F1 interest which if it is to be successful will need most of his fortune. I don''t believe TF''s involvement, hope Briatore/Ecclestone etc. stay to ruin Rangers[/quote]He wouldn''t need to, with a leveraged buy out he could acquire the club with only a few million, if any at all - structured correctly the club would buy itself for him.Having said that I last saw his estimated wealth in the £180m region, not exactly Abramovich.[/quote]

---

Not exactly Abramovich, not yet. However his wealth is essentially his stakes in his various airline businesses, and they seem still to have growth potential (certainly AirAsia) and in some cases to be on the verge of public offerings. His wealth could rise sharply. But I still wonder how much money he would be willing to put into any football team, given what seems like a strong emotional commitment to Lotus.

[/quote]AirAsian have recently signed a big deal with a Japanese Airline to become Japan''s first budget airline - that might add a couple of zeros to his worth over the next few years.I do wonder if it is really him, he has been linked to a string of clubs (including us) and nothing has ever come about - the F1 link makes this story seem a little too convenient to me.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="pete"]Fernandes rumoured to be worth around £300m when discussed re City investment. Is he really going to pay £100m for QPR a 1/3 of his fortune for a club with limited potential, is he going to relinquish his F1 interest which if it is to be successful will need most of his fortune. I don''t believe TF''s involvement, hope Briatore/Ecclestone etc. stay to ruin Rangers[/quote]He wouldn''t need to, with a leveraged buy out he could acquire the club with only a few million, if any at all - structured correctly the club would buy itself for him.Having said that I last saw his estimated wealth in the £180m region, not exactly Abramovich.[/quote]

---

[/quote]AirAsian have recently signed a big deal with a Japanese Airline to become Japan''s first budget airline - that might add a couple of zeros to his worth over the next few years.I do wonder if it is really him, he has been linked to a string of clubs (including us) and nothing has ever come about - the F1 link makes this story seem a little too convenient to me. [/quote]Don''t get me wrong I am not suggesting he has to work in Tesco on a Saturday to get by but holdings in airline companies are not the same as liquid wealth, football clubs are cash intensive business and wealth from shares are not the same thing.Be interesting to see what happens with QPR, I get the impression that the current owners are just not interested in any long term investment and to get QPR as a regular Prem club will be very expensive - they need a ground rebuild and squad strengthening. I have them picked as relegation favorites this year.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="pete"]Fernandes rumoured to be worth around £300m when discussed re City investment. Is he really going to pay £100m for QPR a 1/3 of his fortune for a club with limited potential, is he going to relinquish his F1 interest which if it is to be successful will need most of his fortune. I don''t believe TF''s involvement, hope Briatore/Ecclestone etc. stay to ruin Rangers[/quote]

He wouldn''t need to, with a leveraged buy out he could acquire the club with only a few million, if any at all - structured correctly the club would buy itself for him.

Having said that I last saw his estimated wealth in the £180m region, not exactly Abramovich.
[/quote]

---

[/quote]

AirAsian have recently signed a big deal with a Japanese Airline to become Japan''s first budget airline - that might add a couple of zeros to his worth over the next few years.

I do wonder if it is really him, he has been linked to a string of clubs (including us) and nothing has ever come about - the F1 link makes this story seem a little too convenient to me.
[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong I am not suggesting he has to work in Tesco on a Saturday to get by but holdings in airline companies are not the same as liquid wealth, football clubs are cash intensive business and wealth from shares are not the same thing.

Be interesting to see what happens with QPR, I get the impression that the current owners are just not interested in any long term investment and to get QPR as a regular Prem club will be very expensive - they need a ground rebuild and squad strengthening. I have them picked as relegation favorites this year.

[/quote]

Indeed. At a slight tangent, the asking price for Ecclestone''s controlling stake in QPR is £100m. The cost of buying Smith and Jones''s controlling stake in Norwich City is £10m.

It might be arguable that in non-footballiing terms (property development potential and the like) QPR is worth more than Norwich City, but in every footballing sense there is no way - either historically or currently or for the foreseeable future - that QPR is ten times more valuable than our club. At least one of those prices is not right.