Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Out of our 7 new signings....

[quote user="Hunter106"]I was having a similar discussion today at work, about whether the fact that Lambert was buying unproven players was the right way to go. The way I see it is, Lambert wants to survive in the Premier League as much as we do, I think he has proven over the past two years that he knows exactly what he is doing, and understands the types of players he needs to bring in to both have the talent on the pitch and have the right ethos to fit in with his team.

I am pretty sure that if Lambert believed the right way to go about things was to sign these proven players, then we would have seen the likes of Bullard, Boothroyd, Dyer, Graham come into the club. I cant believe that anyone would question his decisions, when he knows the ins and outs of football probably better than the 24,000 who regularly go to Carrow Road.[/quote]Lambert has shown an amazing ability to adapt- slow starts to both seasons but then getting it sorted... I just worry about the players being able to do what he will need them to after a few weeks this time.I have no doubt that Lambert will know adapt to the prem but it just does seem to catch out so many people to start with these players were individually nothing special two divisions down before they worked as Lamberts team.

I''m not unhappy with what we have but we are going to be shown up for pace at the front and the back in the prem.

Central defense is weak. It wasn''t exactly solid last season against strikers that miss chances.

Strikers don''t miss chances in the PL?

No- not the gilt edged ones a soft defense provide.

I don''t see Holt, Jackson, Wilbraham, Morrison, Vaughan or  Martin getting to many chances as they all (maybe not so much Morrison) lack either pace or strength. I am not convinced by the finishing of AW, JV or Morrison yet.

Based on what you ''think'' rather than evidence to suggest otherwise.

Apart from how they play and what I see when I watch Prem games you are absolutely right.

I believe Lambert will get the absolute best out of all his players but he has never played or managed in the Prem and I don''t think it is like any other arena in football.

22 players, a referee, couple of goals..... football is football.

Of course... yes... errr, right, next!

The prem is fast AND rough and I don''t know how those two key areas can cope with that.

I beg to differ, the lower leagues are for the bruisers.

You don''t watch much Premier league football then.

By January Lambert will know what he needs and add it but I think we could survive with 2-3 more players now- if we wait til January I can see a repeat of 2004/05 with Ashton coming but too late.

Which 2-3 players? Names on a postcard please.

Now if I knew that I''d be emailing the club not posting on a message board! I don''t suggest that we are missing players that are available and going to other clubs (apart from maybe Lita) but am concerned that PL feels happy with what he has when I think we are still a bit of class short.

Names out of a hat... Shane Long? Julien Faubert? I wasn''t so much thinking specifics as types we seem to be missing.

Thats a fair point that Lambert is able to adapt, but wouldn''t we be caught out by ''slow start'' syndrome whoever we brought? By buying ''proven'' players, this dosent automatically mean that we will get off to a flying start.

And I don''t believe you are correct in saying that we have had a slow start to the two previous seasons under Lambert. For starters when he first joined us, we were pretty much rock bottom. Then slowly but surely we started to climb up the table. Now im not going to delve into all of the ''Gunn'' stuff but the slow start in League One was down to him in my opinion.

Last season, we lost the first game, but I was looking through a few programmes and was amazed to see that we were second around October/November time. I had always though things had started to pick up round Christmas, and was really startled at how we had been round the top 6 for pretty much the whole season. Once again I dont think you can really class this as a slow start.

As for the players not being anything special, from last year you had Croft''s who had just won Brighton''s player of the year, Jackson who had been on a scoring spree in League Two and was also a Canadian International, Fox was a bit of a gem of a find and Surman was someone who had promised so much in his early years but was plagued with injuries.

This year Bennett was highly rated at Brighton, so much so the management would not sell him to us in January as they saw him as vital to their promotion campaign. Pilkington is also highly regarded and Clark and their fans rate him as good enough for the premiership. De Laat is putting in the performances, Naughton comes on good feedback, Vaughan is similar to Surman, Leeds wanted to keep Johnson and Morrison has obviously impressed Lambert so much as he was in for him in January.

I dont think these show that the players are individually ''nothing special''. It''s also important to note that the individuals contribute to a whole team, and that has been the ethos that Lambert has built.

[quote user="Hunter106"]Thats a fair point that Lambert is able to adapt, but wouldn''t we be caught out by ''slow start'' syndrome whoever we brought? By buying ''proven'' players, this dosent automatically mean that we will get off to a flying start.

And I don''t believe you are correct in saying that we have had a slow start to the two previous seasons under Lambert. For starters when he first joined us, we were pretty much rock bottom. Then slowly but surely we started to climb up the table. Now im not going to delve into all of the ''Gunn'' stuff but the slow start in League One was down to him in my opinion.

Last season, we lost the first game, but I was looking through a few programmes and was amazed to see that we were second around October/November time. I had always though things had started to pick up round Christmas, and was really startled at how we had been round the top 6 for pretty much the whole season. Once again I dont think you can really class this as a slow start.

As for the players not being anything special, from last year you had Croft''s who had just won Brighton''s player of the year, Jackson who had been on a scoring spree in League Two and was also a Canadian International, Fox was a bit of a gem of a find and Surman was someone who had promised so much in his early years but was plagued with injuries.

