Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

442 Prediction :-)

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but got my 442 today, with its season preview. I was rather expecting to see us in 19th or 20th, but it says "Paul Lambert + fervent home support + hungry new signings with something to prove = 14th".....now I''m pretty sure we''d all settle for that right now!

I''m guessing that most of the more lazy ''media outlets'' will just go for the usual ''promoted sides relegated'' garbage, so it was rather nice to see this in one of the more serious mags. :-)

Sure majority of people would settle for 17th come end of season, I for one most definately would.

Can''t help but look at a team like Stoke for inspiration personally.

For years they were an average Championship side, now for me a top 10 prem side for the coming years :)

was about to make a thread about this! was just reading mine on the loo! actually they do do their research which was nice to read.

THE PERCEPTION:

Happy-Clappy, banana-coloured relegation fodder who will roll over at the first sight of football overlords like Wayne Rooney or Fernando Torres stepping off the team bus.

THE REALITY:

A well-organised, physically fit side who will give the Premier League their very best shot at playing cultured football the way the club''s fans expect it to be played.

i agree we could do well, but you said look at a side like stoke. Well just look how much they spent, Pennant, Millions on kenwyne-jones and the rest. We just dont spend, ok its good to spend wisely but they have been a lot of quality players available but too much money for us.

[quote user="itsnowornever"]We just dont spend[/quote]No, only more money in one go than we have at any other point in the club''s history.Also comparing us to Stoke is hardly fair.  A lot of their more expensive signings have only come after a year or two of staying up.  We''ve just been promoted two years in a row despite our finances being in quite a bad way for a long time.And finally... FFT''s prediction worries me a tad.  It''s nice that they were generous towards us, but their predictions are rubbish.  Two years ago they predicted us for 16th in League One (albeit this was pre-Lambert) and Southend to finish second, along with Brentford and Gillingham in the play-offs.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

Comparing our spending to any of the ''established'' sides is a bit daft, but we do still have to compete with them - IMO this is where PL has done well in that he has gone for guys who are off radar for many sides. We just have to wait and see whether it comes off.

Of course any prediction isn''t worth anything, be it good or bad, but it is good to see a decent one from a decent mag. 442 does occasionally come up with more leftfield selections but one in our favour isn''t something I''ll complain about...I''ve no doubt that we will all start to get just a little fed up with things when the sun et al write of us off completely.

Isnt one of the senior journalists there a city fan? Or id I dream that?

We can finish that high and its good some journos can see beyond the established. Look at stoke wigan west brom fulham they have all come from the champs and are establishing themselves. Even monied citeh were recently in league one - that changes the club mentality.

The elite 5 may not have changed - but the likes of villa and everton, the remaining old school, have plenty to worry about over the next 10 years or so.

OTBC

I think way back when, a City fan was one of their editors, or something. One not so surprising thing, Danny Mills predicted relegation for us, but he seems incapable of being positive about NCFC.

There certainly isn''t any reason why we (or QPR or Swansea, for that matter) can''t ''do a Stoke'', but it will be tough.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I think way back when, a City fan was one of their editors, or something.[/quote]

---

That was Karen Buchanan. According to Wiki she now works for Radio Norfolk.