Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Out of our 7 new signings....

Pilkington, just hope we don''t have to wait too long before he gets some game time.

I''m waiting to see if Bennett plays in the friendlies vs Parma and Zaragoza. If he plays for a fair bit in them then i''m putting him in my dream team. He;s the one i''ve marked out as the one to watch for us. Was speaking to people from Gorleston FC and they were astounded by his pace and he keeps the ball close as well!

I''m really not too impressed with any of our signings tbh. The only potential siting I got excited about was snodgrass. If players like Bennet and pilkington were that good how come many people had hardly heard of them? They certainly were not in high demand. None of our signings have proven themselves despite having potential, I would have been much happier if we''d had signed at least 1 proven player for defence midfield and attack.

There is going to be an awfull lot of expectancy on so many young players. A bit of experience would have made the step into the premiership a little easier. If we were still a championship club I''d be very happy with our transfers but were not.

Nothing very exciting about any of the signings and we have a whole squad that needs to step up not just one or two players . Maybe we bought to early and should of waited untill now when the likes of Pacheco and Lansbury seem to be available , those two for me would have been head and shoulders better than anything we have signed .

I think Pilkington. I have seen a collection of his goals. Many of them came from him receiving the ball on the wing, running and beating one or two defenders and then letting fly at distance, with either foot,

I don''t know how good he is at crossing the ball, but Lee Clarke certainly rates him, and said that he was real Premiership potential. Clarke is a good judge.

"I think Pilkington. I have seen a collection of his goals. Many of them came from him receiving the ball on the wing, running and beating one or two defenders and then letting fly at distance, with either foot,

I don''t know how good he is at crossing the ball, but Lee Clarke certainly rates him, and said that he was real Premiership potential. Clarke is a good judge."

You said about Clarke being a good judge, well I''d just like to add that apparently Ferguson was talking about players who had developed through the Manchester United youth system but had been released, and he said that Pilkington was a player who in hindsight could have made it there and that he has a real future in the game.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I''m really not too impressed with any of our signings tbh. The only potential siting I got excited about was snodgrass. If players like Bennet and pilkington were that good how come many people had hardly heard of them? They certainly were not in high demand. None of our signings have proven themselves despite having potential, I would have been much happier if we''d had signed at least 1 proven player for defence midfield and attack. There is going to be an awfull lot of expectancy on so many young players. A bit of experience would have made the step into the premiership a little easier. If we were still a championship club I''d be very happy with our transfers but were not.[/quote]

Oh dear - therefore, you obviously are not impressed with Lambert''s ability to sign good team players then........ With regards to your Bennet & Pilkington comment, I suppose the same could have been said of Holt when we signed him??

[quote user="Prem1"]Nothing very exciting about any of the signings and we have a whole squad that needs to step up not just one or two players . Maybe we bought to early and should of waited untill now when the likes of Pacheco and Lansbury seem to be available , those two for me would have been head and shoulders better than anything we have signed .
[/quote]

I think everybody agrees that the whole squad needs to step up, however, to compare the quality of these signings against players who didn''t regularly start for us last season (and who don''t seem to be high on the "I''m glad we''ve got him list" of their respective clubs) seems to me to be somewhat out of kilter with Lambert''s opinion. Your comment implying that Morrison, Vaughan, Bennet, Pilkington are not exciting signings probably needs to be reviewed!

I wonder who''s opinions I''m going to plump for?[^o)][^o)]

Blimey!.....If you haven''t bought into Paul Lambert''s philosophy after back-to back promotions, then I guess you never will....

I wasn''t too sure about Morison and Vaughan, but collectively, and for the relatively low amount of money that has been spent, I think these seven signings are absolutely spot on for NCFC at this moment in time.

Where exactly were these players with Premiership experience going to come from? Birmingham? Blackpool? West Ham? Hull? Burnley? Portsmouth? Many players there to choose from, but all tarred with the relegation brush, and therefore pretty much proven not good enough.

I firmly believe that City''s squad of players is stronger than Blackpool''s at this stage last season, a team heavily reliant on one player, and they went very close to staying up.

Pilkington and Bennett have the potential to surprise a few people, and I guess I, like hopefully the majority, will give this squad of players plenty of slack during the coming season.

Im going to try not to bite to some of the silly comments in this thread... Im still yet to understand the ''proven'' concept. Is that the players from relegated teams who have ''proven'' they arnt good enough and dont have the right menatlity or proven like the superstars in the top 4 who we will never be able to afford? All players from Messi to Giggs had to start somewhere and these young players have been signed on the basis of what they have the potential to become rather than what they once were.As for who im excited about, Bennet, Pilkington and Vaughan for me!

To "unique" and "birchfest" - thank you for putting it so eloquently [Y]

After all the successes we have had under Lambert as well as his shrewd selections, it just amazes me that some people think so negatively.

If one was to take their "no proven prem experience" to it''s next step, then, according to their logic, perhaps we should be looking for a new management team - you know, one with "proven prem experience" ...... (I wonder who they would be "most excited by" - Avram Grant or Ian Holloway?) [8-)]

i''m looking forwards to seeing all of them, funnily enough of all the signings i actually Vaughan will do the best.

I am happy with them all but I do have a question mark over Bradley Johnson, I''ve never really thought he is that good.  As for the ones I am most excited about then probably Bennett and Pilkington because if you have pace and flair then you have potential in any league.  I also am excited about Naughton and Vaughan but that depends on Lamberts strike partnership.