This year Bennett was highly rated at Brighton, so much so the management would not sell him to us in January as they saw him as vital to their promotion campaign. Pilkington is also highly regarded and Clark and their fans rate him as good enough for the premiership. De Laat is putting in the performances, Naughton comes on good feedback, Vaughan is similar to Surman, Leeds wanted to keep Johnson and Morrison has obviously impressed Lambert so much as he was in for him in January.

I dont think these show that the players are individually ''nothing special''. It''s also important to note that the individuals contribute to a whole team, and that has been the ethos that Lambert has built.[/quote]OK- ''Nothing special'' does read a lot harsher than I meant it.. but I stick by the sentiment- they were good, but not clearly playing below their potential. Certainly not poor players but a two division leap (and the prem is really more than one step up from champ!) is a big ask from players who were not coasting in the lower leagues!The slow start thing... I take your point on the League 1 season but it was a steady build not an instant change and last year those first few games were bad- the turn around was then quick... my fear is that in this league that turn around is going to be harder and the punishment for getting it wrong in the first couple of games to players who don''t know this league can be hugely demoralising and severe! Just look at Drury last time we went up... I am coming across as very ''doom and gloom'' here but I am just concerned that while I believe in Lamberts ability to manage in this league he may be caught out with too much of his squad unable to cope with his demands of them this year- it is easy to be drowned by christmas in this league and the promoted teams always seem to drop away after Feb when the established group start to hit top gear.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Boyo"]What you need is pace, strength and skill and all of our signings have the skill and pace or strength just not pace AND strength.  Its only really world class players and Premier League regulars which have all three of those assets and they cost a bomb so we will have to make do with the signings we have got with just two of the three assets and at the moment I''m more than happy with them.[/quote]

I think every prem team needs one or two with all these attributes to stay up... to be honest I think skill is the least necessary to be a success in this league!
[/quote]

Says it all really doesn''t it? Absolutely clueless!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]J.g you really are an antagonising little cow arn''t you[/quote]

What for talking sense?

[quote user="Prem1"]Nothing very exciting about any of the signings and we have a whole squad that needs to step up not just one or two players . Maybe we bought to early and should of waited untill now when the likes of Pacheco and Lansbury seem to be available , those two for me would have been head and shoulders better than anything we have signed .
[/quote]

That statement is based on what exactly?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Boyo"]What you need is pace, strength and skill and all of our signings have the skill and pace or strength just not pace AND strength.  Its only really world class players and Premier League regulars which have all three of those assets and they cost a bomb so we will have to make do with the signings we have got with just two of the three assets and at the moment I''m more than happy with them.[/quote]I think every prem team needs one or two with all these attributes to stay up... to be honest I think skill is the least necessary to be a success in this league![/quote]

[/quote]Haha, I''m not saying you can be completely devoid of skill but in terms of flair- its the least important of these three attributes in the Prem. I can see how that would read wrong as we havent signed any real flair players although they all have ''skill'' of some sort.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Boyo"]What you need is pace, strength and skill and all of our signings have the skill and pace or strength just not pace AND strength.  Its only really world class players and Premier League regulars which have all three of those assets and they cost a bomb so we will have to make do with the signings we have got with just two of the three assets and at the moment I''m more than happy with them.[/quote]

I think every prem team needs one or two with all these attributes to stay up... to be honest I think skill is the least necessary to be a success in this league!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha, I''m not saying you can be completely devoid of skill but in terms of flair- its the least important of these three attributes in the Prem. I can see how that would read wrong as we havent signed any real flair players although they all have ''skill'' of some sort.

[/quote]

Many thanks for that in-depth analysis.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="Boyo"]What you need is pace, strength and skill and all of our signings have the skill and pace or strength just not pace AND strength.  Its only really world class players and Premier League regulars which have all three of those assets and they cost a bomb so we will have to make do with the signings we have got with just two of the three assets and at the moment I''m more than happy with them.[/quote]I think every prem team needs one or two with all these attributes to stay up... to be honest I think skill is the least necessary to be a success in this league![/quote]

[/quote]Haha, I''m not saying you can be completely devoid of skill but in terms of flair- its the least important of these three attributes in the Prem. I can see how that would read wrong as we havent signed any real flair players although they all have ''skill'' of some sort.[/quote]

Many thanks for that in-depth analysis.

[/quote]?

I''ll Stick up for for Yellow Shirt slightly & say that I feel allot of people on this board are viewing our signings with yellow tinted glasses.We really have no clue how our new signings will cope..... we even have no idea how last years squad will cope ! Every single player we have is un-proven at premiership level BUT that doesn''t mean they won''t cut it. It is a risk but Lambert has decided to take this route & he has earned the right to make that call however it turns out. I have hope !In terms of value for money & being wise it''s a step forward from last time we were in the prem as I can see all our signings doing well for us long term regardless how this season goes (excluding loans obviously). To put this in perspective of the debate above tho I think everyone who has signed for us we could have just as easily signed in the Championship. I do however feel we will sign 1 more player & he will be the pick of the bunch.