Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Sir Bobby - 2 Years Ago Today

One of the greatest men ever associated with the game passed away 2 years ago, R.I.P :(

Just thought this deserved a thread for some of you to leave some thoughts and memories etc.

A true legend in football despite his association with Ipswich.

He was a fantastic manager and everyone he ever managed, coached, worked with seems to have nothing bad to say about him and thats the same with the fans.

As a young, aspiring football coach he is an absolute inspiration, someone i look up to and wish that i could emulate one day no matter how unlikely it is.

A massive loss for football; the game needs more people like him.

It''s hard to be critical of Sir Bobby, despite his connections. R.I.P.

Like the other Sir, Affable Alex,  Bobby Robson had a shaky start at ITFC. They were both a hair''s breadth away from being sacked at the beginning of their tenures at their respective clubs. With Sir Bob, there was even talk of dressing room unrest amongst the Town rabble, which suggests that his amiable demeanour may have evolved through the hard school of knocks that is a managerial career rather than being an innate characteristic. He was apparently quite abrasive as a young manager. Then again, he did have a hard act to follow. Then again footballers are footballers.

Ferguson was supposed to have been saved by a Mark Robins goal.

Point being, if the respective boards of Man. U and Ips--- had been as impatient as today''s results-hungry owners, we may  have  been denied the privelege of witnessing the careers of two of the most successful club managers in English football. Witnessing, not necessarily supporting, I hasten to add.

What chance Peter Grant and Bryann Gunn?     Nah.

This morning on Talksport they were talking about the WC draw.  A thought raced through my head,  it was Bull Dog Bobby and the Italia ''90 tourny