I''m not unhappy with what we have but we are going to be shown up for pace at the front and the back in the prem.Central defense is weak. It wasn''t exactly solid last season against strikers that miss chances.I don''t see Holt, Jackson, Wilbraham, Morrison, Vaughan or  Martin getting to many chances as they all (maybe not so much Morrison) lack either pace or strength. I am not convinced by the finishing of AW, JV or Morrison yet.I believe Lambert will get the absolute best out of all his players but he has never played or managed in the Prem and I don''t think it is like any other arena in football. The prem is fast AND rough and I don''t know how those two key areas can cope with that.By January Lambert will know what he needs and add it but I think we could survive with 2-3 more players now- if we wait til January I can see a repeat of 2004/05 with Ashton coming but too late.

Got to be Pilks and Vaughan for me. Bennett I think could either be brilliant or a flop but really hoping it''s not the latter.

A lot of people excited about Vaughan but the most he has played since 2004 was 16 games last season... if he stays fit he might be a good signing but never had much of a goal return for a striker and seems to be permanently getting injured.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I''m not unhappy with what we have but we are going to be shown up for pace at the front and the back in the prem.

Central defense is weak. It wasn''t exactly solid last season against strikers that miss chances.

I don''t see Holt, Jackson, Wilbraham, Morrison, Vaughan or  Martin getting to many chances as they all (maybe not so much Morrison) lack either pace or strength. I am not convinced by the finishing of AW, JV or Morrison yet.

I believe Lambert will get the absolute best out of all his players but he has never played or managed in the Prem and I don''t think it is like any other arena in football. The prem is fast AND rough and I don''t know how those two key areas can cope with that.
By January Lambert will know what he needs and add it but I think we could survive with 2-3 more players now- if we wait til January I can see a repeat of 2004/05 with Ashton coming but too late.
[/quote]

Lambert realises that which is why we have made the signings we have.  All of our signings either have pace or strength.  Vaughan, Naughton, De Laet, Pilkington all have pace whereas Johnson has strength.  Morison, De Laet and Vaughan both have pace and strength.  Out of those signings four are over 6 foot and two are 5 foot 11.  I think we are more than well equipped to cope with the pace and strength of the Premier League.

My point is that players need both not just one or the other... I''m not convinced about Morrison and Vaughan''s strength but hope I am wrong.

What you need is pace, strength and skill and all of our signings have the skill and pace or strength just not pace AND strength.  Its only really world class players and Premier League regulars which have all three of those assets and they cost a bomb so we will have to make do with the signings we have got with just two of the three assets and at the moment I''m more than happy with them.

[quote user="Boyo"]What you need is pace, strength and skill and all of our signings have the skill and pace or strength just not pace AND strength.  Its only really world class players and Premier League regulars which have all three of those assets and they cost a bomb so we will have to make do with the signings we have got with just two of the three assets and at the moment I''m more than happy with them.[/quote]I think every prem team needs one or two with all these attributes to stay up... to be honest I think skill is the least necessary to be a success in this league!

I really don''t know who I think will stand out. Hope they all eventually blend into the first 11. I''ll take a stab at the dark & say Morrison will be our hero.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"] I''m not unhappy with what we have but we are going to be shown up for pace at the front and the back in the prem.

Central defense is weak. It wasn''t exactly solid last season against strikers that miss chances.

Strikers don''t miss chances in the PL?

I don''t see Holt, Jackson, Wilbraham, Morrison, Vaughan or  Martin getting to many chances as they all (maybe not so much Morrison) lack either pace or strength. I am not convinced by the finishing of AW, JV or Morrison yet.

Based on what you ''think'' rather than evidence to suggest otherwise.

I believe Lambert will get the absolute best out of all his players but he has never played or managed in the Prem and I don''t think it is like any other arena in football.

22 players, a referee, couple of goals..... football is football.

The prem is fast AND rough and I don''t know how those two key areas can cope with that.

I beg to differ, the lower leagues are for the bruisers.

By January Lambert will know what he needs and add it but I think we could survive with 2-3 more players now- if we wait til January I can see a repeat of 2004/05 with Ashton coming but too late.

Which 2-3 players? Names on a postcard please.
[/quote]

If anyone is interested, squad numbers for the new guys on the first team profiles on the official site are as follows:

Johnson     4
Morison     5
Vaughan     8
Pilkington   12
Bennett      17
De Laet     24
Naughton   25

Hasn''t been officially announced yet but that''s as official as we''ve seen so far.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]J.g you really are an antagonising little cow arn''t you[/quote]

Splutter! Splutter! Are you fuming that much you can''t type anymore? Calm down kiddo, it''s only a messageboard.

I was having a similar discussion today at work, about whether the fact that Lambert was buying unproven players was the right way to go. The way I see it is, Lambert wants to survive in the Premier League as much as we do, I think he has proven over the past two years that he knows exactly what he is doing, and understands the types of players he needs to bring in to both have the talent on the pitch and have the right ethos to fit in with his team.

I am pretty sure that if Lambert believed the right way to go about things was to sign these proven players, then we would have seen the likes of Bullard, Boothroyd, Dyer, Graham come into the club. I cant believe that anyone would question his decisions, when he knows the ins and outs of football probably better than the 24,000 who regularly go to Carrow Road.